• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Autistic Child Tests Positive for XMRV

usedtobeperkytina

Yes, I know WPI found XMRV in some Autism patients. My point was that this shows a whole bunch of people with all types of illnesses and symptoms are requesting tests. So we can't use the 36% to assume that only 36% of CFS patients at large are XMRV. Many others with autism and other illnesses are getting these tests.

Tina

Advocate

Interesting link, Levi. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091110202855.htm
Makes me wonder what CFS people's pupil response it like.

Another eye-related study came out today in the online Nature Neuroscience. I can't find the abstract.

A typical headline: Light Hurts Even Blind Migraine Sufferers, Study Reveals How

"We identified a new pathway in the brain that originates in the eye and goes to the brain areas where neurons are found that are active during migraine attacks."
"The light can increase the electrical activity in neurons that are active to begin with," he explained.

One expert said these findings should put to rest any suggestion that patients exaggerate their sensitivity to light; they are not whining or imagining their symptoms.

Dr Richard Lipton, director of the Montefiore Headache Center and professor of neurology and epidemiology at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City, commented that:

"This provides an anatomic and physiological basis for a common experience -- that light makes pain worse, not because you're a whiner, but because there is an anatomic pathway that links the visual system to the pathway that produces head pain." .

S

SChiodo

I just received some lab results regarding metal sensitivities in my child with autism. Without going into much detail, my son does not appear to have metal sensitivity, but instead has a toxic reaction to arsenic and phenylmercury. This is to say that the number of lymphocytes in his blood actually decreased when exposed to even the smallest amounts of these metals. (A sensitivity would have caused the white blood cells to increase.)
These results made me think about viral infections which also cause lymphocytes to decrease.

My son has regresssive autism and I am intrigued to learn more about the link with XMRV. How do I get my son tested for this?

kit

I just received some lab results regarding metal sensitivities in my child with autism. Without going into much detail, my son does not appear to have metal sensitivity, but instead has a toxic reaction to arsenic and phenylmercury. This is to say that the number of lymphocytes in his blood actually decreased when exposed to even the smallest amounts of these metals. (A sensitivity would have caused the white blood cells to increase.)
These results made me think about viral infections which also cause lymphocytes to decrease.

My son has regresssive autism and I am intrigued to learn more about the link with XMRV. How do I get my son tested for this?

Do a google search for VIP Dx, a lab in Nevada that is doing XMRV testing, and give them a call to get on the wait list. I sincerely hope this new finding brings you answers. Best of luck.

ETA: I just did a google search myself and the website isn't there. ???? Does anyone know why the VIP Dx website is down?

Abraxas

Does anyone know why the VIP Dx website is down?

I'm guessing they may be updating their site to include information about the newly refined test from the WPI

starryeyes

There was a warning about a virus linked to the VIPDx site yesterday in The Fight Is On thread. Hopefully they shut down to take care of the virus. There is software you can get to protect you from these viruses as well.

JillBohr

Does anybody know what the status is of the WPI paper on autism and XMRV? I understand there is a paper and I am assuming it is in the process of being peer reviewed but I was hoping someone here knows something about it. I remember Tom Insel (NIH) saying something about this paper when being interviewed by David Kirby but he had not seen it at the time of the interview.

Advocate

Does anybody know what the status is of the WPI paper on autism and XMRV? I understand there is a paper and I am assuming it is in the process of being peer reviewed but I was hoping someone here knows something about it. I remember Tom Insel (NIH) saying something about this paper when being interviewed by David Kirby but he had not seen it at the time of the interview.

Hi Jill,

I don't know, but maybe it's not too late to submit that question for Friday's webcam.

JillBohr

Hi Jill,

I don't know, but maybe it's not too late to submit that question for Friday's webcam.

I am having problems because my '"default mail client" is not setup on my computer when I hit the send question button. Would you mind hitting that button to find out what their email address is. You can send it to me on a message. The link to the prohealth page is here: http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=15035

Summer

Child is staring treatment

Partial from blog:

Specific prayer for Monday
So tomorrow we start our journey of treating the XMRV virus. We ask that you specifically pray for Olivia's little body and it ability to process the new medicine she will be receiving tomorrow and that is will do it's job of suppressing the XMRV virus.