• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone tried Glycyrrhizin

Frickly

I have not been feeling good and have alot of numbness, fever, pain, rashes and skin very hot to the touch. My doctor said my tests show that my EBV is still active and not improving so she is putting me on an injection of "Glycyron plus" to be given weekly along with my glutithione/ATP injection.

It is described as Glycyrrhizin-a potent anti-viral and immune builder. In addition, they have cysteine, an immune builder and are also useful in detoxification. They also have L-Glycine, a crucial amino acid in cellular health. These are useful in patients with CFS and Fibro, auto-immune problems and chronic infections.

Anyone tried this?

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hi Frickly--

Interesting... glycyrrhizin is from licorice, which I have used for a long time now to help boost my adrenals. I just read that it's used in Japan to treat Hepatitis B and is a good anti-viral. I have studied herbs (esp. Chinese herbs) but didn't know this. Thanks for the heads up.

In my case the only natural remedy that has been potent enough to treat viral infections is Lauricidin. It's lauric acid derived from coconut.

margib

I drink Licorice Root tea & chew it daily for my adrenals. When i was first sick w/ sore throats (early 90's, y'all), i would sleep w/ a large chunk in my mouth & wake up feeling better. i've been a believer ever since. i know some people get a Meyer's Cocktail, w/ B vitamins, C, & Glycerrhizic Acid.

Frickly

Thanks for replys

I just looked at the needle and realized it is just as big as my glutithione/ATP needle.:cool:

Victoria

Interesting... glycyrrhizin is from licorice

Dreambirdie,

I thought the name was familiar & couldn't remember where I knew it from - Liquorice, of course. Sounds like you know heaps more than I do about herbal medicine.

Glad you're around.

I tried a tincture of Ashwaghanda which I believe had liquorice in the tincture (last year). The tincture wasn't cheap, so I only took the one 10day course. I was going through my "experimental" stage.

The first 3 days, my energy went throught the roof, and then disappointingly went down again. It was absolutely amazing (but decided it was too expensive to keep up continuously).

But since I'm trying a very expensive CoEnzyme Q10 (for heart) at the moment, I suppose cost is balanced by desired effect.

Maybe I should have kept up the Ashwaghanda tincture after all (I believe Jody takes, or took, Ashwaghanda?).

Will have to look into the liquorice.

Victoria :)

Frickly

Sara

Thanks for the feedback. My husband gave me my injection last night. I got out of bed this morning and leaned down to pick up a shirt and my neck totally went out. I have been in terrible pain all day and can barely lift or move my head.:mad: I have always had alot of pain in my neck area due to the CFS and this has increased in the last couple of weeks. I wonder if a virus can hang out in one particular part of the body. I know I have read that many other people with CFS have this pain in the back of the neck. Anyway.....I might have just moved wrong and pulled something but can't help but wonder if it has something to do with this injection.

cfs since 1998

My husband gave me my injection last night. I got out of bed this morning and leaned down to pick up a shirt and my neck totally went out. I have been in terrible pain all day and can barely lift or move my head.:mad: I have always had alot of pain in my neck area due to the CFS and this has increased in the last couple of weeks. I wonder if a virus can hang out in one particular part of the body. I know I have read that many other people with CFS have this pain in the back of the neck. Anyway.....I might have just moved wrong and pulled something but can't help but wonder if it has something to do with this injection.

I think neck pain can be related to CFS and viruses in particular. Several people on Valcyte have reported having neck and spine pain during the first several months.

I've had this experience too on some of the supplements I'm taking. For the first month or two on olive leaf extract I had severe pain in the back of my neck along with unusual headaches and other symptoms. It felt like all kinds of joints were popping in and out of place. Also I'm taking inosine as per a pulsing protocol where you take it on alternating high and low doses on weekdays only, and you take it for 8 weeks followed by a 4 week break before starting again. Anyway the first "round" caused pain in the back of my neck as well as arm and leg pain for the first few weeks. On the second "round", on about the third day, I woke up with a severe crick in my neck and couldn't turn my head or tilt it back. It's been a month now and it's mostly better but not completely. This has never happened to me before.

