• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Axona - Medical food supplemnt??

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Was listening to radio today and heard commercial about Axona and it stated that this new medication for Alzheimer's Disease was actually a "medical food". This got my curiosity up and had to check it out and I guess it is along the same lines as "Deplin", in that it is a supplement that now has a patent on it.

Checking out the website lead me to see that it is used as an "energy" booster for the brain. Does anyone know of a close substitute for this "medical food"? It seems to me that this would be of help when we are in a period of "cognitive dysfunction". They also had a couple of drugs in the pipeline that may be of benefit at some point. Here are the links and the one about "energy metabolism" has a pretty neat video at the bottom.
http://www.accerapharma.com/axona.html
http://www.accerapharma.com/energymetabolism.html

This company seems to be "keyed" in on this type of treatment and it seems awfully funny that it coincides with the proposed law about "supplements" that is in Congress right now. Big pharma has its dollar signs flashing!!!

Hello, I work at Pamlab L.L.C and noticed your reference to Deplin which is our product indicated for depression. CerefolinNAC is our product indicated for cognitive dysfunction and early memory loss.

The continuing expansion of medical foods is interesting because many new products are being launched to better serve patient needs, without difficult side effects. I will confirm our product for early memory loss, CerefolinNAC, fits the description.

I invite you to learn more about CerefolinNAC and how it works and to visit www.cerefolinnac.com to discover more about the role CerefolinNAC plays in early memory loss as well.

richvank

Was listening to radio today and heard commercial about Axona and it stated that this new medication for Alzheimer's Disease was actually a "medical food". This got my curiosity up and had to check it out and I guess it is along the same lines as "Deplin", in that it is a supplement that now has a patent on it.

Checking out the website lead me to see that it is used as an "energy" booster for the brain. Does anyone know of a close substitute for this "medical food"? It seems to me that this would be of help when we are in a period of "cognitive dysfunction". They also had a couple of drugs in the pipeline that may be of benefit at some point. Here are the links and the one about "energy metabolism" has a pretty neat video at the bottom.
http://www.accerapharma.com/axona.html
http://www.accerapharma.com/energymetabolism.html

This company seems to be "keyed" in on this type of treatment and it seems awfully funny that it coincides with the proposed law about "supplements" that is in Congress right now. Big pharma has its dollar signs flashing!!!

Hi, August59.

Thanks for posting this. This sounds like a "beefed-up" version of the coconut oil treatment for Alzheimer's. coconut oil contains about 65% medium chain fatty acids. When these hit the liver after being absorbed by the gut, they are converted to ketones, and some of these make it to the brain via the bloodstream. Ketones are an alternate energy supply to glucose for the brain, and they go directly into the Krebs cycle, rather that passing through glycolysis first. It has been found that in Alzheimer's there is a problem in converting pyruvate into acetyl CoA for feeding the Krebs cycle, and the ketones bypass that problem.

I don't know the relative benefit of taking this "medical food' vs. just taking coconut oil, which is probably less expensive, but both would appear to have a sound basis in the biochemistry.

Best regards,

Rich

richvank

Hello, I work at Pamlab L.L.C and noticed your reference to Deplin which is our product indicated for depression. CerefolinNAC is our product indicated for cognitive dysfunction and early memory loss.

The continuing expansion of medical foods is interesting because many new products are being launched to better serve patient needs, without difficult side effects. I will confirm our product for early memory loss, CerefolinNAC, fits the description.

I invite you to learn more about CerefolinNAC and how it works and to visit www.cerefolinnac.com to discover more about the role CerefolinNAC plays in early memory loss as well.

Hi, JordyLu.

I'm familiar with the PamLab medical foods. If you check my papers at www.cfsresearch.com, you will see that we use over-the-counter versions of the supplements in the PamLab medical food products to treat the partial methylation cycle block in both ME/CFS and in autism. We are working on the same part of the metabolism. I don't know what the relative prices are for an individual patient for the PamLab prescription medical foods vs. the over-the-counter supplements. I guess it depends on to what degree a person's insurance will pay for the prescriptions, since it will not pay for the over-the-counter supplements. But we are using the same things, and the 5-methyl tetrahydrofolate is from Merck-Germany in the PamLab products as well as the over-the-counter Metafolin and FolaPro. Deplin is just a higher dose Metafolin, as far as I can tell.

I met a physician from Houston who is using PamLab products to treat ME/CFS, and I think autism as well.

I feel that I should warn you (though I'm not a moderator here) that there is a rule against advertising products on this forum, though I do think the medical foods approach is much superior to the xenobiotic drug approach to treating these disorders, and I want to encourage this approach.

Best regards,

Rich