• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Arm swing indicator for dementia and potentially other neurological disease

Hufsamor

Oh, I figured it out!
I loved it!
I’m already trying to walk some steps backwards and some steps sideways on my way to the bathroom or the kitchen.
I’ll now add arm swings for sure!

Blue Jay

Difficult to swing arms when using a stick outside but I'll definitely try to include some of those tips when at home (which is most of the time anyway). Thanks @linusbert

linusbert

probably any neurological stimulation will benefit neurological status , like muscular movements would.

and i started to play final fantasy 7 a remake of a old video game i used to play as kid with lots of different mechanics. reaction, memory, speed, musical... and sadly i cant do much of it, so i do multiple smaller sessions. over the week or the day depending.
but what i noticed is that i am slightly worse compared to other casual youtube gamers. i can almost max score everything, but i need to take like 5-10 tries where as other normal folks seam to do it in 1-5 tries. which is kinda frustrating.
i also realized its harder for me to learn new mechanics.
and when i overdo it, i get in crash territory and have to take a break for 1-2 weeks.. annoying.
probably good i started this now again to get a bit of mental flexibility back.

Hufsamor

probably good i started this now again to get a bit of mental flexibility back.

I believe it’s very good for you.
As I’ve had an older mother and now an older mother in law with their lack in cognitive functioning, I’ve read a lot of research lately, on how to keep the mental health as good as possible.
I must admit I’ve been a tiny bit worried, as I (and we all) are living such restricted lives, without the mental stimulation most people gets every day.

To play this game of yours is a splendid idea.
I’ve started up a few small things as well. (Like how to walk to the bathroom- arm swings, sideways, backwards, small step, big step.)

I’m terrible at a lot of the things I do. And I can’t practice too much, as I’ll crash if I push myself. (Like puzzles. Among other stuff I ’ve started puzzling. But I need to restrict myself, I might use a month on a puzzle while other uses an afternoon or a couple of days)
But I’m telling myself that if I was very good at something, it most likely wouldn’t be as beneficial? I’m telling myself that it’s the challenge more than the doing that is good for the brain.

And all the evidence points in he same direction. Even if we can’t do much, everything we do to challenge our self, and bring a tiny bit of variation into our lives, is good for us indeed.

This game of yours seems to be challenging in a lot of different ways…

Maybe when I get tired of my puzzles, I’ll look into video games?

Blue Jay

That looks interesting, @linusbert, but I couldn't cope with any more online stuff. I try to do various puzzles - cryptic crosswords, codeword, wordsearch as much as possible.

The problem is spreading out the energy to cope with that as well as day-to-day tasks. I should also mention that I am 82 years old and life is getting more and more difficult to cope with.

However, the willpower is still there to keep trying!!!

Now for the arm swings on my way to the next room!