• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Aspartame exposed - GM Bacteria used to create deadly sweetener

Carrigon

http://www.naturalnews.com/z030918_aspartame_GM_bacteria.html

(NaturalNews) The manufacturers of the most prevalent sweetener in the world have a secret, and it`s not a sweet one. Aspartame, an artificial sweetener found in thousands of products worldwide, has been found to be created using genetically modified (GM) bacteria. What`s even more shocking is how long this information has been known. A 1999 article by The Independent was the first to expose the abominable process in which aspartame was created. Ironically, the discovery was made around the same time as rich leaders around the globe met at the G8 Summit to discuss the safety of GM foods.

The 1999 investigation found that Monsanto, the largest biotech corporation in the world, often used GM bacteria to produce aspartame in their US production plants. The end result is a fusion between two of the largest health hazards to ever hit the food industry -- artificial sweeteners and an array of genetically altered organisms. Both have led to large-scale debate, with aspartame being the subject of multiple congressional hearings and scientific criticism. Scientists and health advocates are not the only ones to speak out against aspartame, however. The FDA received a flurry of complaints from consumers using NutraSweet, a product containing aspartame. Since 1992, the FDA has stopped documenting reports on the subject.

And there it is. Poisoned and Poisoned. This is what originally got me sick in the 80's. I have never been okay a day since.

lancelot

All synthetic sweeteners are poison. many have moved on from aspartame to splenda. understand that splenda is just as poisonous. use natural sweeteners like stevia, honey, molasses, etc. Even white sugar is better for you then artificial sweeteners.

taniaaust1

Many artificial sweeteners make me ill including Aspartame.

For anyone here who cant have sugar or dont want sugar for whatever reason, I highly suggest to get Xylitol which is not sugar but tastes exactly like sugar and is completely natural. (instead of coming from sugar cane, it comes from corncob or birch. It's expensive but well worth it)

Carrigon

I still urge anyone with our illness to study aspartame poisoning. You will be amazed at what you will find. And this article is my vindication. I have permanent eye damage from aspartame. Aspartame one hundred percent triggered my POTS and Fibromyalgia after my first ingestion of it in the 80's. There is no longer a mystery to me on what causes Fibromyalgia. The mystery is why no one wants to believe this deadly toxic poison can make you sick and keep you sick forever. Aspartame damage is permanent, especially when you've used it a long time and continue to be poisoned by it.

They used genetically modified bacteria to create Aspartame. They infected us with this bacteria on top of it being a toxic poison that hits every single organ system in your body. Some people get Fibro from it, some people get Lupus, some get MS. The list goes on. Aspartame is a known poison. I just hope someday those of us who have been harmed by it will get justice. There are over 92 symptoms of Aspartame poisoning. It causes so many things. And it is a major reason why alot of us do not feel good.

Dainty

I still urge anyone with our illness to study aspartame poisoning. You will be amazed at what you will find. And this article is my vindication. I have permanent eye damage from aspartame.

I don't doubt aspartame can cause permanent eye damage. On the documentary "Sweet Misery" a PhD who was a psychologist and ran a mental hospital decided to take the FDA up on their offer to let anyone who's qualified run their own study on it. The study was completely voluntary, everyone knew what they were getting into (it was mostly doctors and nurses who partook) and it was a double-blind study. They had to stop it early after two people on the aspartame ended up in teh hospital with severe eye problems, one nearly permanently lost their sight. Everyone realized it was too dangerous to even test it on themselves.

I strongly encourage everyone to stay away from it.

Aspartame one hundred percent triggered my POTS and Fibromyalgia after my first ingestion of it in the 80's. There is no longer a mystery to me on what causes Fibromyalgia. The mystery is why no one wants to believe this deadly toxic poison can make you sick and keep you sick forever.

