• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone Tried Tirosint Gelcaps for Hashimoto's?

Carrigon

I'm going to ask my doc to switch me to Tirosint Gelcaps, it's an allergy free capsule form of levothyroxine for Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism. Supposed to not have all these awful side effects I'm getting from the tablets. Has anyone tried Tirosint?

brenda

I am going to have to treat my Hashi`s soon but not with T4 alone as I hear that people with Hashi`s cannot convert T4 to T3. Could that be your problem?

Carrigon

Well, if you can tolerate the new Armour formulation, good luck. It made me sick. I did great on the original Armour, soon as they changed the formulation, hell on earth. They changed the formulation of all the thyroid meds out there. That's why I'm looking to try Tirosint. It's supposed to be free of all the junk in the pills.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I'm with you on the Armour. I thought I was going explode and at the time you really wasn't sure what to blame it on as you wouldn't expect Armour to pull that stunt!

camas

I haven't tried Tirosint Gelcaps, but sure hope it works for you, Carrigon. I've been on the the thyroid merry-go-round for the last year, so know that it's no fun. Was first given Armour which seemed to drain my adrenals, then levothyroxine which had little effect at all.

I'm finally feeling somewhat better on dessicated thyroid from a compounding pharmacy. They use some kind of filler, but I don't seem to have a problem with it. The only downside is that it isn't covered by insurance and runs about $35 a month. Thought I'd just throw that out there as another possible option for anyone else struggling with thyroid med issues.

brenda

I`m not going for Armour as it has gluten in so I am going to try Naturthroid if I have to although I am hoping to put an end to the thyroid attack from my immune system by using rife frequencies to destroy the organisms involved. Hashi`s is an immune problem not a thyroid one. If this does not help then I will try T3 alone in case I have a solvable problem which later allows one to take T4 too. Have you got `Stop The Thyroid Madness`? I have found it invaluable in understanding what goes on with the different treatments.

M

Melodie

Hi all,

I was thinking of trying a thyroid extract if I got desperate (and possibly more stupid!). My thyroid levels are within range but my anti TPO antibodies are 182 kU/L (normal is <35). Do you think it's possible to be having symptoms with just the high anti TPO antibodies?

Carrigon

You can have symptoms no matter what your test results are. That's the problem. Unless you get a doctor who actually has a brain and will treat according to symptoms instead of test results, you usually don't get anywhere.

I still don't understand how they got away with messing with the thyroid medication. Thousands and thousands of people have been negatively effected by it.

M

Melodie

Thanks Carrigon.

I did see on another board the following: "I used Tirosint for two weeks. Mood swings, tremors, and anxiety was terrible. I know you shouldn't notice such a change in two weeks. However, it was the only variable that changed. It was mid priced on my pharm hierarchy. Went back to Armor. "
Also "That much change in two weeks would not necessarily be abnormal when going from a Dessicated product to a synthetic one that provides no T3. You body is in shock from no more T3 that it was getting in the Armour.
Once your on dessicated, going off it is a big deal, literally. "

Not sure where you are as they say they don't ship to Britain or Australia, but I was looking at this pure NZ bovine thyroid tissue capsule at Herbal Healer Academy Inc:
http://www.herbalhealer.com/glandulars.html
I don't know what the difference is between tissue and extract - difference in dosing for example.

Carrigon

My doc gave me a prescrip for Tirosint yesterday, but the pharmacy had to order it, so I probably won't get it till Monday or Wed. And once again, my insurance is refusing to pay for it. The pharmacy accepted the three dollar coupon, but they are still charging me twenty one dollars for it. I heard the company that makes it has a patient prescrip assistance program, so I wrote to them this morning and we'll see where I get with that. But it looks like I'll have to pay out of pocket this week just to try it. It will be worth it, if it gets rid of the side effects I've been getting from the fillers. Tirosint has no weird fillers.

Carrigon

There's no heartburn!!! I took the Tirosint today for the first time, about one thirty in the afternoon. It's now after four pm and there is still no heartburn! Normally, on the levothyroxine tablets, I'd be reaching for every antacid in the house within an hour and I'd still have massive burning up my digestive tract. So far, there is no heartburn on the Tirosint gelcaps. I am so happy, I can't believe it. Let's hope it works as well as it should, though. I will post back after a couple of weeks on it.

It cost less than the pharmacist quoted me on Friday. He had said it was like twenty two dollars, but when I got there today, they only wanted $16.71 for the month's supply of 50mcg, but it is only 28 gelcaps and that might be why it was cheaper. I don't know why they only gave me 28, but my doc gave me plenty of refills. If it works well, it will be very worth it. Right now, it's worth its weight in gold for getting rid of the burning acid on me. I knew the generic tablets were killing me.

Carrigon

Going off ALL thyroid med for awhile. The Tirosint, was unfortunately, not a miracle. In fact, it has given me such severe bodywide muscle pain all over that I have to go off it. We're talking severe muscle pain, like Fibro ten times over. I have a high pain threshold and I can't take this. Flexeril barely helped it and as soon as it wore off, hell on earth with the pain. So, I'm going off the Tirosint. And I'm not taking the generic levothyroxine either because that, too, gives me alot of pain, plus the severe acid reflux. So, I'm just plain not taking any of this for awhile. Maybe I'll go back on the spirutein or try the mistletoe tea. There have to be better ways of treating this. Anything is better than severe pain and or severe heartburn.

