• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone tested for Adenovirus?

sometexan84

Has anyone tested for adenovirus?

If so, what were the results?

This is something I have yet to test for. But adenovirus comes up a lot for me when I'm researching my symptoms and conditions.

Hip

I've never come across adenovirus being connected to ME/CFS, either in studies, or from personal anecdotal accounts.

Interestingly though, adenovirus 36 has been linked to obesity, and some researchers suggest adenovirus 36 might be a factor in the global obesity epidemic that began in the 1980s.

When you experimentally infect mice with adenovirus 36, they become obese. And in humans, adenovirus 36 is found in 30% of obese people, but only in 11% of non-obese people.

sometexan84

When you experimentally infect mice
Which I am prone to do...

I've never come across adenovirus being connected to ME/CFS, either in studies, or from personal anecdotal accounts.
Me neither, which is why I've been hesitant to mention it before, or consider it.

My (symptoms/conditions) Timeline spreadsheet I've been working on for so long is still incomplete. I want to map out when I got which infection, what led to what, etc.

Though, I am fairly confident that my enterovirus led to full-blown ME/CFS...
1604255382513.png

But there are still question marks. I've had multiple issues pointing to possible Adenovirus....

Conjunctivitis in Right Eye
Adenovirus is #1 cause

5+ days nasal mucosa hyperemia, pharynx erythema, cough, congestion
^^Can be adenovirus, EBV, Enterovirus, HSV

Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Adenovirus, EBV, Streptococcus, enterovirus

Sinusitis
Adenovirus, enterovirus, others

Hashimoto's
Adenovirus has been seen in Hashimoto's as well

sometexan84

By the way, anyone interested in how different viruses can cause Hashimoto's Thyroiditis may find the following review interesting:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/1743-422X-6-5
That's a good one. I need to revisit this, thx!

Here's some on specific infections with case/control:
One Ukrainian immunologist tests everyone for adenovirus in blood (among other viruses), but I think he does it just based on his personal interest to see in what percentage of his patents it's present, I tested negative.
Do you know of any research he's published? I'd be interested to see.

I'm getting Adenovirus tested VERY soon!