It may well have been the thing that triggered your illness, but it didn't trigger mine. My mother was strongly concerned about any artificial sweeteners and would not bring them into the house or allow me to eat them at all growing up. I became ill at a young age. When you say that Fibromyalgia is caused by aspartame you do me a great disfavor, as I have fibromyalgia even though I have studiously avoided aspartame all my life. Yes, it is possible that every once in a while while eating packaged food at someone else's house a tiny bit of aspartame might have entered my diet. But if that miniscule amount is enough to cause fibro then why aren't the vast majority of people who down multiple diet drinks a day coming down with it?

I know a woman with MS. She got it quite early in life. She grew up eating healthy, homegrown food and thus avoided all sodas, packaged food, and other common sources of aspartame. Yet she came down with MS in her late 20s or early 30s, I believe. Like me, I suppose it's possible she ingested small amounts from other places such as potlucks and such, but again, if the occasional miniscule amount can cause severe MS then a lot more people who eat aspartame day in and day out should be getting severely ill.

Again, I'm not saying that aspartame is not poisonous--I am convinced that it is. I'm just pointing out that your comments about it causing fibro, lupus, and MS do not match up with what I've seen and experienced, and thus I do not believe they are accurate.

Fibro, like CFS, is diagnosed in the absence of other causes. If someone finds that avoiding aspartame makes their fibro go away, then the logical reasoning is that the fibro was a misdiagnosis.

Dainty

I do not recommend Xylitol either.

Xylitol may be "natural".....but so is aspartame. Let me quote this PhD. guy from the documentary "Sweet Misery" (watch it for free here):

When the body breaks down aspartame, you wind up with a small amount of methanol, which is wood alcohol, that in turn is broken down into formaldehyde, which the body cannot get rid of--the body stores. Now the industry has made a big deal about supposedly the "fact" when you take in fruit you take in more methanol. They don't add the fact that in nature the methanol in fruit is bound to something called pectin. Humans lack the enzyme to split the methanol off from pectin so it goes through the body without doing any damage whatsoever. The body doesn't get exposed to the methanol because it's bound to pectin. So even though there's more of it, it's totally harmless in fruit. But with aspartame you have the pure, unadulterated, free methanol, and then formaldehyde. It's a small amount, but the body can't get rid of it...very very toxic.​

So part of the breakdown of aspartame includes wood alcohol, which is okay in nature where it's bound to pectin but causes damage when refined because it's split away from the protective pectin.

Xylitol is another form of alcohol found in nature. That's refined. Hmm, possibly not good. See, when you take things naturally discovered in nature and then refine them by doing all sorts of unnatural stuff to it, then at some point it's no longer "natural", or at least not the way nature intended it. Just like eating aspartame is very different from eating a bite of fruit, so also eating xylitol is a lot different than eating corn. Just because the later is safe and natural doesn't mean the former is.

I know my experience with Xylitol has been that even very small amounts cause me headaches. I don't care what the studies say; they point to a lot of studies that claim aspartame is completely safe too. And how many decades has it been on the market?

For those avoiding sugar, the two non-sugar sweeteners I recommend are natural Stevia, and by that I mean ground of leaves of the herb, or miracle fruit, which works by tricking your tastebuds into reporting everything as extremely sweet for about half an hour after eating it. Both are available in completely natural form and both have a long history of safe use.

3CFIDS@ourhouse

still me
Aspartame in colonoscopy prep

Aspartame caused muscle tremors and fasciculations in my husband years before he got sick. It is a potent neurotoxin. I know many of you carefully avoid it. Just a note of caution- anyone having a colonoscopy, please check the ingredients of the liquid prep you are prescribed. My husband recently had to have a colonoscopy, and it just occurred to him to look up the ingredients of the stuff he had to drink. It was flavored with aspartame- a whole gallon of it! It would have been disastrous. He was able to get an alternative with no sweetener. I heard that there is a new aspartame product, AminoSweet, I guess to confuse people who are aware of the dangers of aspartame or NutraSweet.

Carrigon

They now hide aspartame in about ten thousand products WITHOUT ever labeling it. They got permission to hide it in corn syrup which is in nearly everything on the market. It's just ridiculous to ever claim you don't have it or are "avoiding" it. You aren't. It's in there. And yes, a very tiny amount can trigger all kinds of diseases and conditions. Just like a tiny amount of cyanide can kill you. It's a poison.

