• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Autism - Wakefield / Mercola 10-Min Video

Frickly

Hi Wayne! Thanks for posting this as your title is much better than mine. I feel terrible for Dr. Wakefield and know he is just an addition to the long list of doctors that are being punished for trying to do the right thing for the patients. I feel strongly that the answers will be coming soon and that the public will look back on this and wonder how we could have let it happen.

JillBohr

Hi Wayne! Thanks for posting this as your title is much better than mine. I feel terrible for Dr. Wakefield and know he is just an addition to the long list of doctors that are being punished for trying to do the right thing for the patients. I feel strongly that the answers will be coming soon and that the public will look back on this and wonder how we could have let it happen.

Frickly, I cannot agree more. I feel very bad for him. He is just being punished because he is smart and attractive I might add.

Bob

This is a very interesting video...
I've only watched the first segment so far (and there are 10 to get through!),
but it is interesting how he says that the psychiatrists/psychologists could/would not recognise the relationship between a cognitive disorder and a bowel disorder...
How familiar that story sounds to all of us!!! (i.e. psychiatrists saying there is no link between fatigue and biological abnormalities)

I also found interesting the link between autism and gluten intolerance and bowel disorder... I've always had a gluten intolerance and now I've got ME, along with a mild gut inflammation...
I wonder if I've had XMRV since an early age, especially since i had some mental health issues in my infancy e.g. severe social anxiety (do children with autism have sever social anxiety? I think it might be common, but I'm not sure about that).

So I wouldn't be surprised if Judy Mikovits confirms a link between some childhood autism and XMRV.
I wonder if I had XMRV at an early age, which didn't manifest itself as Autism, but gave me certain symptoms, and developed into ME later in life.
(I haven't been diagnosed with XMRV yet).

Frickly

Bob,

In answer to your question...Yes...children on the spectrum do have severe social anxiety...depending where they are on the spectrum. It is also common to have comorbid conditions such as ADHD, ADD, OCD, dyslexia, tourettes, ect. My thought is that, if XMRV turns out to be the cause, we were either born with it and toxins/vaccines from our enviornment triggrered the XMRV before the brain was fully developed which caused autism. Or we developed other neuroimmune diseases down the road. I am waiting impatiently to here more news on autism.

Bob

In answer to your question...Yes...children on the spectrum do have severe social anxiety...depending where they are on the spectrum. It is also common to have comorbid conditions such as ADHD, ADD, OCD, dyslexia, tourettes, ect. My thought is that, if XMRV turns out to be the cause, we were either born with it and toxins/vaccines from our enviornment triggrered the XMRV before the brain was fully developed which caused autism. Or we developed other neuroimmune diseases down the road. I am waiting impatiently to here more news on autism.

Thanks Frickly... I've been looking out for further announcements from the WPI regarding autism as well... there doesn't seem to be any info available about what research the WPI is carrying out with regards to autism and XMRV... or what results they are getting.

Bob

I've watched a few of the video segments now and I would recommend watching the videos to anyone with ME, because of the similarities between autism and ME.

There seem to be similarities with some of the physical manifestations of autism and ME (and also certain cognitive symptoms).

And there seems to be startling similarities between the difficulties that the ME community has in getting the establishment to recognise and acknowledge the reality of the illness and the difficulties that the autism community has had in getting the establishment to recognise that autism has a physiological basis and that it could be precipitated or caused by external factors.

Watching Dr Wakefield talk about his experiences with the establishment, it struck me that he could easily be one of our ME scientists talking, or one of the doctors who reported the ME outbreaks in the USA all those years ago.

The establishment has tried to discredit him and to ignore and bury his vast amount of research in relation to autism, bowel disease and vaccines. He says that there has been a cover-up orchestrated by government in conjunction with big pharma industry. It's very similar to how ME scientists have been discredited by the establishment and how the vast amount of research into the physiological abnormalities in people with ME is completely ignored by the establishment.

natasa778

Thanks Bob. While ME/CFS patients are accused of somatising and hysteria if they insist their illness is real and medical, the situation is even worse in autism where parents can easily be accused of Munchausen syndrome by proxy and have their children placed on social register, or even taken away. I've known of quite a few cases where kids were placed on social protection register (or threatened to) because their parents were trying gluten free diets.

So medical treatment is not only denied but strongly discouraged, with potentially horrible consequences if parents are not careful who they share their views with.

Bob

Thanks Bob. While ME/CFS patients are accused of somatising and hysteria if they insist their illness is real and medical, the situation is even worse in autism where parents can easily be accused of Munchausen syndrome by proxy and have their children placed on social register, or even taken away. I've known of quite a few cases where kids were placed on social protection register (or threatened to) because their parents were trying gluten free diets.

So medical treatment is not only denied but strongly discouraged, with potentially horrible consequences if parents are not careful who they share their views with.

Hi natasa,
I can't imagine how difficult it must be for such families to, firstly, not be believed about their children, secondly, not given help with their children, and, thirdly, to be discriminated against for trying to do the right thing for their children, by an establishment which sometimes seems to want to destroy people's lives.
It's a very unfair and tragic situation, for a family to find themselves in, through no fault of their own.
I believe that many parents of children with ME have run into the same problems with the authorities (i.e they are blamed, accused, not believed and not given any help with medical treatment for their child's physical illness).
And adult ME patients have been sectioned, ending up on psychiatric wards, unable to get out of bed, instead of being given medical treatment (Sophia Miraz for example).

Rosemary

Hello Jace ....This is very sad news however Dr Wakefield expected this to happen

Quote " Dr. Andrew Wakefield — the British doctor who came to Austin after fueling a worldwide scare over vaccines and autism — said that he fully expects to have his British medical license yanked next week in a final effort by the mainstream medical establishment “to silence me and stop the research.”

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/cont.../doctor_at_center_of_autismvacc.html#comments

Here is the good news though

Dr Wakefield intends to continue his research into the potential link between vaccines and autism, including gastrointestinal problems in children with autism. He plans to do that work in Austin with Dr. Arthur Krigsman, who also, until recently, practiced at the Thoughtful House.

Also here is some information regarding Dr Wakefield's New Book

Callous Disregard
Autism and Vaccines-The Truth Behind A Tragedy

http://www.callous-disregard.com/