• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone Tried NADH for Energy?

Resting

Someone just recommended I try NADH for increased energy. They claim that it helped them but I don't know the specifics of their illness (if it is even truly CFS). I am not familiar with this supplement and was wondering if anyone knows if it is effective and safe???

Here is a brief description from the website:
NADH - An Essential Coenzyme

NADH is a naturally occurring coenzyme that is necessary for the production of energy in each of our 100 trillion cells. Found in the highest concentrations in the cell's mitochondria, this essential nutrient and potent antioxidant facilitates the production of cellular energy in the form of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) – and plays a role in thousands of chemical reactions that occur in the body. Without NADH, energy production is severely impaired.

Any information about this product would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Link to website: http://www.prohealth.com/shop/product.cfm.product_code/PH310

Lesley

Dr. Lapp recommended NADH for me. It was something that he had found helped most people. I started B-12 injections and became more focused on pacing at the same time, so I can't say for sure that it helped, but I definitely felt better. I think it's worth a try.

Also, he said it stops being helpful after a while and had me stop it periodically to see if it made a difference.

Here's an article about his supplement recommendations: http://www.cfidsselfhelp.org/library/dr-lapp’s-recommedations-supplements

ETA: I took 10 mg.

Resting

Thanks Lesley!

I had seen Dr. Lapp (about 2 years ago) but he didn't mention the NADH. I am what he labeled as a very severely ill patient. He gave me a poor prognosis. Since the link you included (thank you for that) states that he only gives the NADH to his sickest patients, then it would be appropriate for me to try. The cost seems reasonable enough to give it a go.

Thank you for the information, link, and also for the dosing amount. Much appreciated!

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Resting - I am also a patient of Dr. Lapps and tried it for a couple of months. I had some problems with increase in heart rate but I'm not sure if it was drug or illness related. I stopped it and hadn't really experienced a benefit, I was taking 20 mg.

He told me that it takes awhile (about 3 months) to start feeling the difference, so hang in there if you start it!

Kristina

Resting

Thanks Kristina!

That is really good to know. I have tachycardia (fast heart beat) so maybe I should reconsider trying it or start with a really small dose initially.

Thanks that is helpful information!

Rita

Thanks Kristina!

That is really good to know. I have tachycardia (fast heart beat) so maybe I should reconsider trying it or start with a really small dose initially.

Thanks that is helpful information!

This is a very recent spanish study of Nadh.

Revista Clnica Espaola
Nicotinamida adenina dinucletido (NADH) en pacientes con sndrome de fatiga crnica

viernes, 14 may 2010

Por J. Alegre a, J.M. Ross b, C. Javierre c, A. Ruiz-Baqus d, M.J. Segundo e, T. Fernndez de Sevilla a

a Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital Vall d’Hebrn, Barcelona, Espaa
b Instituto de Biometra Aplicada, Barcelona, Espaa
c Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Barcelona, Barcelona, Espaa
d Topping, Campus UAB, Barcelona, Espaa
e Laboratorios Vitae, Sant Cugat del Valls, Barcelona, Espaa

Antecedentes

La nicotinamida adenina dinucletido (NADH) podra estar deplecionada en el sndrome de fatiga crnica. El objetivo del estudio fue evaluar la eficacia de la suplementacin con NADH en estos pacientes.

Material y mtodos

Se realiz un ensayo clnico, doble ciego, controlado con placebo de 3 meses de duracin. Los pacientes fueron randomizados a NADH oral 20mg o placebo durante los 2 primeros meses. Se evalu la intensidad de la fatiga, estado funcional, estado de nimo, impacto funcional de la fatiga, calidad de vida, calidad del sueo, capacidad al ejercicio y reserva funcional, as como la opinin del investigador y pacientes sobre la eficacia de la intervencin, antes y a los 30, 60 y 90 das del inicio del tratamiento. En la visita basal y a los 60 das (ltimo da de tratamiento doble ciego) se realiz una prueba de esfuerzo.

