• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BCG vaccination hypothesis

Husband of

https://www.kinder-verstehen.de/wp-content/uploads/BCG_hypothesis_short_251222.pdf

HYPOTHESIS: The Bacillus Calmette–Guerin (BCG) vaccine has notable “trained immunity” effects and was shown to have therapeutic effects in autoimmune diseases like type 1 diabetes (T1D) and Multiple Sclerosis (MS). This most commonly used vaccine worldwide may also be a treatment option for Post Covid Syndrome (PCS) and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)

pattismith

https://www.kinder-verstehen.de/wp-content/uploads/BCG_hypothesis_short_251222.pdf

HYPOTHESIS: The Bacillus Calmette–Guerin (BCG) vaccine has notable “trained immunity” effects and was shown to have therapeutic effects in autoimmune diseases like type 1 diabetes (T1D) and Multiple Sclerosis (MS). This most commonly used vaccine worldwide may also be a treatment option for Post Covid Syndrome (PCS) and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)

BCG vaccine also has a metabolic beneficial effect on Diabetes, so its positive action may be from it's metabolic activity!

BCG Vaccinations Upregulate Myc, a Central Switch for Improved Glucose Metabolism in Diabetes - ScienceDirect
Highlights

T1D has insufficient aerobic glycolysis; this causes insufficient sugar utilization

BCG vaccine lowers blood sugar levels in T1D by augmenting aerobic glycolysis

BCG-induced shift to aerobic glycolysis is associated with Myc activation

Myc has emerged as a pivotal transcription factor for four metabolic pathways:
aerobic glycolysis, glutaminolysis, polyamine synthesis, and HIF-1α/mTOR.

Each of these pathways accelerates the utilization of sugar.

The BCG vaccine, a derivative of Mycobacteria-bovis, has been shown to trigger a long-term correction of blood sugar levels to near normal in type 1 diabetics (T1D).

Here we reveal the underlying mechanisms behind this beneficial microbe-host interaction.

We show that baseline glucose transport is deficient in T1D monocytes but is improved by BCG in vitro and in vivo. We then show, using RNAseq in monocytes and CD4 T cells, that BCG treatment over 56 weeks in humans is associated with upregulation of Myc and activation of nearly two dozen Myc-target genes underlying the four metabolic pathways.

This is the first documentation of BCG induction of Myc and its association with systemic blood sugar control in a chronic disease like diabetes.

, also known as c-Myc, is a family of regulator genes that code for transcription factors that play a major intracellular role in glucose homeostasis (Lewis et al., 1997).

Myc's pivotal role in the control of sugar metabolism first emerged as central target genes were identified in sugar transport and glycolysis, such as involvement of lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) (Ramanathan et al., 2005, Shim et al., 1997).

Myc-regulated glycolysis utilizes lactate dehydrogenase A (LDHA), which converts pyruvate to lactate as part of the glycolytic pathway.

This research evolved into the subsequent identification of 20 putative Myc target genes in the glycolysis pathway (Dang et al., 2009).

Myc upregulates glucose transporter GLUT1, hexokinase 2 (HK2), phosphofructokinase (PFKM), and enolase 1 (ENO1) (Osthus et al., 2000).

Through upregulation of these genes, Myc was effectively contributing heavily to the entire direct multistep process of aerobic glycolysis, a high cellular glucose utilization state.

It is now appreciated that Myc is so central to aerobic glycolysis that nearly all genes encoding glycolytic enzymes are direct Myc targets and are under Myc control

Last edited:

Haley

Interesting. I had the BCG vaccine in 2001 (working in health in an area with relative high TB rates). I was in the last university graduate cohort where it was given though, because the side effects didn't warrant the mandatory vaccinations.

Forummember9922

Interesting. I had the BCG vaccine in 2001 (working in health in an area with relative high TB rates). I was in the last university graduate cohort where it was given though, because the side effects didn't warrant the mandatory vaccinations.
Was there any correlation with symptom worsening or improvement for you around 2001?

Last edited:
you will need 3 vaccines within a year.
I just got my first
How is this working out?
- are you close to getting your 3rd shot?

Did you have side effects?
- positive / negative?

During the MS research The clinical response took 2 years.
But I have read 2 cases of people having an almost immediate effect.

I wonder how many patients are actually trying this
(difficult to access)

BCG vaccine can be cheaply purchased on Indiamart. After reading about the different methods of administration I chose oral administration in an enteric capsule (plus a layer of food grade shellac for additional enteric protection) . Oral administration in liquid form is less effective and risks cervical adentitis. Oral requires much higher doses than subdermal injection, but the cost difference is small.

Onco bcg is normally used for treatment of bladder cancer. It is the same strain (tice) as is used in America for vaccination but in a 40mg dose instead of the 1mg vials intended for 10 vaccine doses.

The bcg injection technique is different to any other medicine and even experienced medical professionals occasionally get it wrong which can cause a painful swelling of the lymph nodes. Also I would prefer to avoid the blisters and scars if possible.

Remove the aluminium seal from the vial and pull out the rubber cork while wearing an n95 mask. Use a cone of non stick baking paper to funnel the freeze dried bacteria from the vial to an enteric capsule. Take the capsule first thing in the morning and don’t eat for three hours.

The fourth and fifth doses did cause diarrhea, but not to a painful or dangerous level.

BCG had no immediate effect for me, and I am not optimistic about a slow effect, but I hope it helps others.

BCG vaccine can be cheaply purchased on Indiamart. After reading about the different methods of administration I chose oral administration in an enteric capsule (plus a layer of food grade shellac for additional enteric protection) . Oral administration in liquid form is less effective and risks cervical adentitis. Oral requires much higher doses than subdermal injection, but the cost difference is small.

Onco bcg is normally used for treatment of bladder cancer. It is the same strain (tice) as is used in America for vaccination but in a 40mg dose instead of the 1mg vials intended for 10 vaccine doses.

The bcg injection technique is different to any other medicine and even experienced medical professionals occasionally get it wrong which can cause a painful swelling of the lymph nodes. Also I would prefer to avoid the blisters and scars if possible.

Remove the aluminium seal from the vial and pull out the rubber cork while wearing an n95 mask. Use a cone of non stick baking paper to funnel the freeze dried bacteria from the vial to an enteric capsule. Take the capsule first thing in the morning and don’t eat for three hours.

The fourth and fifth doses did cause diarrhea, but not to a painful or dangerous level.

BCG had no immediate effect for me, and I am not optimistic about a slow effect, but I hope it helps others.
Hi dankeen, how did you get the idea/information to administer bcg orally? can you send me any sources you used? thanks so much!

Hi dankeen, how did you get the idea/information to administer bcg orally? can you send me any sources you used? thanks so much!
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4238780/
You will also find several animal studies supporting oral BCG.

There are also animal studies showing rectal administration is safe and effective. I am not sure but I think it only requires similar doses to subdermal. This gives you more options for strains as I believe that only tice strain is available in a 40mg dose. I am not sure though.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4238780/
You will also find several animal studies supporting oral BCG.

There are also animal studies showing rectal administration is safe and effective. I am not sure but I think it only requires similar doses to subdermal. This gives you more options for strains as I believe that only tice strain is available in a 40mg dose. I am not sure though.
Which strain did you take ?

Russian strain - Tubervac ?
(common one on Indiamart)