• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Benefits of fasting due to LPS reduction, not calories

Hip

Benefits of fasting due to LPS reduction, not calories

That's just someone's idea or comment, it's not a something demonstrated in a medical study. The thread title makes it sound like new medical research.

In a quick Google search, I could not find much to suggest that fasting reduces LPS. I did find some papers that caloric restriction decreased the ill effects of LPS, but that's perhaps to be expected, as fasting is anti-inflammatory.

Last edited:

S-VV

Indeed, it is just a theory. I posted it here because I couldn't find a better placer for theories. If there is, please tell and I will move the thread.

bertiedog

Well for me fasting is impossible at the moment despite eating a high fat, very low carb diet. Each morning when I wake up I am very weak until my adrenal/thyroid meds kick in which takes a couple of hours.

My blood sugar is fairly low after not eating anything substantial for about 13 hours and I will usually have a bad head developing. I cannot wait to eat something like coconut oil with a good natural peanut butter and maybe a couple of pecans plus a cup of tea. Invariably I have to take some sort of painkiller to stop the head pain going into a migraine.

I really wish I could try fasting for longer but its just out of the question for me unless I wanted to spend the day on the couch which I very definitely don't want to do! One of the reasons that I keep trying to get into ketosis was to see if it would help improve my gut which is of very low diversity and I also have SIBO plus chronic migraine.

One positive is that the SIBO is improving but that also could be due to the Mutaflor I am taking. Nothing is simple or straightforward with this illness!!

Pam

S-VV

Yeah, nothing is straighforwards!!. I solved my thyroid problems by adding some easily digested carbs like honey, that also has antimicrobial effecgs

S-VV

In general low-carb taxes your system a lot, especially the thyroid and adrenals. If you have the genes, go for it, but it makes me very miserable.

Hip

Indeed, it is just a theory. I posted it here because I couldn't find a better placer for theories. If there is, please tell and I will move the thread.

I don't think it is even a theory. It's seems to be just a comment made by someone, that does not appear to be backed up by supporting evidence.

Last edited:

Wolfcub

I cannot handle fasting. I tried it once in my 20s. I was OK then. It did me no harm. Second time I tried it I got the most horrendous belly ache. From then on I realised it doesn't suit me. I have a low BMI and always had and need food to keep myself going. Can't do fasting.
Even less nowadays. Some of my worst days a few months back, I could hardly eat and felt awful, though I was taking fluids. As soon as I could eat again I felt a great benefit and some strength return.