• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Basal metabolic rate

notmyself

I actually think the whole notion of PEM is not really that important or illuminating when discussing CFS. A while back in the CFS literature, I had never really heard that term being used. I think it's fairly new?? The main thing with CFS is that you are freakin' exhausted nearly all the time. Exerting yourself beyond what's reasonable when you are already tired will of course make you even more tired, ..duh.

The important part about PEM is that it diferenciate ME than other illnesses that can cause similar symptoms..it rules out depression or any other type of mental issue for example..ME is a disease that is classified and recognized and it has a multitude of symptoms ,and pem is a cardinal symptom..

The important part about PEM is that it diferenciate ME than other illnesses that can cause similar symptoms..it rules out depression or any other type of mental issue for example..ME is a disease that is classified and recognized and it has a multitude of symptoms ,and pem is a cardinal symptom..
Though you're probably right about that, what I never liked about the term was the implication that if one was just "relaxing at home" you were sort of ok. It was the exertion that was causing the fatigue. At least for me, exertion is largely irrelevant. I deal with profound fatigue issues with or without exertion. In fact, oftentimes (though not always), exercising is helpful to me, in fact it sometimes helps me to feel a bit more energized, and I consider myself to have classic CFS.

notmyself

Though you're probably right about that, what I never liked about the term was the implication that if one was just "relaxing at home" you were sort of ok. It was the exertion that was causing the fatigue. At least for me, exertion is largely irrelevant. I deal with profound fatigue issues with or without exertion. In fact, oftentimes (though not always), exercising is helpful to me, in fact it sometimes helps me to feel a bit more energized, and I consider myself to have classic CFS.
Exactly the same for me..exortion is irrelevant ,i am fatigued with or without exortion..and i have the same feeling,exercise make me feel a little more energized,but after i leave the gym is slowly subside and i go back to my exhausted state..But this is not a clasic CFS/ ME..what other symptoms you have except fatigue ?

I have the classic "foggy thinking". I remember back in college during Chemistry class, the instructor would give us instructions for the week's lab experiment at the start of class. Everyone went to their stations and followed the fairly straightforward instructions, and I was confused as to what to do, almost every week. I know it was not an intelligence issue, but really there was something in my system "gumming up the works". Also for me I have digestive issues, and I have a lack of appetite. I know low stomach acid has something to do with it. Also I have some joint pain. I had my first pang of back pain at the "ripe old age" of 13. There are other things as well, but for me the big three are G.I. disturbance, profound fatigue, and joint pain.

notmyself

I have the classic "foggy thinking". I remember back in college during Chemistry class, the instructor would give us instructions for the week's lab experiment at the start of class. Everyone went to their stations and followed the fairly straightforward instructions, and I was confused as to what to do, almost every week. I know it was not an intelligence issue, but really there was something in my system "gumming up the works". Also for me I have digestive issues, and I have a lack of appetite. I know low stomach acid has something to do with it. Also I have some joint pain. I had my first pang of back pain at the "ripe old age" of 13. There are other things as well, but for me the big three are G.I. disturbance, profound fatigue, and joint pain.

..What kind of GI disturbance you have?..my stomach always howls and moving , got diarhorea quite often..but i cannot see as a symptom of something serios as long you i don t have cramps,abdominal pain ..

ukxmrv

I think the whole notion of Post Exertional Malaise (PEM) might affect those of us who have been sicker longer. In my experience PEM is the result of the release of toxic substances that are stored in the body tissues after a tired system has been unable to properly clear these toxins out. Everyone, sick or not, must clear toxins out of their body. It's just part of life. When you exercise, these stored toxins get flushed out of you muscles and such, into you general circulation, where after some time, they exert their deleterious affects, and make you feel even sicker and more fatigued than you felt before. Again, I think think PEM might be more of an issue after you have had CFS for some time, allowing toxins to accumulate.

Not for me. PEM was apparent from the start of the illness (acute onset and viral). What I lacked was the words to describe it to doctors as I had never experienced anything like it before and it's not something covered in media or education.

..What kind of GI disturbance you have?..my stomach always howls and moving , got diarhorea quite often..but i cannot see as a symptom of something serios as long you i don t have cramps,abdominal pain ..
Intestinal stasis (my peristalsis seems to be napping).