• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Basophils?

vision blue

It’s not always present

Me either. Mine was transient and occurred after my big chemical exposure (dental work) and before my permanant crash. This is in the context of what i believe is mcas. Mast cells are apparently quite similar to basophils (more so i believe than eosinophils) yet is just not disucssed the way eosoniphils and IgE are.

If you have any basophil experiences- what caused it, circurmstances, how how, etc., would be interesting to read about it. My basophilia was not too high, but clearly there. It was ignored.

bertiedog

Eosinophils more common. I dont know anyone else besidesxme. who had raised basophils but cant say my search was exhaustive.

I have had top of the range basophils on my annual blood test since 2010. It never changes from year despite lots of probiotics and prebiotics. I think they are connected to allergies but don't quote me on that!

Pam

vision blue

Forgot to say that my neutrophils are always towards the bottom of the range and this year were zero!

Pam

Are your absolute basiphils also up there? If anything id like eg neutrophils is low thwn percents of others may be high artifactually. My lymphocytes are always low by the way

You should try , doing some things to shift the balance from th2 to th1to see if that does anything (unless you think neurrophils are non existent in blood because your body uses them up so fast in tissues)

bertiedog

Are your absolute basiphils also up there

TBH I just have the result shown on the NHS standard blood tests for both basophils and neutrophils. My lymphocytes are also always lowish too.

I don't suffer with many allergies, just a tendency to get a touch of hayfever for example or a bit itchy if I get a bite, otherwise I don't have to worry about them on a daily basis. I am intolerant of gluten btw and have avoided it for the past 4 years.

I have the SNP that stops me breaking down histamine well so not sure if that plays a part but I am aware of the foods that raise histamine and try and avoid them as much as possible.

With regard to TH2 and TH1 all I doapart from eating an excellent diet is to take something like Andrographis as soon as I have any sign of a virus plus spray Echinacea down my throat about every 2 hours which will usually knock it on the head by day 3. I think I avoided Covid that way when I started to feel very unwell when my partner was on Day 4 of Covid and he was very unwell for another 10 days so from that I cannot see that my immune system is functioning too badly!

Pam