TKV

Hashimotos is inflammation of the thyroid it is referred to as Lymphocytic thyroiditis - when your thyroid attactk itself - When you have Hashimotos the pathway for t-4 to break down to t-3 is interrupted
Treat with T-4 and T-4
Synthroid (brand) is T-4
Levothyroxine (generic of synthroid) t-4
Tirosint - Capsule T-4
These are all T-4
Armour thryoid is T-4/T-3 combination
Cytomel is T-3 depending on what your levels show will depend on the doage Lab test (TSH, Free t-3, Free T-4, TPO or thyroglobulin ab)

T-3 is 7 times more potent than T-4 (occasionaly all you will need is Just T-3 not t-4)
T-3 controls your metabolic rate, gives you energy, dry skin etc, To treat hashimots you must have T-3
TSH levels mean nothing when you have hashimotos you have to look at free t-3 and free t-4 to adjust dosage

Carrigon

The doctor's have consistently refused to give me Cytomel because they are too stupid to do it. I did great on the old Armor formulation. But once they changed it, it didn't work anymore and worked the opposite on me. That proves I needed the T3. But they won't give it to me.

I lasted almost a full week off the thyroid med. Started to get tired and brain fogged by the fifth day off it. Today I had the fatigue of death and the brain fog, so I ended up caving in and taking the levothyroxine poison pill. Brain fog cleared up, less fatigue of death. Guess I'm stuck with the poison junk. But I plan on cleaning up my diet of the gluten next month. I'll make a real effort to change from a pasta based diet to a rice based diet and see how that goes.

My doctor said she knew about the gluten allergy destroying the thyroid gland. She was NEVER going to tell me. She was going to let me go on thinking everything was okay with just taking the poison pill that only gives a false TSH reading to make you think you have Hashimoto's under control. The reality is, if you keep eating that gluten, the body will continue to destroy the thyroid gland. And the doctors never tell you that. Not in their best interest to let you reverse Hashimoto's. Then you are no longer a chronic patient who needs all that maintainance and follow up. And eventually, the oh so expensive surgery to remove your thyroid gland. That's modern medicine at work.

brenda

Treatng my Hashi`s

I gave up gluten a while back but it has not stopped the ongoing destruction of my thyroid, well as far as I know, I continued with symptoms. Not wanting to take HC in order to take natrural thyroid hormone I started on a tiny dose of Naturthroid, the amount that did not stress my adrenals, and have been able to build up on the dose.

The `experts` say to start on half a grain, but I went down to just a dusting on my finger tip and I think that my adrenals are healing themselves which is working with the body and not causing it stress. I have some HC ready but think I will not be needing it. I am also losing weight which shows me that my thyroid is improving.

*GG*

The doctor's have consistently refused to give me Cytomel because they are too stupid to do it. I did great on the old Armor formulation. But once they changed it, it didn't work anymore and worked the opposite on me. That proves I needed the T3. But they won't give it to me.

I lasted almost a full week off the thyroid med. Started to get tired and brain fogged by the fifth day off it. Today I had the fatigue of death and the brain fog, so I ended up caving in and taking the levothyroxine poison pill. Brain fog cleared up, less fatigue of death. Guess I'm stuck with the poison junk. But I plan on cleaning up my diet of the gluten next month. I'll make a real effort to change from a pasta based diet to a rice based diet and see how that goes.

My doctor said she knew about the gluten allergy destroying the thyroid gland. She was NEVER going to tell me. She was going to let me go on thinking everything was okay with just taking the poison pill that only gives a false TSH reading to make you think you have Hashimoto's under control. The reality is, if you keep eating that gluten, the body will continue to destroy the thyroid gland. And the doctors never tell you that. Not in their best interest to let you reverse Hashimoto's. Then you are no longer a chronic patient who needs all that maintainance and follow up. And eventually, the oh so expensive surgery to remove your thyroid gland. That's modern medicine at work.

So by Armour, Do you mean Armour Thyroid? How about Thyroid Extract? I get this compounded, when Armour Thyroid was having supply issues I was switched to Thyroid Extract. I am only a little bit Hypo, probably don't even need it, but with my/our condition. 1 of my docs figured it would not hurt.

FYI

Treatng my Hashi`s

I gave up gluten a while back but it has not stopped the ongoing destruction of my thyroid, well as far as I know, I continued with symptoms. Not wanting to take HC in order to take natrural thyroid hormone I started on a tiny dose of Naturthroid, the amount that did not stress my adrenals, and have been able to build up on the dose.

The `experts` say to start on half a grain, but I went down to just a dusting on my finger tip and I think that my adrenals are healing themselves which is working with the body and not causing it stress. I have some HC ready but think I will not be needing it. I am also losing weight which shows me that my thyroid is improving.

What is HC?

brenda

has your thyroid hormone replacement been going smoothly?

@Gondwanaland Wow, four and half years ago! I ran into problems ie adrenal stress, with jittery feelings inside and feeling shaky. I had already tried glandulars but they have adrenaline in, and no good, so I tried pregnenolone but no help so I went onto T3 alone but still not good as soon as I started to raise the dose aboove 5 mcg. So now I see the only way is to use the circadian method but first must build up my system and nutrient levels which is a problem as I am intolerant to so much especially Vit D and b12 which I am low in.

I have also kicked dairy and sugar so hopefully that will help my Hashi's