• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ARUP testing

Springbok1988

Hello everyone,

My local Quest lab cannot forward samples to ARUP. Their website says it’s not available in my location and my doctor couldn’t figure out a way to get my samples there. What are my options?
I had the test done through Quest which showed a positive coxsackie B6 result. That was 10 months after an enterovirus-like infection. That was 6 months ago. I am wanting evidence of a chronic infection.
Thank you for your help in advance!

5vforest

Are there any private phlebotomy services in your area? I used to live in a rural area and the only option for getting blood drawn was the local hospital's laboratory. It was quite a pain.

Do you mind sharing your general location?

Springbok1988

I live in the Kansas City, KS area. I’ll look up private phlebotomy services around here. There’s bound to be one.

Hip

My local Quest lab cannot forward samples to ARUP. Their website says it’s not available in my location and my doctor couldn’t figure out a way to get my samples there. What are my options?

Getting Quest or LabCorp to send your blood serum sample to ARUP is a perennial problem! Even when you think you have arranged it, Quest or LabCorp may actually perform the coxsackievirus B or echovirus test in-house using their own lab, which is the wrong test.

So when you get the test results, make sure it says ARUP on the paper, otherwise you may have just been given the insensitive complement fixation tests Quest or LabCorp offer in-house.

See this thread, where people are pulling their hair out trying to get Quest or LabCorp to send their serum to ARUP Lab!

Some info on ordering the ARUP tests is also given in the CVB and echovirus section of my ME/CFS roadmap.

One new option: you can now order these ARUP tests more reliably (and without needing a doctor's order) through Any Lab Test Now.

Last edited:

Springbok1988

I’ve been trying to figure out how to get the ARUP test done for 7 months. I finally got it! After another doctor told me it couldn’t be done, I had a chat with the phlebotomist in the lab. She immediately knew what to do. She pulled out a blood draw order form, filled it in with the ARUP test codes, got it signed by the doctor, and handed it to me. She told me to take it to the hospital since they work with ARUP directly.
I’m not sure how much my insurance will cover but at this point, I just wanted that test done.

sometexan84

I’ve been trying to figure out how to get the ARUP test done for 7 months. I finally got it! After another doctor told me it couldn’t be done, I had a chat with the phlebotomist in the lab. She immediately knew what to do. She pulled out a blood draw order form, filled it in with the ARUP test codes, got it signed by the doctor, and handed it to me. She told me to take it to the hospital since they work with ARUP directly.
I’m not sure how much my insurance will cover but at this point, I just wanted that test done.
Which lab had such a helpful phlebotomist? I would love to be able to find a way to get this test done correctly every time.

I'd used AnyLabTestNow, and it DID work... but there were still issues. They go through Quest, and Quest processed my specimen themselves... ALTN had to go through a lot of trouble to get Quest to send it to ARUP. It took weeks to get the ARUP results.

So, I still haven't found a reliable method.

Springbok1988

Which lab had such a helpful phlebotomist?

I talked to the phlebotomist at my PCP. She draws for Quest. Since the Quest lab in my area can’t forward the samples to ARUP, she said the hospital could help me. She had worked at the hospital before she worked at my PCP’s office and she was familiar with ARUP from working there.
Based on this experience, I would ask the phlebotomist at your PCP if they know whether your local hospital can draw for ARUP. If not, see if they can call and ask. If the hospital can, then have the phlebotomist fill out a blood draw order form to take to the hospital and have the doctor sign it. Make sure to have the ARUP codes with you so they can write them on the form. With this method, the test should go directly through ARUP and bypass the Quest/Labcorp issues.
CVB: 0060055

EV: 0060053
I hope this helps anyone having issues getting this test!