• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ayurveda

Treeman

lenora

Hello.....I didn't watch the first video, but watched the entire second one involving a very young woman.

Ayurvedic treatments are the only things I haven't tried in all of these years. What's interesting if you listen to the young woman's story was that in the end one is left with the feeling (right or wrong?) that her CFS was caused b/c of emotional matters in her life.

As I've said before, I'm totally open and actually believe in a mind/body connection at SOME POINT in this illness, I don't believe that is the cause of the illness itself. A full recovery is something that most of us don't even dream of any longer.....recovery in any form is good enough. To be able to walk or exercise again is something to be treasured, but again I can't believe that emotions are the cause of this illness.

Well, let me rephrase that....in some people, perhaps, but not for most of us.

Who has tried ayurvedic medicine and how helpful was it to you? I know I tried acupuncture a lot of times....a lot, and while I did everything required, I was still left with my illness. Actually it's hard to gauge whether or not these interventions (shall we say) help or not. I still couldn't tell you b/c I was younger and had more energy at that point in my life. e.g. I couldn't even drive myself to an acupuncturist today. I've tried herbs, vitamins, supplements....you name it it's been tried. I am on meds for some illnesses.
I would be most interested in anyone who has been helped by ayurvedic means because I've reached the point where I don't want anyone doing something to my body. It seems that I exchange one problem for another.

Thoughts???? Yours Lenora.

Treeman

I'm totally open and actually believe in a mind/body connection at SOME POINT in this illness, I don't believe that is the cause of the illness itself.

From what I understand, when the body suffers stress, emotional or physical it releases hormones which is a signal to the dormant infections to become active again. I think this is what happened to me. I think I'm still at the mercy of that/those reactivated infections that have messed my immune system and locked me into a post viral type illness.

I liked the way ayurvedic deals with the illness and like some others I'm still hopeful that something will make a significant difference, although I'm sure the odds are similar to winning the lottery.

lenora

@Treeman....Hello. That makes a certain amount of sense. Let's just say that we're challenged in some way that most people who have illnesses aren't. The reasons could be many.

Has anyone else felt they've been extremely helped or even cured by ayurvedic medicine? I would be most interested in hearing your experience. By the way, I'm happy the young woman in the video made a good recovery, but feel she does leave me feeling that it's "all in my head." Intentional or not, that's the thought I came away with. Anyone else? I'm just interested in these experiences. They're all helpful. Yours, Lenora.

Treeman

.Hello. That makes a certain amount of sense. Let's just say that we're challenged in some way that most people who have illnesses aren't. The reasons could be many.

It could have been a more virulent variant of a virus or that I'm just not good at clearing the virus etc. But I got sick with a diagnosed illness and never recovered I don't need to look any further. All the symptoms I have are I feel caused by a long standing infection running free and corrupting different symptoms.

I liked the Dr Liisa Selin interview following, it makes sense I feel for my illness. (1) Dr. Amy Proal interviews Dr. Liisa Selin about T cell exhaustion and viral activity in ME/CFS | Phoenix Rising ME/CFS Forums

Learner1

What's interesting if you listen to the young woman's story was that in the end one is left with the feeling (right or wrong?) that her CFS was caused b/c of emotional matters in her life.
I can't believe that emotions are the cause of this illness.
There do seem to be people for whom emotional trauma feeds their illness. And there are people, myself included, for whom stress triggered immune and endocrine dysfunction and led to viral reactivations.

However, I do believe that anyone cured by thinking better likely didn't have ME/CFS in the first place. There are too many out there who blame patients for misguided thinking causing this disease, which leads to lack of proper medical treatment.
Who has tried ayurvedic medicine and how helpful was it to you?
My friend had a well known ayurvedic doctor she introduced me to. He is very educated and has a line of high quality botanical supplements that have a great deal of good science behind them, like ashwaganda, curcumin, boswellia, bacopa. These are helpful, but I did not find the theories of ayurveda to make much sense.
From what I understand, when the body suffers stress, emotional or physical it releases hormones which is a signal to the dormant infections to become active again. I think this is what happened to me. I think I'm still at the mercy of that/those reactivated infections that have messed my immune system and locked me into a post viral type illness.
This definitely can happen. Getting thoroughly tested for infections and immune dysfunction can lead to treatments that can vastly improve our health.

I was in a significant car accident after my cancer treatment, was dealing with an elderly parent and manic behavior, serious cardiac condition and death of my sibling, which lead to reactivation of 4 viruses, 2 atypical pneumonias, and crashing of my immune system. Treating all of this has led to great improvement. Then my 2 COVID vaccines reactivated HHV6, and I've had to treat it.
could have been a more virulent variant of a virus or that I'm just not good at clearing the virus etc. But I got sick with a diagnosed illness and never recovered I don't need to look any further. All the symptoms I have are I feel caused by a long standing infection running free and corrupting different symptoms.

I liked the Dr Liisa Selin interview following, it makes sense I feel for my illness. (1) Dr. Amy Proal interviews Dr. Liisa Selin about T cell exhaustion and viral activity in ME/CFS | Phoenix Rising ME/CFS Forums
Definitely verify that this is the situation and be persistent in looking into your immune function. Antivirals and immune support can really help. Prolonging a situation like this leads to the spawning of all sorts of nasty autoimmunity and can potentially lead to other conditions like MS and cancers making it far more difficult to get well.

hapl808

I'm interested in ayurvedic medicine as well - only tried a few herbal combos like triphala. But I agree that anytime the mind-body thing is taken too far, it becomes suspect. When our body thinks the cells have to multiply faster than they should be, very few people suggest 'mindfulness' in order to calm down the overactive cell function to treat cancer. It's the lack of a biomarkers and accepted pharma treatments that makes ME/CFS subject to all these woo woo claims.

Pretty much all disease is affected by the brain, from gunshots to cancer. But the notable difference is that it tends to be stuff like ME/CFS where the only treatments proposed are mind-body related because they have no clue what they're doing.

Irat

She did not heal with ayurveda,ayurveda (diet,herbs,punshacarma detox) got her out of bed.she healed within a year with trauma release therapy , journaling etc.

Trauma (or what our brain perceive as stress) can be many things,not only abuse or alike,but multiple factors adding to our load like lack of nutrients,overtraining,loneliness,wrong job wrong relationship, medication,surgery ,accident, pesticides, industrial chemicals,etc,

The question for me is,how did our body become an open doorway for bugs,mold, etc.how did the nervous system lost his window of tolerance and creating symptoms of overstimulation etc.,what did shut down our immune system.

There are ppl like me who do not tolerate any kind of treatment,meds or supplements.and need to look into other things that bring us back into the window of tolerance in order to heal or at least get better.and I have done this before.and similar to her, first acupuncture got me out of bed,and many other things follwed that helped me to get into remission.

Last edited: