• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone Have Leukoplakia or "Hairy Leukoplakia"?

When I went to the dentist today, she told me I had both Leukoplakia and "Hairy Leukoplakia" in my mouth. I went home and looked them up on the Internet, and the consensus of opinion was that plain Leukoplakia could be caused by irritation of the mouth by cigarettes, sharp teeth, thrush or immune deficiency. Since I have never smoked, I am inclined to think it is a sign of just how bad my thrush (candida) and my immune deficiency have become.

"Hairy Leukoplakia" was said to be caused by long term Epstein-Barr infection. It is mostly people with AIDS who have it.

I have been taking Valtrex for ten years for the Epstein Barr, but recently I have cut back because it, like antibiotics, tends to make candida worse and I worry about its affects on my liver and kidneys.

Has anyone else had this and how did you treat it?

Thanks,

vdt