• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Beginnings of Post-Covid / Viral Syndrome?

Aerowallah

"Funny" thing is, I had just about every see-sawing, post-flu symptom described here for months after I thought my trigger virus had initially resolved in 2013...then it flattened down and out into long-term CFS...

ruben

Hi there. Don't know if anyone in UK caught BBC breakfast this morning, but there was a lady on there complaining that she was pretty sure she had had covid and 60 days in she was still unwell. It just made me reflect on how taboo Me/Cfs is and how we just accept our plight. Guess we just have to wait for the science.

andyguitar

Hi there. Don't know if anyone in UK caught BBC breakfast this morning, but there was a lady on there complaining that she was pretty sure she had had covid and 60 days in she was still unwell.
Being "Pretty sure" they had covid is'nt grounds for a news story about the long term effect of covid. Typical BBC spreading rumour and panic.

ruben

My point was if numerous people who do get the corona virus are left chronically sick, as people with me/cfs have been for years, might this speed up research that benefits loads of us.

Aerowallah

You may be hearing about children coming down with the Kawasaki-like PMIS (Pediatric Multi-inflammatory Syndrome) aka PMSID (Pediatric Multi-system Inflammatory Disease) aka CMIS (Covid Multi-inflammatory Syndrome), a hyper-immune inflammatory response in which the body attacks the blood vessels, brain, heart and kidneys weeks after the virus appears to have resolved (and antibodies are present). They present with rash, high fever and lethargy, and 80% wind up back in the ICU.

Last edited:

junkcrap50

We really need some "ME/CFS bots" to "spam" all covid sites, articles, facebook groups, comments, etc. saying that "Post-Covid = ME/CFS" and "Don't let medicine silence you like they did with other CFS patients." ME/CFS groups and orgs really need to capitalize on COVID to spread awareness of ME/CFS.

Aerowallah

Sorry if this is linked to elsewhere...

"Doctors are starting to see many emerging long-term effects of COVID-19 and in Italy, neurologists have already created a separate neuro unit for COVID-19 patients, who are being treated for “stroke, delirium, epileptic seizures, and non-specific neurologic syndromes that look very much like encephalitis,” according to Neurology Today. Dr. Chris Ponting, Chair of Medical Bioinformatics at University of Edinburgh, explained to #MEAction that he would “expect that [of the] people who have COVID-19 symptoms quite severely… about 10% [would] have fatigue-like syndromes after 6 months, given current evidence.”

https://www.meaction.net/2020/05/10...-cause-surge-of-chronic-illness-including-me/

nyanko_the_sane

Because everyday is Caturday...
I suspected this was going to be the case from the start. Having experienced post-viral issues from EBV I know all about it. As they were saying 80% of ME/CFS cases are likely post-viral.

You certainly don't want the other shoe to drop, so stay safe, stay inside.