• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Aussies - disability support changes

Francelle

Unfortunately too Tania there seems to be variations between Centrelink offices with some being very understanding (or at least less officious) and others being very obstructionist.

Perhaps it is sometimes a matter of who is dealing with the claim also. My B-I-L lost his wife when they had a four year old and two young teens. As well as an insurance policy payout on his wife's death, he simultaneously got a largish inheritance from a cousin but somehow he still got sole parent benefits and all the other health benefit cards etc. I don't know all the ins and outs of how it worked but he was totally upfront with them and he still got pro-rata benefits.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Meanwhile the government will be continuing with their generous middle/upper class welfare after dropping the idea of means testing for the child care rebate.

taniaaust1

Unfortunately too Tania there seems to be variations between Centrelink offices with some being very understanding (or at least less officious) and others being very obstructionist.

Perhaps it is sometimes a matter of who is dealing with the claim also.

Nods that is so true. It all comes down to what the other whos assessing you, believes of CFS/ME ... and if he/she thinks it is a not real illness of lazy, malingers or not (so some offices will be much better then others).

I had the same 2 guys dealing with me in Centrelink.. who dealt with my first two appeals and I believe who also contacted the person in the disablity job place (she told me someone had told her I'd never get a disability pension for CFS and her not knowing about CFS.. obviously believed all she was told). So just two people who really caused all the issues leading to a third taking on the CFS myths..

best luck anyone going throu that.. hopefully you will get more knowledgable peoples..

gregf

First of all, I have great respect for Tania and I am disgusted by how she was treated.
But this was done under the previous Liberal (conservative) government.

Under the same (Liberal) government, great efforts were made to keep the unemployment numbers hidden. So, many people, especially younger people, were put on disability benefit instead of the unemployment benefit.

Tony Abbott is now exploiting this, blaming Labour, and has on several occasions said he will make big cuts to the number of people on Disability benefit. Labour is trying to head off the issue by culling out those who are not disabled andshould not be on disability.

I suggest don't assume they are out to get valid beneficiaries. If anyone with ME is mistreated, I suggest making an appointment with your Federal MP, especially if they are Labour, Green or independent. They can be a big help and will be much more tuned in to ME since the XMRV announcements.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
I'm not convinced the Labor party is doing any better on this issue. The fact is that 'valid recipients' is an arbitrary cutoff and there are going to be those who are unfairly targeted. Whether people with CFS diagnoses will be targeted is a different question, but it is quite likely given the whole definition and diagnosis issues. I also don't see how further cuts of Centrelink staff is going to greatly improve service.

Here is an interesting interview posted today:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/audio/2011/05/12/3215369.htm
(I still dislike how the media uses the word 'expert', but... whatever..)

insearchof

I'm not convinced the Labor party is doing any better on this issue. The fact is that 'valid recipients' is an arbitrary cutoff and there are going to be those who are unfairly targeted. Whether people with CFS diagnoses will be targeted is a different question, but it is quite likely given the whole definition and diagnosis issues. I also don't see how further cuts of Centrelink staff is going to greatly improve service.

I agree with this.

As for staff cuts in centerlink........I am sure difficult cases (like ME or CFS) are less likely to be entertained as legitimate and quickly dismissed, under staff cut associated pressures.

Meanwhile the government will be continuing with their generous middle/upper class welfare after dropping the idea of means testing for the child care rebate.

Yes and in the days when childcare didn't exist and people had all the same expenses, they coped, because they had to. Some people in this country seriously don't realise how lucky they are, nor do they seem to get that the government is not there to supplement their income when they are working fulltime and on good money. They cry poor whilst having massive mortgages and numerous investment properties, by choice..

Middle/upper class australia suffers from "me me me" syndrome.

*Vent over*

insearchof

Yes and in the days when childcare didn't exist and people had all the same expenses, they coped, because they had to. Some people in this country seriously don't realise how lucky they are, nor do they seem to get that the government is not there to supplement their income when they are working fulltime and on good money. They cry poor whilst having massive mortgages and numerous investment properties, by choice..

Middle/upper class australia suffers from "me me me" syndrome.

*Vent over*

Could not agree more.

It is indeed questionable, to be taking from the most needy in society and yet, buffering those who need it least.

I think I read one commentators justification on this obvious injustice, as the fact that - such policies need to support the ''me ddle class'' (*wink) because they are the main sector that drives consumer spending/economy.