• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone has vision just like when you're drunk?

1gooddog

In my opinion it stems a) from changeable dopamine, which is re-uptake-inhibited
(you will not get better from lowering it by antipsychotics).
In my further opninion, this sticks to other serious effects, especially to b) to high acetylcholine.
In my one more further opinion, that would disconnect areals of the brain:
front, the slight middle, even the back (to look).

Only at some stage of being quit fine
(if such improvement took place, which I had experienced once),
it should be possible to act for an improvement, doing this or that.

1gooddog

Thank you for your input. I do not take antipsychotics.

Within the past year a neuro ophthal was able to detect the fine twitching in my left eye which is the worst. Occasionally my right eye joins the party.

I find that during periods where I have gone into remission, everything gets better, not 100% anymore, just better. But the periods of remission are shorter and less complete.

I know my eye muscles are fatigued. I use my eyes a lot since I spend so much time in bed. By the end of most days I am seeing double and then I take Ativan. When my heart is fatigued I take Ativan. I can go for weeks without taking any, but when things are especially bad and I have these issues, I use it as a muscle relaxer and it works.

My research on phages led me to monocytes and cytokines.
https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12967-017-1371-9

Other readings I have bookmarked: Dr. Charles Shepherd, medical adviser to the ME medical assoc in UK. A very interesting article in the Telegraph concerning high time doctors apologized to ME/CFS patients. He is the doc who came up with disability scale based on MS scale.

Kaiser Permanente still believes in gentle exercise for CFS. Dr Shepherd says the Pace trials have proved ineffective.

Good luck and get a med card from your doc re the dizziness and stumbling, just to show the cops. OR, don't get pulled over. lol

1gooddog

One of my worst symptoms is a vision like you have when you're drunk It's kind of like I'm looking through a glass or a veil put in front of my eyes. I see things but don't comprehend what is seen. If I try to read something I can stare at sentence and don't comprehend meaning. It's especially very bad when I'm driving when there's
alot of information that brain has to process, or going to a store with lots of items on shelves. It also gets alot worse when lights are turned on all objects look kind of "different".

1gooddog

Going through a grocery store, scanning shelves and turning is one of the worst things i can do to eyes and body. All systems shut down from what i call sensory overload. All of my senses are hypersensitive. Eyes, ears, skin, temperature. Brain. Others think I am a 70 yr old big baby. Causes me to want to avoid others.
I had forgotten yesterday' research into mast cells and cytokines.
There is so much to learn and study about this disorder. Patient input is vital.
In the 1950s psyches joined the medical act and declared it all psychosis - without interviewing any patients.
Go figure.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Good luck and get a med card from your doc re the dizziness and stumbling, just to show the cops. OR, don't get pulled over. lol

Though I experienced different symptoms, including lacks of sharpness, awareness and depth when looking,
all actual symptoms may going to vanish at once now and then.
"So it must be..." well, now I experinced a lack of imagination, including a lack being interested in details.
"Well, this can be helped." so I got to some antipsychotics, but I took only one and will never again,
stumbling around, running against strong opinions, being a ... but next time I will write down all that nonsence.

But well, aside with nonsence, imagination, and even phantasy,
the brain is such a complex entity that one should better refute to have such a thing, especially when being a doctor.

Last edited:

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
I know since long that my left eye is stronger than my right one. But then as well, I can not catch up with peolple whose eýes are realy pointing out in different directions. I never came to any point to ask them how it might be, but would never forget as well - probably because being ill myself since very long.
I only look like being ... somehow ... and indeed I can not focus well, I even cannot answer well, I even can not walk sometimes with confidence, I cannot concentrate well (but most time good enough for being recognized well enough).

Indeed, I think me/cfs will not be of severe damage, and could it be removed, there wont be any damage left. - Well, there shall be obviously some different causes for a dizzy. - But as it is not known for being able to get removed, it can be enough to look at eternity easily (which is not understood by most persons as it seems).

