• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone Tried NADH for Energy?

Resting

Thanks for your input GlenP and Mr. Kite. I would rather know about the negatives too than go in thinking there weren't many.

oerganix
NADH, a type of B Vitamin, a coenzyme that the original study said some bodies don't create out of the B3/Niacin in their diet or supplements. It is important in the production of ATP, cell energy, from glucose in the liver.

According to Wikipedia a Niacin deficiency can lead to:"Common psychiatric symptoms of niacin deficiency include irritability, poor concentration, anxiety, fatigue, restlessness, apathy, and depression. Mild niacin deficiency has been shown to slow metabolism, leading to cold intolerance."

I am very allergic to niacin, so I wonder if that would be a problem with NADH. I did remember reading that it was a B3 link but am just now realizing if I was allergic to the niacin supplementation than I could also have an adverse reaction to NADH. Hmm? What to do? Anyone have a coin to flip? :D
Thanks for the info, Oerganix!

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
hi, I have just order a product which says its better absorbed then nadh, its called nad. it says its not altered by the acids in the stomach, what doesnt make sense is its subligual so u would think that stomach acid wouldnt be a problem. Anyway im going to give it a try and see how it go's, its now brand from iherb http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-NAD-25-mg-60-Lozenges/711?at=0 , i have had some response from normal nadh 20mg sublingual, like a caffeine hit i suppose. Anyone else tried this version? be interested to know how u went. The reviews on iherb were very positive but suppose there biast too, lol.

cheers!!!

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
NADH is pretty good. I get energy from Carnetine and CoQ10. You do need to start with a very small amount at first. I haven't used it in a while.

I took NADH along with CoQ and Sam-E and felt very wired, almost too energetic. I recently came across this article that links NADH depletion to Cytopathic hypoxia (deficient cellular respiration), lowering ATP and energy production. A low NADH state was caused by proinflammatory cytokines, oxidative stress. Maybe this is one of the mechanisms of CFS.

http://ccforum.com/content/cc1824

Water! I promise. Start drinking about 16 ounces of water 3 times a day and you'll feel the difference in a day or two. Also, go to walmart/walgreens/health food store etc.. and get a good vitamin B-complex. Vitamin B gives you energy too. You'll start to feel the effects of the vitamin B within a week. The energy drinks are not the way to go, they will mess up your heart and your body will get used to them even those 4 and 5 hour one's have the vitamins in them. Those one's have the vitamins but they also have sugar; caffeine; and ginsing in them and all 3 of those in high doses are horrible for you and will make you feel crappy later. The guarana is not the best either. I've tried them all, I really have.
grocery coupons
Harddisk Recovery

lancelot

On paper, NADH and D-ribose sounds good, but they did not help in the very least with my disabling fatigue or any other symptoms of ME/CFS. Sorry, but green tea, coQ10, l-carnitine, nadh, d-ribose, nac, alpha lipoic, nor whey isolate will treat or cure ME/CFS. This disabling disease caused by a retrovirus is too severe and too complicated to be solved by OTC supplements, GET, or CBT.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
hi lancelot,
I partly agree with you but i dont think people would think these things are going to cure them, i think most are after some help from them or like me i use most supplements for general health and alot of those things mentioned are good antioxidants that can help with general health. Personally i take nac to help counteract any liver stress from medications i take, nac is used in hospitals as an antidote for paracetamol/tylenol overdoses and works buy raising the livers glutathione levels which protect it from damage. NAC is given iv but i have read studies where oral doses are just as effective. Sometimes its not just one thing but the sum of them that can help(not cure). Even antiretrovirals arent a cure as they will be needed to be taken forever to maintain an effect, supplements could then potentially protect the body from the toxic affect of drugs through antioxidant affect. I suppose alot comes down to personal expectations.

cheers!!!

