• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone used Lions Mane???

Hoosierfans

My doc suggested I try it for a cognitive boost / brain fog so yesterday I chucked 1 gram down the “well of hope it helps.”

Wasnt expecting anything much, but within about half an hour my insane skin / nerve burning that is all over my body and brain let up probably 50%!!! Whaaat! I looked it up, and apparently folks love it not only as a cognitive enhancer but it’s shown amazing results in repairing and regrowing nerves. Could this be part of my answer??

Curious if anyone else has tried it...I just found one or two previous mentions here on PR.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Thanks, @L'engle. That's a good article.

I'm actually allergic to mushrooms (fungi) but I would still try them if I thought they would help my brain. Maybe they would also get rid of my faint-tinglies which seems like it must be some kind of nerve damage. :D

Hoosierfans

@Hoosierfans, do you experience swollen brain feeling? If so, did it help with that?
Hey Judee — so this is just Day #3 on Lions Mane but I can say an emphatic YES to your question! I have always felt like my brain is 5x too big for my head, and I realized this morning that that feeling is probably down 80 percent! Woot woot! My brain feels lighter, my severe anxiety is down, my mood is uplifted (I have very severe depression from my symptoms).

Today the body burning is down a little — not the relief I got the first day, but it’s there and importantly the burning in my brain is much less. It’s crazy! I’ll report back as the weeks go on, but knowing that nerve healing takes time I expect that the burning will improve as the weeks go on. For now I’ll enjoy the big reduction in brain symptoms..... 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🧠⭐️⭐️🧠🧠⭐️⭐️🧠🧠⭐️🧠⭐️🙌🏻

Hip

When I tried a heaped teaspoon of lion's mane (Hericium erinaceus) mushroom powder, on some occasions (but not always) I felt a strange type of mental numbness: my hearing felt distant, like the distant hearing you get when landing in an aircraft, before your ears pop; but my whole mind had this "distant" sensation, feeling mentally remote from the world, and also more unsociable. Weird.

Lion's mane stimulates the release nerve growth factor (NGF).

You can buy a potent lion's mane extract called amyloban 3399, although it is expensive.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Today the body burning is down a little

When you say, "body burning" do you mean like a sunburn feeling on your skin? We were just talking about that in a Lyme group I'm a part of on FB. I did not realize there was a name for it. Someone said it is called Allodynia.

Is the Lion's Mane still helping?

Hoosierfans

When you say, "body burning" do you mean like a sunburn feeling on your skin? We were just talking about that in a Lyme group I'm a part of on FB. I did not realize there was a name for it. Someone said it is called Allodynia.

Is the Lion's Mane still helping?
Yes!!! It’s like a have a major sunburn all over my legs, arms, face and in my brain. Also feels electricity like. So it’s burning (hot like a sunburn / burn) but also burn like constant electricity running through me.

So unfortunately no, I had to stop taking it. It really helped the first day, the second and third maybe a little bit for the burning but majorly cleared up my head (amazing!) but then by Day 4 I started developing hives. I got a major spike in symptoms another 2 days later so I put it aside.

I may try again sometime later at a lower dose and keep it low (I was trying 1 g 3 x day)

2Cor.12:19

Yes!!! It’s like a have a major sunburn all over my legs, arms, face and in my brain. Also feels electricity like. So it’s burning (hot like a sunburn / burn) but also burn like constant electricity running through me.

So unfortunately no, I had to stop taking it. It really helped the first day, the second and third maybe a little bit for the burning but majorly cleared up my head (amazing!) but then by Day 4 I started developing hives. I got a major spike in symptoms another 2 days later so I put it aside.

I may try again sometime later at a lower dose and keep it low (I was trying 1 g 3 x day)
@Hoosierfans I'm glad you posted this as I just learned about it and want to give it a try. I'm sorry you had to stop taking it though - maybe try a different brand or dose?

I'm hoping it will help with my severe axonal polyneuropathy - helping with brain fog and fatigue would be icing on the cake.

This paper was interesting. Lion's Head also goes by other names; eg; Monkey's Head, etc.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3176599/

Also this https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323400
https://www.drugs.com/npp/lion-s-mane-mushroom.html

What brand did you try? I've been reading the reviews on Amazon for Host Defense: Mushrooms: Lion's Head. Over 6,000 reviews avg almost 5 stars. Some people said they had problems with other brands.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WJ2ALO/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1

Last edited:

xebex

i tried it a few weeks ago, you may have already seen my post about it. After 4 days of taking it I had a day of "remission" on the Wednesday, i walked 6000 steps with no symptoms and no PEM. I took it easy on Thursday and by friday It had stopped working and I was back to my usual self - there were some other potential things that could have attributed to this miracle day but I'm pretty sure it was the lions mane. I will try it again soon I think - stopped it because I decided to try Dr Wetzels protocol.

Last edited: