• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Beijing hospital confirms Covid 19 attacks the central nervous system

YippeeKi YOW !!

This is a terrifying article, but on the positive side, as you noted, so much of it is reminiscent of ME that it's possible that a better undertanding of our illness may come out of this, tho God knows, Drs are past-experts at ignoring, avoiding, or redefining the truth of things.

Thank you for posting this link. I'm going to need to read it a second time to absorb it all.

Hip

This is perhaps not surprising. We know that the SARS coronavirus (which is closely related to COVID-19) often causes a chronic ME/CFS-like illness called chronic post-SARS syndrome. So if it can cause an ME/CFS-like illness, you might expect SARS to infect the brain and nervous system, as studies have found viral infection in ME/CFS patient brains. And indeed studies show SARS can enter the brain, where it tends to heavily infect the brainstem.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

This is perhaps not surprising. We know that the SARS coronavirus (which is closely related to COVID-19) often causes a chronic ME/CFS-like illness called chronic post-SARS syndrome. So if it can cause an ME/CFS-like illness, you might expect SARS to infect the brain and nervous system, as studies have found viral infection in ME/CFS patient brains. And indeed studies show SARS can enter the brain, where it tends to heavily infect the brainstem.

We should have invested more in ME/CFS research. But we can be such incredible Fuckwits at times.

YippeeKi YOW !!

We should have invested more in ME/CFS research. But we can be such incredible Fuckwits at times.
:rofl::rofl::rofl: :D:D:_:_:_ .... totally
!!!

Here's the good news, at least possible good news ( tho not for those who get the worst forms of the now dual-variant virus): given the exponential spread of Covid-19, the already sizeable army of ignored, dismissed, and psyched ME patients will increase by numbers so large that even the fuckwits (great term C. Cat ..... I dont know how it slipped my scatological mind and tongue) that so many of us have come to know as our health-care providers will have a desperate and difficult time pretending that ME is all in our heads, doesnt exist, is a 'somatoform' illness for which there is no treatment because, well, there is no disease :bang-head::bang-head::bang-head: :meh:.

Not that I dont think they're up to the challenge, but if nothing else, we'll be able to derive some dark amusement, watching them twist themselves into complex knots finding ways to deny, deny, deny, avoid, dismiss, disrespect.

nyanko_the_sane

Because everyday is Caturday...
With the Covid-19 just starting invade my community, people here are just going nuts like they are everywhere else. I think the focus will really be on Covid-19 for the foreseeable future. When the new clusters of ME/CFS cases begin to emerge in the aftermath of Covid-19 the focus will be on us again, possibly more than ever. So we just have to bide our time and hope we don't get even sicker before this pandemic is over.

Excerpt from a famous paper from last year: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6370741/
For a third of subjects each, their preceding infectious event manifested as respiratory symptoms (e.g. sore throat, rhinorrhea, cough, etc.) or constitutional symptoms (e.g., fever, chills, muscle aches, etc.) while 35% claimed that a specific infection was documented (Table 2). This is comparable to Ramsey's early accounts (80) and Becker's (72) study where upper respiratory infections (URIs) were noticed to be the chief infectious event, followed by “flu-like illness[es],” and, trailing far behind, gastrointestinal infections. In our survey, gastrointestinal (GI) infections were also rare, endorsed only by 10% of those with an infection peri-onset and 6% overall (out of 150 subjects). This might clue clinicians in to a diagnosis of ME/CFS even without a specific pinpointed microbe as certain types of infections (e.g., prostatitis, urinary tract infections, etc.) seem much less likely to progress to ME/CFS.

nyanko_the_sane

Because everyday is Caturday...
Complications from EBV can include encephalitis, cranial and peripheral neuropathies, cerebellitis, polyradiculomyelitis, meningitis, transverse myelitis, and psychiatric abnormalities (whatever they mean by that little nugget) ....

Oh, absolutely! I probably have OCD and a dozen other issues because of this little gem of a virus.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11198493

YippeeKi YOW !!

They will call it post Covid-19 syndrome or the like, and not ME. Nobody pointed to ME with SARS, nobody will point to ME with the Corona virus.
Sadly, I think you're right, in spite of several hopeful expressions I've posted re this to the contrary ....

For one thing, an awful lot of respected (!!!) Drs and researchers would have to admit that they were wrong, and that seems to be generally beyond the skillset of most of humanity, and 'respected' Drs and other members of the medical community particularly ...