I wasn't aware that you could get glycerrhizin injections. I know glyc. increases cortisol so I've been wary of using it for antiviral purpose.

Jody

Might want to look into de-glycyrrhinized licorice. My naturopath was very definite that it should be de-glycyrrhinized when she put it in a tincture for me. Which helped me considerably by the way.

Sorry I don't know anything more than that on the subject.

Other than men shouldn't use it. Bad hormonally for them apparently.

Frickly

cfs since 1998

I think neck pain can be related to CFS and viruses in particular. Several people on Valcyte have reported having neck and spine pain during the first several months.

I've had this experience too on some of the supplements I'm taking. For the first month or two on olive leaf extract I had severe pain in the back of my neck along with unusual headaches and other symptoms. It felt like all kinds of joints were popping in and out of place. Also I'm taking inosine as per a pulsing protocol where you take it on alternating high and low doses on weekdays only, and you take it for 8 weeks followed by a 4 week break before starting again. Anyway the first "round" caused pain in the back of my neck as well as arm and leg pain for the first few weeks. On the second "round", on about the third day, I woke up with a severe crick in my neck and couldn't turn my head or tilt it back. It's been a month now and it's mostly better but not completely. This has never happened to me before.

I wasn't aware that you could get glycerrhizin injections. I know glyc. increases cortisol so I've been wary of using it for antiviral purpose.

That's very interesting. I will have to wait and see if it gets better or worse after my next injection. I have never heard of glycerrhizin at all so this is all new to me. My doctor calls it Glycyron plus. Jody, I have read about de-glycyrrhinized licorice and will have to ask my doctor about this on my next visit. Thanks you!

sarahg

Admin Assistant
The tricky thing is that the glycyrrhizin is the component of licorice that has the strongest antiviral and immune modulating properties. DGL will not do the same thing, though it may certainly do something. Glycyrrhizin can do nasty things to your digestive system and maybe kindeys and liver. (I can't remember off the top of my head). At least some of the problem with that is circumvented by injection and or IV of the active component.

I too get nasty headaches radiating from the top of my spine whenever I end up doing any virus killing, it seems.

margib

me, too, sarahg. i'm taking a homeopathic that gives me the spinal ache (leave out the head part, the cerebral spinal stuff is what's effected!), & once when i took Fluconazole, it was so bad i was throwing up. hopefully something died & left the building!!! :)

cfs since 1998

Here is a very interesting study and a commentary article referring to it:

Research Article: Glycyrrhizic acid alters Kaposi sarcoma–associated herpesvirus latency, triggering p53-mediated apoptosis in transformed B lymphocytes
Abstract (Excerpt) said:
Like other herpesviruses, KSHV becomes latent in the infected cells, expressing only a few genes that are essential for the establishment and maintenance of its latency and for the survival of the infected cells. Inhibiting the expression of these latent genes should lead to eradication of herpesvirus infection. All currently available drugs are ineffective against latent infection. Here we show, for the first time to our knowledge, that latent infection with KSHV in B lymphocytes can be terminated by glycyrrhizic acid (GA), a triterpenoid compound earlier shown to inhibit the lytic replication of other herpesviruses. We demonstrate that GA disrupts latent KSHV infection by downregulating the expression of latency-associated nuclear antigen (LANA) and upregulating the expression of viral cyclin and selectively induces cell death of KSHV-infected cells.

Commentary: Licking latency with licorice
Abstract said:
Numerous viruses cause latent infections in humans, and reactivation often results in pain and suffering. While vaccines for several of these viruses are available or currently being studied in clinical trials, and antiviral therapies have been successful in preventing or treating active infection, therapy to eradicate latent infection has lagged behind. A new study reported in this issue of the JCI shows that treatment of cells latently infected with Kaposi sarcoma–associated herpesvirus (KSHV) with glycyrrhizic acid, a component of licorice, reduces synthesis of a viral latency protein and induces apoptosis of infected cells. This finding suggests a novel way to interrupt latency.

Frickly

Still have neck pain....