The affects of aspartame are cumulative. Some people will appear to not have a reaction other than maybe a headache, and then later on, they get MS or Lupus. Others who have different genetic makeup will get Fibro, brain tumors, and a whole host of other things from it. I've done extensive research on aspartame poisoning and spent time with Dr. Betty Martini who specializes in aspartame poisoning and is trying to get it banned world wide. I suggest doing the research, because there is plenty of it out there that proves all the symptoms. And even a small amount can make you permanently sick for life. It wasn't just put in diet products, it was put into vitamins, including the gelcaps themselves. It was put into toothpastes, mouthwashes, it is in nearly all chewing gum on the market and breathmints. It is now in most common packaged food items and is currently labeled as "natural flavoring" when there is nothing natural about it. The way our food laws are currently setup, anyone can put arsenic, cyanide, and lead into your food and call it a "natural flavor", doesn't make it any less poisonous. It is also included in many OTC and prescription medications as part of the fillers. You are getting your daily dose of poison, one way or the other.

AminoSweet is just another name for NutraSweet, they changed the name so they could continue to pump this poison into the food supply, hoping all sheeple would continue to use it.

Just one use of aspartame, just a small amount, can destroy your life. And you cannot avoid it. Not when it is hidden in so many things. Do the research, stop being a sheeple. Wake up.
http://dorway.com/dorwblog/

Dainty

They now hide aspartame in about ten thousand products WITHOUT ever labeling it. They got permission to hide it in corn syrup which is in nearly everything on the market. It's just ridiculous to ever claim you don't have it or are "avoiding" it. You aren't.

And you cannot avoid it. Not when it is hidden in so many things. Do the research, stop being a sheeple. Wake up.

Ouch.

So many things are coming to mind for me to type and I keep backspacing them. Sarcastic and biting remarks are not what I want my response to be, and yet I'm trembling all over because it's just so shocking to me that a fellow PWC would speak to me in this way, in such an uncalled for manner, and act as if they knew better than I do what goes into my mouth.

Since you are apparently concerned, here is the list of all I eat, please explain to me how you think I am ingesting aspartame:

Organic potatoes
hormone-free, antibiotic-free grassfed beef
Wild game (occasionally)
Organic Extra-virgin coconut oil
Organic Coconut flour
Organic pecans
Honey from a local beekeeper
Butter oil centerfuged from organic butter
Cod liver oil, fermented, raw, unfiltered
Occasional fresh produce

Aspartame may very well be in nearly all processed foods. Some people don't eat processed foods. Some people grew up not eating processed foods. I'm not sure if you just don't believe that, or what. I'm baffled.

P.S. That's interesting to know about it being in corn syrup. Corn syrup was another one that was not permitted in the house growing up. My mom make sure to read every label and she would not purchase anything containing corn syrup.

Edit: About the medications, all of my medications are custom compounded out of necesity due to my severe MCS. That means only active ingredients and, if absolutely necessary (such as with topical creams), a base that's as neutral and non-toxic as possible, determined by a veteran in the field of environmental medicine. I do not swallow capsules.

I use salt for toothpaste and ground cloves as mouthwash.

Do you still think that my claim of avoiding aspartame is "ridiculous"?

This is all very interesting. I have very strong formaldehyde sensitivity, confirmed by tests. I very much think of it as something that builds up and can't be detoxed; that has reached a 'threshold' like a full tub of water - when you pour more in, it starts spilling over...the threshold for formaldehyde exposure (and exposure to some of the other things I'm sensitive too) feels similar to that sort of model.

During the year I made huge improvements I began getting all my food from a small, entirely organic supermarket. So I would certainly have been getting aspartame (and lots of other crap) in processed food before that time, but not since. It certainly did seem to make a big difference.

I don't know much about the evidence re: the harmful effects of aspartame but the revelation that GM techniques were in use back then and this has been introduced by stealth without permission in this way - that's just a disgrace. Just shows once again: it's not democratically-minded we're dealing with here.