• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BBC coverage of Lynn Gilderdale's death

V99

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the coroner find no evidence of cerebral edema (which occurs in acute dehydration).
So what caused the dehydration?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Yes I totally agree with you Sasha, it is very very odd and I think disconnect is the perfect word. I just feel that nowadays there is a real dumbing down of tv and a lack serious journalistic enquiry and investigation...its a kind of apathy isnt it and I think garcia is right that is a collusion of the media to not question the 'authorities' and look at the bigger political picture...no-one seems to have the courage, intelligence or compassion to do it. And I guess as is with the case of ME in general it just shows the power of "medical hegemony" and the extent to which the media are in cahoots with this and not question the status quo. There is far more obsession with celebrities these days isnt there than with serious matters such as this - it just shows how shallow the world has become.

I really do think that we have a lot of potential power to influence this tho...V99 I have emailed Panorama this morning too asking to do a serious investigation into ME, I also mentioned Sophia Mirza. It would be great if as many of us as possible could do this. I think that now is a very appropriate time after the Gilderdale case.

My own feeling (maybe naive) is not that the media are in cahoots with particular medical factions but that they're interested in selling newspapers/getting lots of viewers and have moved away generally from serious investigative journalism as a way of doing that on all subjects that don't particularly interest them, not just this one. The days of campaigning journalism seem to have gone and newspapers seem to be more for entertainment. Thus there's huge over-focus on Westminster politics (that journos seem to like talking and thinking about) and international affairs (ditto) and celebrity rubbish (that probably bores them but that gets them an audience) and the rest they're not that bothered about.

On the plus side, once the dust settles on XMRV and we get a clear picture of it, if it turns out to cause ME/CFS and it's in the blood supply, we'll be in the papers and on the TV for sure. Medical scare stories (including true ones) are the lifeblood of the media. Lucky us!

Anyway, until that happy (?) day I agree that writing to Panorama asking for a serious look at ME/CFS is a great idea. I will do that too (again!).

froufox

Hi Sasha

No I agree with you - I don't mean they are consciously conspiring with the medical profession as such I think in cahoots was the wrong phrase to use, but it does seem like a kind of "collusion" even if it is not conscious. It really does seem to be all about entertainment these days doesnt it and "churnalism" without proper investigation ... especially the tabloids of course pandering to the lowest common denominator. Anyway fingers crossed our day will come soon! It certainly will be a bittersweet moment!! Lets hope Panorama do consider looking into our case too.

T

thefreeprisoner

The coroner found renal failure caused by dehydration and an inflamed basal ganglia; that's all I can remember.

Rachel xx

willow

Mark that's a hoot... darkly amusing.

And I agree with the previous debate, why is Lynn's ME diagnosis blindly accepted, isn't anyone asking what caused her symptoms, whether she received tests to i.d. possible infections, biomed imbalances etc, which pharma she was on and whether any of these played a role in her osteoporosis, early menopause etc, why Lynn and her family didn't have practical support etc etc. Who outside of the ME community is appalled, anyone???

Willow

T

thefreeprisoner

I think the problem is that the Panorama programme used the magic words 'incurable'.
That's good in one way, because it highlights the seriousness of M.E. but it's also problematic; it makes it seem like there never will be a cure for M.E.

Rachel xx