• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are exemptions from the Covid-19 Vaccine possible in the UK? Likely to lose my job if not

Replenished

Hi,

I work for the NHS and to say I manage to work with my condition may be misleading. I work from home, from a laptop, often in bed, for a couple of hours a day. Luckily this has been ok for a year or so now and I just about get done what I need to do.

I've had an email through from my manager asking for my vaccination status and dates of jabs due to Covid vaccination becoming mandatory for NHS staff. My role is a patient facing role by definition but currently it's all on the phone. Either way, my role the mandate would apply to.

I'm wondering if anyone has managed to get a vaccine exemption or find any way around this. I know there will be many here that think I should just get the vaccine but my health is the worst it's ever been and I cannot risk any adverse reaction. Yes they are supposedly rare but if you look under the surface there are thousands suffering serious adverse reactions. Aside from that I had Covid just a few months ago so likely have some immunity but I know naturally immunity pretty much counts for nothing nowadays. We can get into the argument about if the vaccine reduces transmission, we know it doesn't stop it, so the vaccine mandate seems illogical anyway, but it is what it is.

The added problem is, I have no official diagnosis. I have been referred to the ME/CFS clinic as well as Rheumatology to look at possible autoimmune issues but I am awaiting initial appointments. My health has been poor for 5 years and my GP is aware but again I'm yet to have a diagnosis.

Is there anything I can do?

Treeman

I think if you had covid it offers some immunity and you don't need to get a jab for a few months. Also, if you've had covid 19 a booster shouldn't be an issue, but note there or no guarantees.

I had covid 19 last January, knocked me out for 3 months. I've now had 3 boosters all with no problems. Hope this helps.

Replenished

I think if you had covid it offers some immunity and you don't need to get a jab for a few months. Also, if you've had covid 19 a booster shouldn't be an issue, but note there or no guarantees.

I had covid 19 last January, knocked me out for 3 months. I've now had 3 boosters all with no problems. Hope this helps.

Hi Treeman, thanks but it's not about needing or not needing the jab for health reasons. I know infection should give some immunity, far better immunity than the vaccine going by most studies but the NHS are still making vaccination mandatory, even if you have natural immunity. So at the moment I either have to get the vaccine or face losing my job. My health is more important than my job so on balance I currently choose to not be vaccinated.

Treeman

Hi Treeman, thanks but it's not about needing or not needing the jab for health reasons. I know infection should give some immunity, far better immunity than the vaccine going by most studies but the NHS are still making vaccination mandatory, even if you have natural immunity. So at the moment I either have to get the vaccine or face losing my job. My health is more important than my job so on balance I currently choose to not be vaccinated.

I think the only other thing I could say would be to speak about it with your line manager.

As an employee of the NHS I believe if you want a referral you could be put to the front of the line for an assessment of ME/CFS. However I also understand you may not want to speak to a line manager about your health for obvious reasons.

I always found being open and honest with my line manager was the only way, no matter how bad the outcome. Hope you find a solution, good luck.

Replenished

In the UK I don't think they really care, the nuance of any position is utterly lost. All the recommendations on who should and shouldn't take the vaccine have been utterly crushed as everyone should have it, period end of discussion. Its a position I utterly disagree especially its a) not a very effective vaccine, it certainly isn't wiping covid out and b) there are quite a lot of people who have bad reactions to vaccines who should be avoiding them generally. The issue is the NHS is atrocious, I mean genuinely the worst for gaslighting the ill. I wish I could say you should get a reasonable human response because you appear to have an autoimmune disease but the situation as it stands right now in the UK that is just unlikely, worth pursuing obviously but also unlikely.

I agree with every word you say. Utterly farcical this whole Vaccine mandate/Vaccine pass situation.

Replenished

This is misinformation. The vaccines are highly effective in protecting against death and hospitalization from Covid.

To be fair he/she did go on to say in that same sentence, "it certainly isn't wiping Covid out" which is true and would suggest he/she was talking about it not being effective at stopping transmission or creating herd immunity, which is true.

There in lies the frustration and lack of logic in the vaccine mandates. Yes the vaccine reduces chances of death and hospitalisition from Covid, so an individual can take it if they want protection. But the idea of taking it to protect others is a bit of a stretch at this point.

Last edited: