• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

aperiomics

Pyrrhus

@Hip, apparently this test can identify all RNA viruses such as enteroviruses. See RNA Option here: https://aperiomics.com/testing-guide/

Yes and no. This company uses "shotgun metagenomic sequencing", which is a term that describes the sequencing of any DNA found in the sample provided. Such techniques are currently in the research stage, so little is known about how accurate they are. Nonetheless, such techniques will become much more important in the future.

They also offer to look for RNA instead of DNA, but this process is fraught with potential lab inaccuracies, so looking for RNA should be expected to come with significantly more errors than looking for DNA.

It must be noted that, even if a pathogen is in the sample provided to the company, it won't be detected if the pathogen isn't in the company's database of pathogens. That is to say, if it is a novel or uncatalogued pathogen, it can't be detected.

Most importantly, if the pathogen is not in the sample provided to the company, then it is obviously impossible to detect. This would apply to persistent RNA virus infections that are mostly confined to the central nervous system, such as enteroviruses.

Last edited:

Hip

@Hip, apparently this test can identify all RNA viruses such as enteroviruses. See RNA Option here: https://aperiomics.com/testing-guide/

My guess is that it may detect enterovirus if you provided an infected tissue sample (eg, stomach tissue), but probably is not going to work on blood samples, as there is usually too little enterovirus in the blood (though severe ME/CFS patients tend to have more enterovirus in the blood).

It must be noted that, even if a pathogen is in the sample provided to the company, it won't be detected if the pathogen isn't in the company's database of pathogens. That is to say, if it is a novel or uncatalogued pathogen, it can't be detected.

I am not sure how these commercial consumer sequencing tests work and are interpreted, but I remember reading that in the research environment, that novel undiscovered pathogens can be detected, as novel pathogens tend to be a new recombination of existing genetic sequences. So if you have a database of all the genetic sequences found in known pathogens, you are able to detect novel pathogens.

Is this the same test or related to a similar sounding testing from someplace like UCSF or UC-Davis or UC-Berkley?

Sounds like this could be a game changer for lyme patients and testing.

@zaika11 how much did your test cost? Did it reveal any infections?
EDIT: Price is $697 (per sample), which is very reasonable. Price found here: https://ss-usa.s3.amazonaws.com/c/308475722/media/18705da0f538db20248135868761111/Aperiomics Pre Order Fillable.pdf.
yes, correct, this price I paid
unfortunately, I cant say anything about testing in UCSF and other places, I am Russian and live in Russia:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes and no. This company uses "shotgun metagenomic sequencing", which is a term that describes the sequencing of any DNA found in the sample provided. Such techniques are currently in the research stage, so little is known about how accurate they are. Nonetheless, such techniques will become much more important in the future.

They also offer to look for RNA instead of DNA, but this process is fraught with potential lab inaccuracies, so looking for RNA should be expected to come with significantly more errors than looking for DNA.

Most importantly, if the pathogen is not in the sample provided to the company, then it is obviously impossible to detect. This would apply to persistent RNA virus infections that are mostly confined to the central nervous system, such as enteroviruses.

I dont think even DNA testing will work for viruses. Because they didnt find my HHV-6,7 which I have in PCR in blood. By the way I have positive PCR HHV4,7 in bone marrow. And lots copies HHV4,6,7 in saliva.
High antibodies for coxsaski and echo viruses. Also I have always positive IFA for parvovirus(but I dont take it serious of course).

BUT
I am seriose confused about bacterial founds. Because it highly correlate with all my new symptoms which I got a few months ago. When I got unknown bacterial infection, which I could stop different kinds of antibiotics. I used it for 2 months, and in the end only fluoroquinolones helped me. And now infection returned again, and I again use antibiotic.. I did all possible types of regular testings for all bacterial infections (like lyme, yersinia and others), but didnt find anything. Only Brucella antibody test was doubtful..

And Aperiomics found 2 unknown rare bacterias which belong Brucella group (Ochrobactrum pituitosum and one more) in very significant level. Also they said in letter (just in text) I have some extra small % candida in plasma, which also may give a troubles and my symptoms. And this found I was scary a bit - because I REALLY have right now lots of candida. It have candida infection on skin, gastrointestinal tract, we found big level even in saliva. Everything confirmed by PCR test and bacterial sowing.

And my friend from Russia who also did this testing, also "have" this bacteria, only much less.

So a few facts- like types of symptoms, too stubborn infection, sensitivity just for antibiotics which usually treat Brucella, doubtful antibody test for Brucella- gives me thoughts it maybe be a true really.. even candida found has a real correction..

Just wanted to know, if someone had experience with this testing.. Its nice to accumulate all guesses to get a true

Last edited:

junkcrap50

Yes, a lot! I finally recognise a pathogen, and my treatment (it requested a special antibiotics protocol) was successful
Whoa awesome! Can you provide more details? What was the pathogen? What was the treatment? How was the result? Are you cured now?

Ahah I wish all was so easy!
I have a primary immune deficiency 7(!) different mutations, aplastic anemia age lots others problems. Last year I got a serious bacterial infection (I already had CFS for 6 years, but it was only a viral infections, which I successfully treated on distance with antiviral drugs). And we could not find a pathogen for this bacterial infection with routine methods, I did almost ALL possible tests. And it was very stubborn for antibiotics, I tried many different groups. I had once doubtful antibody for brucellosis, and most of symptoms looked same this infection. So I kept it in mind just bc I didn’t have any other ideas. And finally I got this metagenomics test, and it shows I have in blood a bacteria from brucella group- Ochrobactrum. So I tried a antibiotic treatment exactly for this bacteria (it’s only a few drugs can works, and you need to take it for a long period), and those antibiotics immediately helped. After I went for IVIG infusions.
But now I got a new problems, bc of my immunodeficiency. This year I am fighting with fungal+mold invasions, and Covid. What’s why I am not Ok, and not sure I will be one day, too many organs damages now. Sorry if I sounds pessimistic.

So what I learnt from Aperiomics. It maybe ANY bacteria (simply from meat/milk (even pasteurised), insects and others). Not only famous Lyme and Co. And I don’t trust them in viruses founds at all. But in my case this bacterial found was VERY helpful

Ahah I wish all was so easy!
I have a primary immune deficiency 7(!) different mutations, aplastic anemia age lots others problems. Last year I got a serious bacterial infection (I already had CFS for 6 years, but it was only a viral infections, which I successfully treated on distance with antiviral drugs). And we could not find a pathogen for this bacterial infection with routine methods, I did almost ALL possible tests. And it was very stubborn for antibiotics, I tried many different groups. I had once doubtful antibody for brucellosis, and most of symptoms looked same this infection. So I kept it in mind just bc I didn’t have any other ideas. And finally I got this metagenomics test, and it shows I have in blood a bacteria from brucella group- Ochrobactrum. So I tried a antibiotic treatment exactly for this bacteria (it’s only a few drugs can works, and you need to take it for a long period), and those antibiotics immediately helped. After I went for IVIG infusions.
But now I got a new problems, bc of my immunodeficiency. This year I am fighting with fungal+mold invasions, and Covid. What’s why I am not Ok, and not sure I will be one day, too many organs damages now. Sorry if I sounds pessimistic.

So what I learnt from Aperiomics. It maybe ANY bacteria (simply from meat/milk (even pasteurised), insects and others). Not only famous Lyme and Co. And I don’t trust them in viruses founds at all. But in my case this bacterial found was VERY helpful

What makes you not trust them in viruses?