• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are we "high-risk" patients?

ellie84

@xebex I guess lately I had a couple of episodes that could be classified as PEM, though I'm not entirely sure. I would prefer an expert to say it, but I have no means right now to get evaluated. Before? I get ups and downs in fatigue and other symptoms, but I'm not really sure I could pin point them to specific exertional activities. Maybe it wasn't CFS and now it is, but honestly I think that under each of us' condition there is something different.

xebex

@ellie28 I see, and for sure there is some under lieing cause for all fatigue, even in Me/cfs! I believe that There is a stressor (could be anything from virus to structural issue to anything inbetween)which makes the nervous system shut the body down. A lot of people can’t pin point the particular activity until they become an expert at pacing. And it doesn’t have to be exertional In the traditional sense, the more severe you are the less exertion it takes. For example when I was severe just chatting to someone for 5 minutes could crash me and put me in bed. But I was mild for 6 years before that and at that time only rigorous physical activity put me in bed and I’d recover fast. It’s such a huge spectrum. I hope you can pinpoint t the cause for you!