Resultados

Se incluyeron 86 enfermos de los cuales 77 concluyeron el estudio (edad media, 47 aos; 72 mujeres). No se hallaron diferencias significativas en la mayora de las variables estudiadas al finalizar el estudio. La administracin de NADH se asoci a una disminucin de estado de ansiedad de −1,0 puntos (p<0,05) y de −0,2 puntos (p=NS) en el grupo asignado a placebo. La frecuencia cardiaca mxima tras la prueba de esfuerzo disminuy una media de −8,1l/min (p<0,05) en el grupo NADH y ascendi +1,7l/min en el grupo placebo (p=0,73). No se hallaron diferencias en la percepcin de eficacia con NADH y placebo, por parte del investigador y pacientes.

Conclusiones

La administracin de NADH oral se asoci a una disminucin de la ansiedad y de la frecuencia cardiaca mxima, tras una prueba de esfuerzo, en los pacientes con sndrome de fatiga crnica. Por el contrario, este tratamiento no modific otras variables clnicas y el estado funcional global.

Rev Clin Esp.2010; 210 :284-8

Palabras clave: Sndrome de fatiga crnica. NADH. Ensayo clnico.

Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH) in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome

viernes, 14 may 2010

Background

Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH) may be depleted in chronic fatigue syndrome (SFC). The purpose of the study was to evaluate the efficacy of supplementation with NADH in these patients.

Results

A total of 86 patients, 77 of whom completed the study (mean age, 47 years, 72 women) were enrolled. No significant differences were found in most of the variable studied at the end of the study. Administration of NADH was associated to a decrease in anxiety condition of −1.0 points (p<0.05) and of −0.2 points (p=NS) in the placebo assigned group. Maximum heart rate after the stress test decreased a mean of −8.1l/min (p<0.05) in the NADH group and increased by +1.7l/min in the placebo group (p=0.73). No differences were found in the perception of efficacy with NADH and placebo, by the investigator and patients.

Conclusions

Administration of oral NADH was associated to a decrease in anxiety and maximum heart rate, after a stress test in patients with CFS. On the contrary, this treatment did not modify other clinical variables and the global functional performance.

Rev Clin Esp.2010; 210 :284-8

Keywords: Chronic fatigue syndrome. NADH. Clinical trial.

I tried NADH a couple years ago for several months. I think I took 10 mg. a day. I didn't notice any difference at all; but everyone's body is different and responds differently.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Thanks for the study info - I've never seen any studies on it before. Hmmm..interesting that max heart rate decreased, that would be terrific actually. If I understand my spanish correctly, it looks like they only did the study 3 months, that may not have been quite long enough. I told Dr. Black about the heart rate issue and she said that I should only be taking 10 mg, I didn't go back and try it on a lower dose though.

I also have mitral valve prolaspe and have problems with palpilations, so I can't say for sure that the NADH was the cause.

Kristina

camas

NADH is one of the few supplements that has worked consistently for me. It improves my energy levels only slightly, but really helps my cognitive skills. I take a 10 mg sublingual in the morning before eating.

Sherby

Sherby
NADH is one of the few supplements that has worked consistently for me. It improves my energy levels only slightly, but really helps my cognitive skills. I take a 10 mg sublingual in the morning before eating.

VERY IMPORTANT that you must take them on an empty stomach with water about an hour before food , as it will only work if the pills pass through the stomach and dissolve in your intestine. Waste of time if they dissolve in the stomach. Hope that helps

They worked wonders for me in improving energy levels, and managed to get back to part time work, But i over worked trying to get my life back in order and i relapsed back, now been kept on the lowest level of benefit for the last four years and cannot afford them. But i would recommend them two anyone with problems with lack of energy.

rebecca1995

Apple, anyone?
Resting,

I noticed an immediate increase in cognitive clarity and energy when I started 10 mg NADH. Over time the effect lessened, but I've continued taking it for several years because my energy level drops if I quit.

I take it on an empty stomach in the a.m, 1/2 hr before eating. (Perhaps an hour beore eating would be better, not sure.)

Resting

Conclusions

Administration of oral NADH was associated to a decrease in anxiety and maximum heart rate, after a stress test in patients with CFS. On the contrary, this treatment did not modify other clinical variables and the global functional performance

That is interesting. So it helps tachycardia. Good news! Thank you for posting that study and for including some English since I no comprende Espagnol :D

Thanks again, Rita!

