• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bad experience with alcohol ( pancreatitis ? )

Reading_Steiner

I avoided alcohol for a long time with CFS, I was worried what it would do, would it increase the severity of the illness ? This year I tried some and didn't notice any huge negative effects, i've been drinking a few occasionally for a few months now, less than once a fortnight and generally about 1 wine bottle worth or less.

Yesterday I was having a campfire outdoors and I had a couple beers, no ill effect,
went back home to get more, stronger ones, 2 bottles 500 ml at 8.2% alcohol,
I drank these pretty fast, in less than an hour I imagine, started to feel really rough by the time I finished them, like I was going to die or something, ended up lying down for a while until I felt a bit better, I wasn't particularly drunk though which was strange.

I went back home about 5am and I ate most of a garlic bread and then I went to sleep, got up about 1pm, felt ok, bit hangovered and my memory wasn't great but I would expect that. The problem started when I tried to eat some cake and then 2 toasts, I started to feel what seemed like a 'stitch' but it was on the wrong side, the left instead of the right, it was a pulsing sort of ache, because I saw a Chubby Emu video this year about severe pancreatitis it gave me a clue about what might be wrong, stopped eating and drinking other than water and the pain went away.

Not sure what I'm going to do now, I've called the NHS medical helpline and they said to contact your GP surgery tommorow. I never heard this was a problem with alcohol and I am going to put it down to the chronic fatigue syndrome because of everything i've read about it causing problems. I used to drink a lot when I was younger and never had this sort of issue. I wish I was more aware about this before I got into trouble. Does anyone know more about this issue and what I might be able to do ?

andyguitar

2 bottles 500 ml at 8.2% alcohol,
I drank these pretty fast, in less than an hour I imagine,
Thats a lot of alcohol in a short time.
I went back home about 5am and I ate most of a garlic bread and then I went to sleep,
Probably not a very health thing to have on top of the beer. Pancreatitis can be difficult to diagnose but if your GP suspects it there is a blood test for it (Serum Amylase level) but it's not definitive. CT scan is sometimes done.

Reading_Steiner

Yep never drinking again after this. I don't know if its worth going to hospital to get the tests done and get IV, I went there just a month ago for something that seemed like appendicitis but wasn't, I don't think my dad would be happy if he had to take me there again so soon. Another symptom seems to be tachycardia at rest thats out of sync with CFS, also feeling cold / fever.

Reading_Steiner

I went to get checked out but they couldn't find any evidence of pancreatitis, which makes sense considering the lack of pain, I did have a really high fever though, enough to walk outside in my underwear in winter, I had a headache, it got up to 40.7 at one point, but they told me my thermometer was not calibrated so might not be accurate. I think it might be some sort of virus that disrupted my stomachs function, did a lateral flow test in the ambulance which was negative and then another test at the hospital which was probably also negative. Its really strange that the timing of this coincides with me drinking the alcohol though.