• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone here having damage of Central Nervous System because of CMV?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Tricin (a flavonoid found in rice bran) at a doses starting from 7 mg showed "extremely high anti-human cytomegalovirus activity" 1 Unfortunately there is far too little tricin in rice brain to make eating it worthwhile for antiviral purposes — you would have to eat 10 kilos of rice bran a day to get 7 mg of tricin. Shame, because tricin would be an extraordinary antiviral for cytomegalovirus otherwise.
Do you think a rice bran extract would have it? I found this food additive: https://floridafood.com/products/vegstable-plus/ (Though maybe they would only sell to someone in the food industry??)

Hip

Do you think a rice bran extract would have it?

I don't know, but I found some papers which provide tricin content of various foodstuffs.

This paper says Oryza sativa (Asian rice) leaves contain tricin at 7,060 mg per kg = 7 mg per gram.

This paper says Oryza sativa culms (ie, shoots) there is only 0.45 mg per gram.

By my estimates, an oral 70 mg dose of tricin should result in a good antiviral effect against cytomegalovirus. That would equate to 10 grams of the Asian rice plant leaves.

So I was possibly thinking of growing some Asian rice plants in the garden, and harvesting the leaves. I read that these leaves are not normally used for culinary purposes, but are given to animals to eat, so presumably that means they are safe to eat.

The first paper also states that the leaves of Phyllostachys glauca, a bamboo plant, contain tricin at 26,500 mg per kg = 26.5 mg per gram, which is even higher than in the rice plant leaves.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
The first paper also states that the leaves of Phyllostachys glauca, a bamboo plant, contain tricin at 26,500 mg per kg = 26.5 mg per gram, which is even higher than in the rice plant leaves.

I asked Perplexity.AI if bamboo leaves are edible and it said, "...the leaves from Phyllostachys glauca are not edible. While bamboo shoots from various species are edible, it is important to note that the leaves of bamboo plants, including Phyllostachys glauca, are poisonous and not recommended for consumption

:(

So I asked if tricin is in the bamboo shoots too and it said, "Yes, tricin can be found in bamboo shoots. Research has shown that tricin, a flavonoid compound, can be isolated from bamboo leaves and shoots
. This compound has been studied for its potential health benefits and is present in various plant species, including bamboo

I just didn't ask it how much. (First part of my day is the worst for brain fog.)