• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Aspirin

BrightCandle

@Learner1

I haven't personally had any significant side effects from Nattokinase, Bromelain or Lumbronkinase supplments. The only thing I can attribute to them, which is based on the way you take Nattokinase/Lumbronkinase 2 hours after food and 1 hour before, is that after that hour I feel nauseous and need to eat something so they do upset my digestion somehow. Bromelain I don't don't notice its x3 a day with food. They have worked as advertised, my blood is clotting less readily and noticeably more flowing than it was before. Blood pressure has dropped a little.

There are other recommendations in the paper linked from the HELP Apherisis thread if you want to look through what else is recommended pre that procedure since it talks about attempts to break down clots using drugs.

andyguitar

I'd be interested if anyone has any info on better alternatives
Are you looking for drugs, herbs or nutritional supplements? I had a very interesting conversation with a TCM Doc today. They are qualfied as a medical Doc (worked in emergency medicine and stroke rehab) but now practice accupuncture and herbology. The info he has been getting from China is that Long Covid can be treated wth Asprin and herbs that contain salicylates.

Oliver3

Are you looking for drugs, herbs or nutritional supplements? I had a very interesting conversation with a TCM Doc today. They are qualfied as a medical Doc (worked in emergency medicine and stroke rehab) but now practice accupuncture and herbology. The info he has been getting from China is that Long Covid can be treated wth Asprin and herbs that contain salicylates.
Wow, I got covid early on and it worsened my m.e. the aspirin is such a life saver. Did they say anything about the mode of action

Learner1

Anything. I'm not solving long covid, I'm looking into answers for hypercoagulation.

Oliver3

Have you considered the possibility that the "crash" is in fact a migraine attack? Asprin is a very old treatment for that.
Indeed I have. I mean there are some papers written questioning whether CFS is a form of migraine. There is deffo a lack of blood flow to the head isn't there.
I don't think it's a silver bullet. Personally I think when the mitochondria crash out, from infection, stress, the muscles in the spine go into failure resulting in what looks like a migraine. But there's also just smthg about aspirin that helps with general blood flow. As a fella, I know that from erections. Even if I'm not crashing. But yes it did cross my mind , is this migraine or ischemia in the head. But that could also be caused by autoimmunity of the venous system.
Aspurinn may also improve gut flora, viral load. Autoimmuniy. It may have a few modes of action.
Migraine is comorbid with m.e. isn't it? So who knows? But maybe it's all part of one thing. As the rcccx theory notes.
All I know is, I'm taking it when I need to and it helps. Will wait for the boffins to actually figure it out

andyguitar

Migraine is comorbid with m.e. isn't it?
It's one of the health problems that turns up often with me/cfs. When it come to how Asprin can help Migraine I'd put my money on it's effect on blood platelets. The probability being that it stops them clumping together. Which is not to say that clots are formed. But what happens is that when they clump they release Serotonin which causes vasoconstriction. This might be relevant to me/cfs.

Oliver3

It's one of the health problems that turns up often with me/cfs. When it come to how Asprin can help Migraine I'd put my money on it's effect on blood platelets. The probability being that it stops them clumping together. Which is not to say that clots are formed. But what happens is that when they clump they release Serotonin which causes vasoconstriction. This might be relevant to me/cfs.
https://www.aspirin-foundation.com/forum/aspirin-and-covid-19/

All good points you make. Seems there are antiviral properties to aspirin. Honestly I think it's multifactorial. But I'll continue to take it when pem is rearing its head or I have a stressful day ahead.
I used to get a similar feeling but nowhere need as strong from natural no donors. It seems anything which aids blood flow is our friend. Whether that's autoimmune, serotenegic, mitochondrial , no problems or all of the above.
Interesting theory about the clump and release. I didn't know that.
wiErdly my platelets are fine so whatever it is is subclinical on standard tests.
I do feel like I'm not going to die when I take these during a crash...I really have to roll them up in a lot in food then eat them with a meal or it causes me anxiety.
That's the thing. There's more at play than just this. There's a definite collagen aspect to this. I have a friend with clinically diagnosed eds. I told him about abilify and his cardiovascular pots and high Bp have improved.
Fascia and structural abnormalities are causing compression issues in the neck. And to me that's about adrenal fatigue eating away at ligament etc. Whether that's through a parasite or virus or from autoimmunity, I don't know. We know the mitos are out of whack.
So there's seems to be a lot of moving parts but aspirin is a possible aid to some of us

andyguitar

Interesting theory about the clump and release. I didn't know that.
The migraine drug Pizotifen works by blocking Serotonin receptors. There is also a combination drug-Migravess- which contains Asprin and Metoclopramide (which blocks some Serotonin receptors among other things) Powerful stuff with some fairly nasty side effects for some who use it.

Oliver3

The migraine drug Pizotifen works by blocking Serotonin receptors. There is also a combination drug-Migravess- which contains Asprin and Metoclopramide (which blocks some Serotonin receptors among other things) Powerful stuff with some fairly nasty side effects for some who use it.
Have you tried any of these Andy?

Oliver3

Thank you for the info..
Might come in handy indeed.
As to what's causing the lack of energy, even when not crashing, well, seems like aspirin is not as useful. But I will look up these meds for sure

Oliver3

Interesting that pizotifen is also an antihistamine. Mcas been a problem for me

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Oliver3 - I just took 2 aspirin (325 mg each). I woke up crashed today, and unfortunately only remembered this thread a little while ago, but better late than never! And after I took the aspirin, I looked up the thread and saw that you took about 1/4 of what I just did! I'm not worried about it, just am curious to see if it will help. I wish I had remembered aspirin this morning!

I'm wondering if we all experience PEM the same way - for me it's exhaustion and aches, it feels like lactic acid but it always settles in the posterior part of my body - my back, backs of my legs, it used to hit the backs of my arms, so it's easily distinguishable for me from regular muscle aches if one over does something, though it's been so long since I had muscle aches from using my muscles!

ETA: What I'm wondering is if aspirin would have any effect on what I presume is lactic acid which has accumulated due to anaerobic metabolism, which I'm theorizing is at the root of my achiness and exhaustion - it's not even really exhaustion, it's a lack of energy - I think there's a difference.

Last edited: