• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone Tried Tirosint Gelcaps for Hashimoto's?

Gondwanaland

@brenda thanks for the reply!
I have also kicked dairy and sugar so hopefully that will help my Hashi's
I found myself feeling better having some sugar every once in a while and eating small amounts of fruit daily. Once my food intolerances subsided I also went back to dairy (except milk) which seems to be helpful for high uric acid.
T3 alone but still not good as soon as I started to raise the dose aboove 5 mcg
I have been trying to convince my dr to raise my T3. I am on T4 25mcg and T3 5mcg for a littel over a month now and adding the T3 has been a great improvement. I read about so many people being on T3 only here that I have been phantasizing that this would be my solution. Perhaps I should just start LDN at once :confused:

brenda

@brenda thanks for the reply!

I found myself feeling better having some sugar every once in a while and eating small amounts of fruit daily. Once my food intolerances subsided I also went back to dairy (except milk) which seems to be helpful for high uric acid.

I have been trying to convince my dr to raise my T3. I am on T4 25mcg and T3 5mcg for a littel over a month now and adding the T3 has been a great improvement. I read about so many people being on T3 only here that I have been phantasizing that this would be my solution. Perhaps I should just start LDN at once :confused:

I have stopped fruit as well due to my glucose levels. I use coconut nectar for sweeteners. When you are off sugar do you use any kind of sweeteners? I do use ghee. My GP won't even treat my thyroid so have to go it alone. I have wondered about LDN but have not tried it yet. Let me know how you get on if you do.

Gondwanaland

I have stopped fruit as well due to my glucose levels.
My fasting glucose is always below 80.
I use coconut nectar for sweeteners.
I haven't been toleration coconut products. I think they stimulate the thyroid too much, plus the salicylates...
When you are off sugar do you use any kind of sweeteners?
Never
My GP won't even treat my thyroid so have to go it alone.
:mad:
I have wondered about LDN but have not tried it yet. Let me know how you get on if you do.
I won't start it before April...

Gondwanaland

as I am intolerant to so much especially Vit D and b12 which I am low in.
They stimulate the thyroid :( I find that with Hashi's I have to avoid thyroid stimulation :rolleyes:

Edit: at least until when I have enough supplemental T3 I guess...

brenda

They stimulate the thyroid :( I find that with Hashi's I have to avoid thyroid stimulation :rolleyes:

Edit: at least until when I have enough supplemental T3 I guess...

As far as I understand, it is the immune system that gets stimulated and so increases its attack on the thryoid, hence I get more hypo symptoms. Are you saying that you get hyper symptoms?

Ah salicylate :( I don't have any obvious reaction and gave them up fpr a while, but I do have salicylate attatched to my dna so was advised to avoid it. Hmm I use coconut oil and do you use aminos like me? I guess I could do a trial to see if it makes any difference and use stevia or xylotol for the only treat I have ie buckwheat cakes/crackers with carob on the top but don't relish the thought of it :(

Gondwanaland

As far as I understand, it is the immune system that gets stimulated and so increases its attack on the thryoid, hence I get more hypo symptoms. Are you saying that you get hyper symptoms?
I get hypo whenever my thyroid is stimulated, because it increases the antibodies attack. I have tracked it with vit D supplementation. I might be mixing 2 different things with same outcomes though - immune stimulation and thyroid stimulation - which in my case is the same: whenever I stimulate thyroid, immune system overreacts.

The only time my immune system calmed down was upon starting levothyroxine. But it didn't help with hypothyroidism. Then I switched doctor and am now on T4/T3, but keep getting low T3/FT3 and high RT3 from blood tests (I run out of selenium).

So I can't supplement with C, D, A, B12 due to low iodine, but of course can't take iodine while antibodies are high.

Ah salicylate
I have posted all over this board about salicylate intolerance... I consider myself completely recovered from it now. I still get high uric acid symptoms every now and then (in my case one acid raised the other in a feedback loop).

My protocol in a nutshell:
1) test urine pH day and night at home
2) low pH (4.5-5) calls for sodium bicarbonate baths - or tooth paste intolerance as well
3) otherwise take magnesium oxide orally to bowel tolerance for as long as needed - 4-5 weeks for me (bicarbonate transdermally in foot soaks, or even magnesium oxide if not tolerates orally, avoiding the chloride and sulfate forms which increase acidity).
Hmm I use coconut oil and do you use aminos like me?
I stopped tolerating coconut products at first due to salicylate sensitivity, now because they stimulate thyroid o_O
I can't tolerate amino supps because ammonia and/or uric acid build up quickly.

brenda

I get hypo whenever my thyroid is stimulated, because it increases the antibodies attack. I have tracked it with vit D supplementation. I might be mixing 2 different things with same outcomes though - immune stimulation and thyroid stimulation - which in my case is the same: whenever I stimulate thyroid, immune system overreacts.

The only time my immune system calmed down was upon starting levothyroxine. But it didn't help with hypothyroidism. Then I switched doctor and am now on T4/T3, but keep getting low T3/FT3 and high RT3 from blood tests (I run out of selenium).

So I can't supplement with C, D, A, B12 due to low iodine, but of course can't take iodine while antibodies are high.

I have posted all over this board about salicylate intolerance... I consider myself completely recovered from it now. I still get high uric acid symptoms every now and then (in my case one acid raised the other in a feedback loop).

My protocol in a nutshell:
1) test urine pH day and night at home
2) low pH (4.5-5) calls for sodium bicarbonate baths - or tooth paste intolerance as well
3) otherwise take magnesium oxide orally to bowel tolerance for as long as needed - 4-5 weeks for me (bicarbonate transdermally in foot soaks, or even magnesium oxide if not tolerates orally, avoiding the chloride and sulfate forms which increase acidity).

I stopped tolerating coconut products at first due to salicylate sensitivity, now because they stimulate thyroid o_O
I can't tolerate amino supps because ammonia and/or uric acid build up quickly.

I'm pretty sure its the immune system as general inflammation levels go up and my IC flares. Yes I am sure that I got high RT3 and my FT3 is alays low. You sound like you have similar problems to me. I have high uric acid and high histamine. I am already taking sodium bicarb foot baths after reading your posts thanks. But isn't mg oxide hard to absorb? Yes I worked out last night that mag sulfate is not good for me.

brenda

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland

@brenda my thinking is especially slow today...:sluggish:
I buy sodium bicarbonate locally from a supllier that sells raw material for compounding pharmacies. There is a limited number of thing that they sell to the public, among them bicarb, magnesium oxide, etc. all of them food grade. You might find something locally for human public.

Gondwanaland

@brenda I couldn't find anymore the post where you said that you couldn't tolerate anything over 5mcg T3. My dr has just adjusted my current dose.

From current 5mcg T3 + 25mcg T4
to
7.5mcg T3 + 22.5mcg T4

My question to you is how much did you increase qhen you tried more than 5mcg T3?

brenda

@brenda I couldn't find anymore the post where you said that you couldn't tolerate anything over 5mcg T3. My dr has just adjusted my current dose.

From current 5mcg T3 + 25mcg T4
to
7.5mcg T3 + 22.5mcg T4

My question to you is how much did you increase qhen you tried more than 5mcg T3?

I tried small increases, about 2 mcg I think. Then I had to stop it completely. I have some T3 in and hope to be able to start circadian doses but trying to correst deficiencies atm. I still am not on b12 yet.