Resting

I agree. None of the supplements are meant to cure you but instead to support the body so it can have the best odds of healing itself. This is what happened to me before. I got significantly better but (not being prperly dx at the time) I over did things significantly and I crashed long and hard. The way I see it, If I could get better (not cured but better than bed-bound) once it is possible to do it again.
Chitra33 said:
Water! I promise. Start drinking about 16 ounces of water 3 times a day and you'll feel the difference in a day or two. Also, go to walmart/walgreens/health food store etc.. and get a good vitamin B-complex. Vitamin B gives you energy too. You'll start to feel the effects of the vitamin B within a week. The energy drinks are not the way to go, they will mess up your heart and your body will get used to them even those 4 and 5 hour one's have the vitamins in them. Those one's have the vitamins but they also have sugar; caffeine; and ginsing in them and all 3 of those in high doses are horrible for you and will make you feel crappy later. The guarana is not the best either. I've tried them all, I really have.
grocery coupons
Harddisk Recovery

Thank you Chitra33! I have learned that my body was not metabolizing water very well (orally) so I did an IV with great success. Of course it is not practical so my doctor has mimicked it using sea salt (which, unlike table salt, will not raise blood pressure). It has been very successful. I agree the energy drinks might give a person an immediate boost but will cause a greater crash in the long run.

Doug said:
I took NADH along with CoQ and Sam-E and felt very wired, almost too energetic. I recently came across this article that links NADH depletion to Cytopathic hypoxia (deficient cellular respiration), lowering ATP and energy production. A low NADH state was caused by proinflammatory cytokines, oxidative stress. Maybe this is one of the mechanisms of CFS.

http://ccforum.com/content/cc1824
Thanks for the link, Doug! I cannot take
CoQ10 either. It causes my mind to race. My doctor has made progress in taking the necessary step to get me to a point in the future where I will be able to take it. Prior to this I ran into a brick wall every time I tried to take certain mitochondrial supplements. I never knew how many steps there could be until I went to a doctor who knew this information inside and out. The mitochondria is the "oil refinery" that makes the "gasoline" for the ATP. So it needs to be addressed first (at least in my case). This is such a complicated illness. Makes me wish I had a molecular science degree!

3CFIDS@ourhouse

still me
NADH did improve energy for a while, then I crashed from being even more wired. If Dr. Cheney is correct in his belief that there is serious oxygen toxicity in CFS, producing more energy is bad for us, and fatigue keeps us from doing things that make us sicker. My own experience tells me he's right.

Resting

NADH did improve energy for a while, then I crashed from being even more wired. If Dr. Cheney is correct in his belief that there is serious oxygen toxicity in CFS, producing more energy is bad for us, and fatigue keeps us from doing things that make us sicker. My own experience tells me he's right.

I had heard about Cheney's theory too. I initially gave it more consideration but have since changed my mind since I have made gains with sea salt which provides me with more energy. I am doing better overall. Also if I breathe deeply while doing very basic, lying-down-only exercises (since I cannot stand while exercising) I am also doing better using that technique. This deep breathing better oxygenates the blood. Of course everyone seems to have a different response to just about everything but in my own experience I have disproved his theory. Each person needs to do what works best for them, though.

Marg

I guess it is different for everyone, I was told to take 10mg twice a day. I took one and thought I would fly, it gave me the wrong kind of energy. I got some at a lower dose and the same thing. Hmm, I have some think I will try again. It was quite a few years ago and I was much sicker when I tried it. I will check for experation date, I may have had them too long.

Resting

I guess it is different for everyone, I was told to take 10mg twice a day. I took one and thought I would fly, it gave me the wrong kind of energy. I got some at a lower dose and the same thing. Hmm, I have some think I will try again. It was quite a few years ago and I was much sicker when I tried it. I will check for experation date, I may have had them too long.

I'm sorry you lost me on that. What were you told to take 10mgs of 2x/day, Marg?

Marg

I decided to leave it alone. I am taking Ubiquino,l Acetyl L Carnitine. I have started Ribrose at small dose and working up. I have learned the hard way to go slowly, no matter what it is. I have raised the methalation protocols after a year and seem to be fine. My gluthatione was in the lowest of the good range after a whole year. So slow and easy is the way to go. A very hard thing for people lke us. LOL

I believe that 2011 will be out year!

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Slow is good. I see my progress like a zig zag stitch from a sewing machine. Going up and down, but always forward!

Here's to a great 2011!

My birthday is very soon. This time last year I was so much worse, POTS. My husband wheeled me into a gorgeous restaurant for my B-day. I barely made it and we had to leave quickly. The maitre'd (sp) was so sweet, he helps us get the car from the valet. Had to leave fast.

Things are better now!