Last edited:
I am brand new to this forum, and this is my first post... This particular thread has been a treasure to find - since no-one understands what I'm talking about - even if they nod in silence, it's obvious they have no clue.
I had this exact symptom of feeling like I'm in a dream, unable to process visual information 34 years ago - when I was 20. The previous 3 days to my "giving up" and "breakdown" were of zero sleep. It was the first time I had suffered sleep deprivation... By day 3 I was desperate. The world had changed - I was so scared. Felt suicidal.
Granted, this symptom seems similar to "dsrealization" - so I was admitted to a psychiatric hospital.
After two weeks I was better, and had no relapse, until two months ago. I have had sleep problems since catching covid in Feb 2022. Now, each day is a struggle. I am a teacher, and so am "performing" each day to an audience. No place to hide.
I thought the recent severe sinusitis may have played a role. But no.... I went out for a pizza with my partner on Xmas eve.... It was so unbelievably bright - I know the pizzeria well - but I didn't recognize it.... It's so frightening. My brain doesn't have the capacity or energy to process so much visual data.
My doctor, my eye doctor, ent doc have no idea what I'm talking about.
I feel like I was 34 years ago. So scared for each day.

I'm also relatively new to this forum and have had visual symptoms that were quite distressing and hard to describe to doctors. It's like a combination of mild oscillopsia (feeling like objects that are still are actually vibrating or moving slightly) and derealization (slight sensation of distortion in the visual field which makes the world appear unreal), with a mild feeling of vertigo accompanying the experience.

It tends to be worse when looking downwards or when viewing bright lights at night. I also noticed that, when I'm more tired, I get the feeling that my vision shakes whenever I take a step or make a quick movement, as if my vestibular system cannot compensate for that.

Wanja

I am brand new to this forum, and this is my first post... This particular thread has been a treasure to find - since no-one understands what I'm talking about - even if they nod in silence, it's obvious they have no clue.
I had this exact symptom of feeling like I'm in a dream, unable to process visual information 34 years ago - when I was 20. The previous 3 days to my "giving up" and "breakdown" were of zero sleep. It was the first time I had suffered sleep deprivation... By day 3 I was desperate. The world had changed - I was so scared. Felt suicidal.
Granted, this symptom seems similar to "dsrealization" - so I was admitted to a psychiatric hospital.
After two weeks I was better, and had no relapse, until two months ago. I have had sleep problems since catching covid in Feb 2022. Now, each day is a struggle. I am a teacher, and so am "performing" each day to an audience. No place to hide.
I thought the recent severe sinusitis may have played a role. But no.... I went out for a pizza with my partner on Xmas eve.... It was so unbelievably bright - I know the pizzeria well - but I didn't recognize it.... It's so frightening. My brain doesn't have the capacity or energy to process so much visual data.
My doctor, my eye doctor, ent doc have no idea what I'm talking about.
I feel like I was 34 years ago. So scared for each day.
Hey David,

I know exactly how you feel, I have it pretty severely... Lots of people with ME, Lyme etc do. You are not alone with this and we are all looking for solutions. Hope you had some improvement in the meanwhile.

Wanja

I'm also relatively new to this forum and have had visual symptoms that were quite distressing and hard to describe to doctors. It's like a combination of mild oscillopsia (feeling like objects that are still are actually vibrating or moving slightly) and derealization (slight sensation of distortion in the visual field which makes the world appear unreal), with a mild feeling of vertigo accompanying the experience.

It tends to be worse when looking downwards or when viewing bright lights at night. I also noticed that, when I'm more tired, I get the feeling that my vision shakes whenever I take a step or make a quick movement, as if my vestibular same
Wow your Symptoms resemble mine pretty closely. Do you also have issues focusing on one point? Like you are always looking "through" what you are actually looking at. Feels a bit like your whole vision just went periphere. I got a little better on that front with lyme treatment but it's still my most devastating symptom + really bad anhedonia.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I can't read a lot right now but I thought maybe these two threads might be of interest to those having issues like described in this thread. Hopefully there is something here that will help:

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-to-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-diagnosis.87370/

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...ting-this-improved-my-symptoms-i-think.81585/

Edit: And I just found something else on this page under the heading Ocular Motor Project: https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2021/10/17/chris-armstrong-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-metabolism/ (Rats, that's the same topic really as the first link I posted. Sorry. :))

Last edited:

Seadragon

mild oscillopsia (feeling like objects that are still are actually vibrating or moving slightly)

I have this in my peripheral vision.

Also visual vertigo - eg when scrolling or lots of movement on TV, with accompanying sharp eye pain.

Both of these worse when crashed/in PEM.

Tsukareta

Had this exact symptom occasionally this year. Its like things in the distance / other side of the room just seem like a flat 'background' that don't really exist as 3D objects that your brain recognises as really present. I also often have a slight 'spinning ceiling' effect like when very drunk, but I don't remember having this years back, I believe its due to candida overgrowth producing toxins like Acetaldehyde.