My neck is still hurting....I took my third injection last night and woke up this morning with even worse pain. I am certain it is the antiviral. I guess this virus set up camp in my spinal area. I am envisioning this antiviral killing it off. Hopefully this will lead to an improvement of my CFS symptoms. Unfortunatly, I can't sleep and am in pain all the time.

kolowesi

frickly and all spinal pain

Though I can't always afford it, lymphatic drainage is very helpful for the spine/upper back pain.

Though the spine pain is probably viral, or cytokine-related, there are two big lymph ducts on either side. Many of us have slow-moving lymph, possibly because HHV-6a has been shown to attack the germinal centers of the lymph nodes (Dr. Konstance Knox research).

I got these massages every two weeks when I was first on valcyte and the pain was so bad. They really helped.

When I can't afford a massage, I use one of those neck pillows you heat in the microwave. It has lavender in it. This helps somewhat. I also try to do my own lymph drainage when I bathe, but I can't reach the upper back.

Frickly I hope you get past this soon! I'm thinking it's a good sign.

Kelly

Frickly

Fyi

I wanted to report back on my progress with the glycyrrhizin injections. My neck pain got so bad I finally went to the doc and got anti inflammitories and muscle relaxers. This immediatly helped and my neck started to feel better. Still don't know if it was the injections but have a feeling it was as my neck would start to feel better, I would get another injection and then back down hill.

My energy level has been increasing over the last month. Yesterday, I got up at 6:30 am and made a silk arrangement for my sisters office, finished making Thanksgiving dinner and cleaned the house.

The day before I went shopping with my sister for most of the day, made dinner for kids and then made dressing, green been cassarole, cookies and cake for Thanksgiving.

I am beyond excited. I don't have this kind of energy on my best days and this kind of activity would put me in bed in the fetal position.

Anyway...I know there are no guarantees. Will I crash and burn in a month...two months. I will just have to enjoy the moment but definitely recommend these injections for those of you with chronic EBV.

Take care,

cfs since 1998

I wanted to report back on my progress with the glycyrrhizin injections. My neck pain got so bad I finally went to the doc and got anti inflammitories and muscle relaxers. This immediatly helped and my neck started to feel better. Still don't know if it was the injections but have a feeling it was as my neck would start to feel better, I would get another injection and then back down hill.

My energy level has been increasing over the last month...

I am beyond excited. I don't have this kind of energy on my best days and this kind of activity would put me in bed in the fetal position.

Anyway...I know there are no guarantees. Will I crash and burn in a month...two months. I will just have to enjoy the moment but definitely recommend these injections for those of you with chronic EBV.

Thanks for reporting back! Your personal experience combined with the research I posted earlier makes this treatment sound quite promising. I do believe neck pain is due to viral dieoff. Is the neck pain a little less bad each time you get an injection? If so that might be a sign your viral load is being reduced.

Can I ask where these injections can be obtained; is this a regular MD giving you these injections or is it a naturopathic doctor, etc? I would be surprised if many MDs have even heard of it.

Frickly

CFS since 1998

I am not sure if the pain was less with each injection as it was only three weeks that I went without pain meds. It did start to get better towards the end of the week and then the next morning after my injection it would intensify again. I am taking anti inflammatories and muscle relaxers now that seem to have helped.

I get my injections from Dr. Salvato in Houston. She is an internist who specializes in CFS/GWI and HIV/Aids. It is called Glycyron plus but I am unsure where else it can be obtained. I will ask her at my next doctors appointment.

Twizzlers Black Licorice

One of the easiest ways to see if gylc will help you is to eat half a bag of black licorice. Hershey's doesn't take the active ingredient out like some companies do, which is both good and bad.

You'll notice a little cramping after in the hands and legs, depending on your weight, because of the serum potassium fluctuation. It's a really potent drug!

C

Cloud

For several years I used it for sub clinical adrenal insufficiency. It worked much better than Cortisol supplementation and supported rather than replaced the adrenal function. It's also great for GI function purposes. Watch your blood pressure and try to not take it daily beyond a week at a time without a few days break. It can cause HTN (Hypertension)