Resting

Thanks for your reply. GIR!

The more feedback I receive helps me to make a well informed decision. So thank you!

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
http://www.iherb.com/Co-E1-mojo-Plus-Enada-20-mg-30-Tablets/9292?at=0
I have used this brand 20mg sublingual tablets which are dissolved under your tongue, no need to worry about taking before food etc as its absorbed straight into the system . I found it had some good effects on energy but mainly cognitive energy, nothing out of the box but still worth it. I found it no more effective taking it regularly versus on a as needs basis. Gave me a 4-6hr lift. When in a crash though nothing works though, lol.
I suggest try it and see how u go.

cheers!!

camas

I second the vote for sublingual tablets. They are easier to use, and have been a little more effective for me.

Resting

Thank you to Camas, Sherby, Rebecca1995, and Heapsreal! (I hope I didn't forget anyone--If I did, appologies, it's the brain fog. :rolleyes: )

You all have provided me with very useful information. It sounds like more of those that replied had a positive experience than didn't. Even if it was mental clarity that was helped more so, I could use a whole lot of help with cognition too. Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I feel better informed and less like I am delving into the unknown.

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
I hate to post something negative but perhaps others experienced it also. I had been sleeping excessively and tried NADH - I think it was about 6 weeks, when I develped severe sleep probs and got no or up to 2 hours of sleep at night. I stopped the NADH and since that time have had to take sleep pills every night. I don't know it it was the NADH or just coincidental. I took the aor NADH ULTRA 10mg

glen

jeffrez

I hate to post something negative but perhaps others experienced it also. I had been sleeping excessively and tried NADH - I think it was about 6 weeks, when I develped severe sleep probs and got no or up to 2 hours of sleep at night. I stopped the NADH and since that time have had to take sleep pills every night. I don't know it it was the NADH or just coincidental. I took the aor NADH ULTRA 10mg

glen

I've had good and bad effects from NADH, too. I think it can be a double-edged sword metabolically, like Co Q-10 and how Dr. Cheney doesn't recommend Co Q-10 anymore. Even though it can increase cell energy metabolism, if the other cell structures can't handle it, I think maybe it could overload them and cause more trouble. I noticed the last time I took NADH after developing immune CFS last year that it made my heart function noticeably weaken, like CHF symptoms. It took a couple days off the NADH to bounce back. I don't know whether that's a cell energy thing or a neurotransmitter or related thing, but at the time I suspected cell energy because of how it took a few days to recover. Otoh, I also had some bad ADD from NADH before that, so it's possible it's transmitter related or something else entirely. It's interesting to me that that study someone posted cited lowered heart rate and lowered anxiety effects from it.

oerganix

I read about NADH a long time ago, in a placebo controlled study of CFS sufferers who reported good results from using it. I tried it and have been using it for years. I take the 10mg tab, usually, but the last time I bought it, the sublingual was on sale, much cheaper, so I bought that instead. I had been keeping a few sublinguals to take before physical activity, such as walking, in addition to my usual morning dose. I'm finding this easier to use, but I'm thinking maybe the other way was more effective...not sure.

The original directions for use said to take the tab at least 20 minutes before eating and, if possible, be active or at least standing up, for that 20 minutes, to get it to circulate and get to the muscles, which was what the study was about....physical energy levels. I'd never heard of it being used to change heart rate or treat anxiety. The study also said improvements continued for at least 6 weeks before leveling off somewhat and then continued to rise slightly for another 5-6 months.

NADH, a type of B Vitamin, a coenzyme that the original study said some bodies don't create out of the B3/Niacin in their diet or supplements. It is important in the production of ATP, cell energy, from glucose in the liver.

According to Wikipedia a Niacin deficiency can lead to:"Common psychiatric symptoms of niacin deficiency include irritability, poor concentration, anxiety, fatigue, restlessness, apathy, and depression. Mild niacin deficiency has been shown to slow metabolism, leading to cold intolerance."

NADH is the only thing I have found that helps me with energy. There is more info here: http://www.nadh.com/
I also buy mine online there...good supportive people and money back guarantee.