• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Association Between Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Cardiovascular Disease

Countrygirl

Association Between Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Cardiovascular Disease

https://www.researchsquare.com/arti...9LCdLgPgH6yr9hyUf9cRcqgsdAEZPyFkx9rIVdXWSBtE8

Abstract​

Background: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) is a medical condition characterized by severe and prolonged fatigue that is not relieved by rest or attributed to any underlying medical or psychological condition. Individuals with CFS/ME are considered to have an increased risk of a wide range of comorbid conditions, including cardiovascular disease (CVD). The association between CFS/ME and CVD is not fully understood.
Objective: To determine the prevalence of CFS/ME in a sample population and examine its association with CVD.
Methods: Data was analyzed from the 2021 National Health Interview Survey (NHIS). Information on sociodemographic factors, CVD risk factors, and history of CFS/ME and CVD were collected. Multivariate logistic regression model was used to determine the association between CFS/ME and CVD, adjusting for traditional CVD risk factors (age, sex, race, hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidemia, smoking, and body mass index (BMI).
Results: Median age of participants was 53 years, and majority of participants were female (53.9%). Prevalence of CFS/ME was 1.4%. A history of CFS/ME was significantly associated with CVD (aOR: 3.13, 95%CI: 2.37, 4.15, p-value: <0.001) after adjusting for traditional CVD risk factors.
Conclusion: A history of CFS/ME was independently associated with CVD after adjusting for traditional CVD risk factors. Patients with CFS/ME need close evaluation for CVD. Further studies are needed to better understand the relationship between CFS/ME and CVD.