• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone on beta glucans/immiflex?

Mia

Hi - I am thinking of trying this as part of my protocol:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ImmiFlex-Beta-Glucan/167169054614?v=info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta-glucan

Anyone have any solid positive experience with this type of thing? I don't have many "immune"ish symptoms, but have perhaps experienced a few recently and in any case I seem to have reached a plateau in improvement. I have ordered some immiflex, and shall try it - would be really interested to hear about people's experiences.

I thought I would try this before trying oxymatrine - I have some from my dr, but it sounds like there are going to be side effects certainly initially (and have also previously had seizures), and this seems less potentially worsening.

Chris

I don't know much about ImmiFlex, but mushroom derived beta glucans fractions play a large part in both AOR's Immune Support and Aidan's Stem-Kine, which also includes Vit D. I have been taking both with good though not yet spectacular results; Stem-Kine is sold as a stem cell mobilizer, and there is some research showing that beta glucans mushroom preparations do stimulate stem cell mobilization; I am still exploring the relationship between immune modulation and stem cell mobilization. I think ImmiFlex, like Stem-Kine, includes D 3. Chris

Mia

Thanks, Chris - do you mind telling me - what kinds of symptoms did it help you with? Thanks. :) I think I am going to try this anyway, but curious as to what to expect.

cfs since 1998

I've been on Transfer Point beta glucan now and was on NOW brand before that. I'm also on AHCC which has alpha and beta glucans. I am not sure if it's doing anything--I think it takes a long time to work. If I were starting over I would have an NK-cell activity test done, or at least some standard basic WBC councts, before I started and periodically (every couple of months) while using it.

Chris

Hi, Mia; remember that I have been taking Stem-Kine, which includes a bunch of stuff besides beta glucans--and I have no way of telling what does what; I can say that something more seemed to be happening when I added the S-K to the Immune Support, which I had already been taking for a while. I would say I just feel better overall, sleep is a little improved, walking speed and distance (without provoking PEM) is a bit higher, and my steadiness in walking over rough rocks is significantly improved--enough for others to notice and comment. I am still taking both, though am taking periodic breaks--see reasons on the Stem Cells thread. Best, Chris

Mia

Hello - well, I started taking it today and I felt a difference straight away. It's definitely doing something - although it wasn't entirely pleasant - felt like being a bit overstimulated, and I have a bit of a headache, although I have been having that anyway. It's probably just the body adapting to the new thing.

I can't really leave the house much so I am just hoping for an improvement in my ability to read and play piano, as that is mainly what I'd like to do... hopefully I'll be walking one day! :)

Your treatment sounds very interesting - I had not heard of it and will look into whether I can get it in the UK.

This beta glucan preparation is derived from yeast. It's the only one I know how to get easily. I'll report back if it is helping - at the moment it's definitely doing something, but I don't know what! Would still be really interested to hear what people think about this one. The health claims are quite wide-ranging. I'll be able to see if my cholesterol goes down, as I have high cholesterol! Aside from that, I do not know how to get my NK cell level tested; doctor did not know either.

carolwxyz99

I'm taking the AOR AHCC - 2 a day - costing a fortune - as I have breast cancer on top of my CFS. But don't know how much they are helping. I also have Reiki mushrooms in my chinese herbs. My accupunctuer pulses show I need them a lot. I am allergic to lots of mushroom products but seem to be able to tolerate these.

Does anyone know of a good cheaper form of b-glucan you can get in the UK? Or does anyone know of a cheap source of AOR AHCC?

cfs since 1998

Over the course of the past couple months I've developed numbness in my hands and feet. I decided to stop taking the beta glucan and AHCC and within about 5 days it suddenly got 10 times worse. So I'm not sure what to do now. Interestingly, Dr. Deckoff-Jones reported developing peripheral paresthesia when taking AZT. She seemed to attribute it to side effects of AZT but maybe it is actually caused by XMRV itself.

I'm taking the AOR AHCC - 2 a day - costing a fortune - as I have breast cancer on top of my CFS. But don't know how much they are helping. I also have Reiki mushrooms in my chinese herbs. My accupunctuer pulses show I need them a lot. I am allergic to lots of mushroom products but seem to be able to tolerate these.

Does anyone know of a good cheaper form of b-glucan you can get in the UK? Or does anyone know of a cheap source of AOR AHCC?

All AHCC is the same because it is a patented formula. The best price I've seen is NOW brand in powder from http://www.betterhealthinternational.com

carolwxyz99

All AHCC is the same because it is a patented formula. The best price I've seen is NOW brand in powder from http://www.betterhealthinternational.com

Thanks. I have found this site http://yhst-65588417942016.stores.yahoo.net/index.html which seems to have a very good price for the Kinoko Gold product. They sell the other brands too. For those in the UK they have a UK distribution centre which makes things work out cheaper in the end.

I have doubled my AHCC dosage to 1 g a day and will increase more. I do think it has reduced me getting bugs a little.

carolwxyz99

Biovea in the UK also has quite a good price for AHCC.

Jenny

Is Biovea a good brand? Its a bit more expensive than the one I mentioned though. The US one is offering free international shipping at the moment too.

I have looked at the ingredients description of the various AHCC products. The more expensive AOR brand does not include candelilla wax or cyclodextrin as part of the ingredients list in the AHCC blend. However, all the cheaper brands do. I emailed AOR to ask if they included it and this is there reply.

"AOR does not add candelilla wax or cyclodextrin to AHCC, however, we cannot guarantee that it is not in the product because it is made with a propriety blend and the suppliers cannot disclose information of what is exactly in a propriety blend. We do not assay for those ingredients, however, in a product like this it is highly unlikely that it would be in it as there is no reason for them to be in there."

The other brands include candelilla wax and cyclodextrin in the AHCC blend part of the description (i.e. the AHCC amount itself). So this has made me wonder whether these other brands are diluting the AHCC down. I have emailed one of these brands to ask if they have added the candelilla wax and cyclodextrin themselves to the AHCC or whether the AHCC comes with them included and they have not replied yet.

Jenny

Interesting questions about other ingredients carol - I hadn't thought about those.

On price - as an example, one of their AHCC products is $38.00 and the free international shipping is a good deal. But if you're in the UK you have to pay import tax on anything over 18 so that would add at least 10 to the cost.

The Biovea one is 39.95 or 37.95 for two with free shipping. And you get 5% off if you've bought from them before. So there is probably not much in it. I haven't a clue whether Biovea is a good brand - how on earth can we know? :confused:

I was taking up to 3gm a day for over 3 months - didn't seem to help with anything sadly.

Jenny

carolwxyz99

The $38 one has a distribution centre in the UK which is significant. Things are actually posted from the UK distribution centre to the door by Royal Mail so no extras to pay - well that is what they told me - haven't actually put it into practice. But they did say deliveries can take up to 3 weeks.

I think the AHCC has been helping me a bit - I have not gone down so badly with the bugs going round. I am only on 1g a day but have reiki mushrooms in my chinese herbs too. But I have also started methyltetrahydrofolate which is helping me too.