• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Arm symptoms

Jemima37

Recently I've hit a bad fatigue stage again, a crash. I was doing so much better after a 9 month crash. I had 5 much better months but now I'm back resting on my bed most of the day, struggling to be on my feet downstairs, hubby cooking after work at night, doing the laundry etc to help which I hate asking him to do. Am I alone in this?

Also recently my arms are an issue. I'd sometimes get weak fatigues arms in a crash but this time round it's different. I cant hold my phone for long because if I do my forearms ache and top of hands, like a horrible fatigued ache as though I've iber used them. My upper arms can ache but ite mostly on the top of the forearms, top of hands and shoulder blades. Once it hits after I've used my phone to text or go online for distraction, I then feel I have to stop. If i ignore it then thr arms feel like they've got bricks on top, they feel achy and heavy, not so much weak. I then feel crashed. It comes on after using my phone during the day and i know it's a habit u have to break.

Does anyone get this with their arms? I've washed my hair today, dried it, taken washing downstairs, tried new clothes on ans then sat on my phone on Instagram and wham it hit and now my arms are hit with the symptoms. I know I shouldnt ve writing this. Its been daily now since it last Thursday after I used some scissors to trim the ends or my hair, my arms just crashed afterwards and haven't felt good since. I can feel it's gone one day but soon as I use my phone or dried my hair it'll hit again.

Jemima37

Have you checked your spine? Diseases of the cervical spine can cause hand weakness.
I've not had my spine checked by anyone. It's more a fatigue of my forearms and top of hands than a weak feeling. It's just heavy aches.

Diwi9

Administrator
I get this, but also numbness in my hands. I'm not as sick as I used to be and these symptoms have lightened up, especially in frequency. During an episode, I have muscle twitches that cause me to have reduced dexterity. One thing that will trigger it for me is just repetitive movements...and I think that typing may be why my forearms get hit so hard. But then, like you, my shoulders can be impacted as well. One difference is that I do develop weakness.

I've had numerous MRI's and am informally DX'd with CCI (formal consultation has been delayed).

Jemima37

Thank you. I'm beginning to wonder if I have fibro as I've had pain often this year.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
It's more a fatigue of my forearms and top of hands than a weak feeling. It's just heavy aches.

Very low blood pressure causes this feeling for me. If I try to hold my arms upright for more than a few seconds I can feel the blood drain out. If I try to do anything with them while holding them up then I get rapid muscle fatigue and ache. I'm OK using my arms if they're somewhat downward though (e.g. chopping vegetables), so that the blood can circulate better with the help of gravity.