• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Aspirin

Aspirin lowers blood pressure
https://www.webmd.com/hypertension-...0915/high-blood-pressure-nightly-aspirin-help

I tried it for a while because I have a family history of strokes and heart attacks. I felt it actually made my CFS worse because I have chronic low blood pressure. I don't think it is good for dysautonomia either

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...e/in-depth/daily-aspirin-therapy/art-20046797

https://www.healthline.com/health-n...in-regimen-heres-what-to-know#The-bottom-line

They seem to have made a u turn on aspirin saying it is not good to take everyday unless you have had a heart attack.

Oliver3

Aspirin lowers blood pressure
https://www.webmd.com/hypertension-...0915/high-blood-pressure-nightly-aspirin-help

I tried it for a while because I have a family history of strokes and heart attacks. I felt it actually made my CFS worse because I have chronic low blood pressure. I don't think it is good for dysautonomia either

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...e/in-depth/daily-aspirin-therapy/art-20046797

https://www.healthline.com/health-n...in-regimen-heres-what-to-know#The-bottom-line

They seem to have made a u turn on aspirin saying it is not good to take everyday unless you have had a heart attack.
I think there's different processes going on that lead to CFS. It almost literally changes me from being bedbound to being up and about within an hour. So I'd be very careful about making absolute s.
As for medical literature changing. When does it not. It might be changed back in a year's time. We are a typicals anyway so we have to try things that others wouldn't .

Interestingly, my stepfather has just had a suspected mild heart attack.
They've put him on high dose bloody thinners. Lots of different kinds. He has a severely degenerated spine. It's prolapsed and basically leaves him in agony. After the heart event, these blood thinners seem to have cured or at least put into remission his pain. This to me is incredible as he has previously been on oral morphine which just made his pain worse.
When this first happened, I asked the nurse and she said the only thing we've changed is increased his blood thinners. Sometimes the increase in circulation alleviates pressures on the spine.

I'm not sure how qualified she is to make that statement. But we're weeks out from the heart event. He sleeps ( after years of insomnia) and still has no back pain.

Also, in long covid, they are using heparin aren't they to see if it helps relieve microclotting.

If you have low blood pressure, I can see how this may be a problem, but it's interesting to me that aspirin may have many different modes of action other than just thinning the blood.

I'm gonna cycle it. I don't want to habituate to it but it just brought me out if one of my worst crashes in ages within an hour.

Obviously it's not curative but it's a treatment that I find really helps.
I'm sorry for you it's not the case tho.
But as I say, we are all different. I just post this in the hope it can help someone else.

Obviously the stomach issues etc and risks that come along with it have to be factored in but my Bp and adrenaline go through the roof when I crash..Bp meds do nothing.it feels like my blood gets sticky and is not oxygenated. Then bam, an aspirin or two later and I feel like my blood is cleaner.

I've had cardiac imaging n there's no disease in terms of plaque.
The aspirin also lessens my migraines and orthastic intolerance and pots.

Obviously anyone with bleeding disorders check, but I just wanted to report my positive experience with this. I know we're all different but this is almost a real life saver for me

Oliver3

Willow bark (Salix alba) is a possible herbal alternative to Asprin.
Thanks for that. I found that link interesting. That there are many properties to aspirin( and likely willow bark) that are anti viral and anti inflammatory.
Perhaps also modulating gut bacteria.
Obviously not a cure all but when I'm in need it helps.
Isn't aspirin a bark.
Pine needle bark ( pynagenonal) also has blood thinning, anti inflammatory, anti viral and huge doses of vit c.
Perhaps cycling all these may be a regime to consider or experiment with

YippeeKi YOW !!

Also, in long covid, they are using heparin aren't they to see if it helps relieve microclotting.
In patients who died of thrombotic blood clots following the AstroZeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines, all were also being treated with heparin, so hopefully, you're quoting old news here and Drs have adjusted their research to reflect that discovery .... apparently if the patient has a mutation affecting PF4, the action of the heparin is potentiated to a terminally toxic degree .....

Last edited:

Oliver3

In patients who died of thrombotic blood clots following the AstroZeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines, all were also being treated with heparin, so hopefully, you're quoting old news here and Drs have adjusted their research to reflect that discovery .... apparently if the patient has a mutation affecting PF4, the action of the heparin is potentiated to a terminally toxic degree .....
Who knows

Oliver3

Yes. As @andyguitar posted for you, aspirin is derived from the bark of the white willow tree, and was used by Native Americans for centuries, as well as European cultures, and as far back as ancient Egyptians and Sumerians, going back more than 3000 years ....
Andy didn't say anything about aspirin being derived from bark, I was being inclusive, appreciating what Andy said.
And the key word in your post is " possible".
I've just come out of a hellish run with pem, that aspirin pulld me out if, so I couldn't give two figs what the science is saying today.
I'm just sharing my experience

Last edited by a moderator:

Oliver3

Non of the science is settled. I don't know why this particular blood thinner works , but it does for me.. so blood thinners or smthg in them work. You know as well as me that science is very chageable. I'll go on what my body says thanks

Oliver3

Non of the science is settled. I don't know why this particular blood thinner works , but it does for me.. so blood thinners or smthg in them work. You know as well as me that science is very chageable. I'll go on what my body says thanks
You're also talking about reactions to a vaccine, I'm talking about long covid.
Anyway. No more negative vibes. I'm just glad to be alive after what I've been through

YippeeKi YOW !!

Last edited by a moderator:

GlassCannonLife

Yes. Strangely, it's mainly when I crash or am under stress that it helps. The other times, not so much, but it's a life saver.
Shame it did nothing for ya, but worth a try

Do you take a lot of fish oil? I wonder if that could be the mechanism. Chris Masterjohn has an interesting video on YouTube about EPA/DHA and how taking fish oil concurrently with aspirin can have a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect. I can't remember the exact mechanism but you can check it out on YouTube if you're interested.

Oliver3

@Oliver3
I am going to try Aspirin the next time I crash.
Can I ask what dose you take ?
And do you just take it for the duration of the crash?
I go by feel but I take low dose, say 150 mg sometimes a bit more. I always wrap it in sone food, within a meal because it can be hard on the stomach.
Over on health rising, they're talking about blood flow being a problem in CFS as well as the energy production . So it seems aspirin may work to some degree for others too

Oliver3

Do you take a lot of fish oil? I wonder if that could be the mechanism. Chris Masterjohn has an interesting video on YouTube about EPA/DHA and how taking fish oil concurrently with aspirin can have a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect. I can't remember the exact mechanism but you can check it out on YouTube if you're interested.
Fish oil sets off my mcas sadly. Get palpitations. But an interesting idea.I mean aspirin does have anti inflammatory properties so it could be that. I think it's likely a few mechanisms at play.

Learner1

Yes. As @andyguitar posted for you, aspirin is derived from the bark of the white willow tree, and was used by Native Americans for centuries, as well as European cultures, and as far back as ancient Egyptians and Sumerians, going back more than 3000 years ....
I have genetic and infection-driven hypercoagulation, and have been looking for a good answer. I cannot take aspirin because all forms have corn derivatives and I'm allergic to corn. I've looked into white willow bark, but it doesn't seem to be potent enough to have the needed anticoagulation. effects.

Plavix, coumadin, heparin and lovenox are anticoagulants but my hematologist has been hesitant to prescribe them due to side effects.

I'd be interested if anyone has any info on better alternatives.