• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Back muscles numb

Heartl

I have gotten really sick twice since having ME. Both times housebound for two years but gradually getting to my baseline of 4-5 hours activity out of house. Both times felt like I had meningitis- stiff neck, stiff back and just all over inflammation and sickness. Was wondering if anyone else experienced/experience numbness in back muscles? Both times when this sick my husband will rub my back but it doesn’t feel good because I can’t feel my back muscles. When I feel better I can feel them...crazy illness

Art Vandelay

Yes, I can relate. When I was at my worst, my back and shoulders felt numb. Oddly the top of my head and tips of my ears also felt numb.

Heartl

Yes, I can relate. When I was at my worst, my back and shoulders felt numb. Oddly the top of my head and tips of my ears also felt numb.

I supposedly have CEBV, I wonder if it is related. By chance have you ever been tested for EBV? I’m thinking it might be due to herpes viruses effecting the nerves in my spine causing numbness.
Do you still get the numbness periodically or is it gone

Art Vandelay

I supposedly have CEBV, I wonder if it is related. By chance have you ever been tested for EBV? I’m thinking it might be due to herpes viruses effecting the nerves in my spine causing numbness.
Do you still get the numbness periodically or is it gone

Yes, EBV was a partial trigger for my illness. I really started to notice the numbness after I caught it.

I still get it periodically when I'm experiencing a crash. A lot of my issues seem to be gut related (a stomach infection was also a trigger) so lately I wonder if it's related to leaky gut as it seems to be correlated with my gut symptoms.

Last edited:

Heartl

Yes, EBV was a partial trigger for my illness. I really started to notice the numbness after I caught it.

I still get it periodically when I'm experiencing a crash. A lot of my issues seem to be gut related (a stomach infection was also a trigger) so lately I wonder if it's related to leaky gut as it seems to be correlated with my gut symptoms.

Same here, with stomach issues. I’ve been gluten, dairy, sugar free for two years and has helped but still have stomach issues. Did you treat your infections with something that has worked for you. I’m trying to get as much information as possible, thank you

Art Vandelay

Same here, with stomach issues. I’ve been gluten, dairy, sugar free for two years and has helped but still have stomach issues. Did you treat your infections with something that has worked for you. I’m trying to get as much information as possible, thank you

The most effective thing to lessen my gut issues was a very low carb diet. I also had a blastocystis hominis gut infection and treating that with triple antibiotic therapy helped a reasonable amount. Another gut parasite, D.fragilis, has shown up in tests more recently as well as suspected Lyme but I haven't found anyone who knows how to treat either of those yet.

virtual

Traveller
Agree. Neurotoxins from the virus can inflame nerves and cause numbness.
I experienced numb regions along the Achilles tendons - both legs. I suspected to have MS - but they found nothing - just brain atrophy. My MDs say the atrophy is not the reason for the numb areas.
Never had an explanation for this - until now. Thank you.