• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Balloon head, Sinus pressure, etc.

What the hell causes it? This has been a telltale sign of my PEM for awhile now, but it’s getting worse.

I get throbbing, face, feels like pressure behind my eyes, really bad cheek pressure, front teeth pressure.

alternating ear tinnitus, never any nasal discharge though.

right now, I have that “musty” odor in my nose like when you have an actual cold, I’m quite worried this isn’t PEM but covid again since I didn’t develop antibodies

as a child I’d have chronic sinus infections, cat scan revealed I have an extra sinus cavity- whatever that means (this was 15 years ago

what has helped you? I’m usually able to shrug it off, but it’s getting bad. It’s like a sinus infection without the mucus. Typical sinusitis lasts 2 weeks, typically this lasts 3 days with a crash.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
What the hell causes it? This has been a telltale sign of my PEM for awhile now, but it’s getting worse.

I get throbbing, face, feels like pressure behind my eyes, really bad cheek pressure, front teeth pressure.

alternating ear tinnitus, never any nasal discharge though.

right now, I have that “musty” odor in my nose like when you have an actual cold, I’m quite worried this isn’t PEM but covid again since I didn’t develop antibodies

as a child I’d have chronic sinus infections, cat scan revealed I have an extra sinus cavity- whatever that means (this was 15 years ago

what has helped you? I’m usually able to shrug it off, but it’s getting bad. It’s like a sinus infection without the mucus. Typical sinusitis lasts 2 weeks, typically this lasts 3 days with a crash.

I get chronic sinusitis. Always have atleast very mild post nasal drip. On occassions i have noticed this has disappeared followed by the typical sinus symptoms you mention above. Sometimes i think they get totally blocked not just from mucus but also inflammation. For me it takes a good saline irrigation bottle, antibiotics mostly augmentin and a steroid spray like nasonex and on occassions 3 to 7 days of oral prednisone.

Sometimes it can take me several days to workout if its sinusitis as i get weird headaches etc and not uncommon to lose taste for things. If your concerned about covid maybe get tested again and if negative go down the sinus treatment path. The irrigation with saline you can do either way.

Good luck👍.

Some of the symptoms you describe sound like intracranial hypertension (high head pressure) possibly caused by narrowed veins in, or below, the skull. Not sure what to make of painful teeth though!

I might be completely off here but wanted to mention it in case. I think to confirm you would want a CTvenogram. This video gives a good overview. I don't think it covers issues outside the skull though. E.g. in my case my jugular veins are being squashed between two bones in my neck, and I think that is causing some or all of my issues.

My headache also affects my nose and the areas under and over the eye (cheekbones and part of my forehead) and looks very much like a sinus headache, without much mucus. However, on my absolutely worst days I do have post-nasal drip that makes me cough a lot in the morning. First I never knew if it was covid or just me. But in the end it was just my PEM at its worst.

Some of the symptoms you describe sound like intracranial hypertension (high head pressure) possibly caused by narrowed veins in, or below, the skull. Not sure what to make of painful teeth though!

I might be completely off here but wanted to mention it in case. I think to confirm you would want a CTvenogram. This video gives a good overview. I don't think it covers issues outside the skull though. E.g. in my case my jugular veins are being squashed between two bones in my neck, and I think that is causing some or all of my issues.

wow! I have incredibly tight trap muscles, and this feeling of pressure is only usually alleviated with some type of exercise.

Could I be increasing blood flow? What helps you?

My headache also affects my nose and the areas under and over the eye (cheekbones and part of my forehead) and looks very much like a sinus headache, without much mucus. However, on my absolutely worst days I do have post-nasal drip that makes me cough a lot in the morning. First I never knew if it was covid or just me. But in the end it was just my PEM at its worst.

this is my fear, because my throat is tickling which, by itself wouldn’t bother me outside of a pandemic.

My PEM is lethargy, sinus inflation, like head is a balloon, brain fog, irritation, flat emotions and a strange dull pain in the back of my throat when I open my mouth as if im yawning.

I get chronic sinusitis. Always have atleast very mild post nasal drip. On occassions i have noticed this has disappeared followed by the typical sinus symptoms you mention above. Sometimes i think they get totally blocked not just from mucus but also inflammation. For me it takes a good saline irrigation bottle, antibiotics mostly augmentin and a steroid spray like nasonex and on occassions 3 to 7 days of oral prednisone.

Sometimes it can take me several days to workout if its sinusitis as i get weird headaches etc and not uncommon to lose taste for things. If your concerned about covid maybe get tested again and if negative go down the sinus treatment path. The irrigation with saline you can do either way.

Good luck👍.

Hey heaps! I’m no stranger to sinus issues, but since developing CFS they seem to only be related to PEM, I know I have PEM when I wake up with clear white mucus, dark circles under my eyes and throbbing face/brain on fire.

the mucus is usually gone with one blow of the nose though.

is this just like an inflammation response via the immune system?

wow! I have incredibly tight trap muscles, and this feeling of pressure is only usually alleviated with some type of exercise.

Could I be increasing blood flow? What helps you?

(Assuming the compressed jugulars are causing my issues...) ...there's not loads I can do because the compression is caused by two rigid bones. However, I do notice that a short cold shower or a warm shower both make me feel good for about 10mins. My theory is that the blood flow is improved and that helps to drain some excess liquid and/or waste products out of my head.

I noticed you mention strange feelings in the back of your throat. Again, this might be a red herring but have you looked into Eagles syndrome?

(Assuming the compressed jugulars are causing my issues...) ...there's not loads I can do because the compression is caused by two rigid bones. However, I do notice that a short cold shower or a warm shower both make me feel good for about 10mins. My theory is that the blood flow is improved and that helps to drain some excess liquid and/or waste products out of my head.

I noticed you mention strange feelings in the back of your throat. Again, this might be a red herring but have you looked into Eagles syndrome?

I have not been tested- but my grandfather has it- but it’s SO rare, however I know there is a generic component, just wondering if it would “show up” like this

I have not been tested- but my grandfather has it- but it’s SO rare, however I know there is a generic component, just wondering if it would “show up” like this

Might be worth checking out then. I imagine if a grandparent had it then you are much more likely to have it than your average person

Also, wondering whether it would just "show up" randomly - I think it might because as I understand it, people with eagles have their styloids growing during their adult life

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Hey heaps! I’m no stranger to sinus issues, but since developing CFS they seem to only be related to PEM, I know I have PEM when I wake up with clear white mucus, dark circles under my eyes and throbbing face/brain on fire.

the mucus is usually gone with one blow of the nose though.

is this just like an inflammation response via the immune system?

Inflammation possibly. For me what i find is when i get back on abx the posta nasal drip starts again, almost like after being totally blocked theres now a crack in the wall and mucus is starting to drain out again.

This current episode the typical sinus and face pain is gone after antibiotics but left with generalised headache is common for me. Nothing scientific but generally have 3 types of headaches. The sinus headaches, the shingles headaches on left side of head and a generalised cfs brain fog that can turn into a headache. Sometimes they overlap and other times it can take me awhile to work out what type of headache it is. Im sure sometimes one leads to the other, maybe lowering immune system .

This current sinus headache i had for a week before i saw the dr. Obvious forehead and face pain. That night after seeing the dr my wife noticed the shingles rash coming up on the side of my head. Ive had combinations of the 3 the last 2 months id say. Ct scan of head and sinuses next.