• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone had a significant cognition boost from Turmeric ?

Hip

I looked at your Saffron link, that in the UK.
I hunted down a similar product here in the US:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079BQQVY...colid=WI062K9WGSNJ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

That looks like Iranian saffron rather than Spanish. I have not really tried Iranian; it may be just as good, but I've always used Spanish.

You can also buy saffron in capsule form from supplement sellers. I have not yet tried this as a comparison, but I assume it would be genuine saffron.

The saffron sold in UK supermarkets also appears to be genuine (when I tested some supermarket saffron using the fake saffron test, it came out as legit). But supermarkets tend to give you a small amount of saffron for a highish price, so it is not the most economic source.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Do you have a brand you'd recommend? There are so many out there, and I'm slightly lost.
I use Bio-Schwartz Curcumin & Turmeric, which is a combo of the isolate, curcumin, along with traditional whole turmeric and added Bioperine for absorption. I add about a teaspoon of coconut oil when I take it, just to make sure there's enough fat to help absorption.

I'm not a big fan of single isolates, because it leaves behind a wealth of God knows how many other beneficial elements in the whole form of an herb that researchers may not have caught up with yet, and probably won't.

I think this is an excellent product, with a far friendlier price point than some of the others I checked out .....

On my better days, I can see the diff that taking the curcumin/turm makes in terms of clarity, focus, and cog. On my not so good days, I can barely see my hand in front of my face .....

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

The absorption of turmeric is so low and half life so short that I don't consider it a useful supplement. Curcumin properly formulated has excellent absorption and in time release form is convenient.

Here's a good one (click).
Thanks for the link @gbells.

This looks like a stellar product, will give it a shot when I run out of BioSchartz, and will try to remember to check back here with report on efficacy .... I may continue the BioSchwartz in order to get full-spectrum turmeric ....

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Thanks for the link @gbells.

This looks like a stellar product, will give it a shot when I run out of BioSchartz, and will try to remember to check back here with report on efficacy .... I may continue the BioSchwartz in order to get full-spectrum turmeric ....

I recently saw an ad on Facebook with them for a free bottle. I'm not sure if you need to buy one. Try messaging Innovixlabs and type Free Bottle then ask for curcumin and they might send you one.

This is the only one with time release high absorption. I wouldn't bother with the full spectrum. Curcumin is the only molecule that you need for inflammation.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I recently saw an ad on Facebook with them for a free bottle.
That's very kind of you ..... unfortunately, I refuse to be Face-booked because I' pretty much a Luddite .... more and more tho, I realize that along with crap, there's information in them thar hills. Maybe smeday.
I wouldn't bother with the full spectrum. Curcumin is the only molecule that you need for inflammation.
ME is more than inflamation, and there are other compoenents in turmeric that show promise, and those're just the one's that they've bothered to investigate and research. There're volatile oils like ar-turmerone, α-turmerone, and β-turmerone among others.

Like I said, not a big fan of concentrated isolates from a whole herb. That said, your link to the curcumin product looks really good ....thanks again :hug:!!!

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
That's very kind of you ..... unfortunately, I refuse to be Face-booked because I' pretty much a Luddite .... more and more tho, I realize that along with crap, there's information in them thar hills. Maybe smeday.

ME is more than inflamation, and there are other compoenents in turmeric that show promise, and those're just the one's that they've bothered to investigate and research. There're volatile oils like ar-turmerone, α-turmerone, and β-turmerone among others.

Like I said, not a big fan of concentrated isolates from a whole herb. That said, your link to the curcumin product looks really good ....thanks again :hug:!!!

You're welcome. I've been using it for a year. It's good.

Here's the ad. Free bottle. Message them 'Free Bottle'.

@Bansaw Turmeric is the raw ingredient. It is not very bioavailable at all and is loaded with oxalates, which are sharp crystals which impact mitochondria, cause pain and create oxidative stress.

Curcuminoids are the most widely used bioactive ingredients derived from turmeric, sand are known as curcumin. Curcumin is an antioxidant, broad spectrum phase II detoxer, anti-cancer, a COX2 inhibitor and anti-inflammatory.

I use it to decrease brain swelling after my IVIG treatment and it is very helpful.

I used to get IVs if it and found it very helpful. Unfortunately, it is not available in the US currently, so I had to switch to oral and I tested several brands to see which one work the best. Though I use a lot of Thorne Research products, And I know that Thorne Meriva has good science behind it, I tried up to eight grams a day, and it wasn't as effective as the IVs were. I tested Longvida, Liposomal, Thercumin, Sabinsa's formulations, and all the other "high bioavailability" products on the market, and only two had the power I needed:

https://shop.designsforhealth.com/curcum-evail-softgels

and

https://www.nurish.me/products/corecumin - very concentrated - treatment is 3 drops, sublingual.

They are expensive, but effective, and noticably better than any of the others.

hi learner! I’m looking to try some Curcumin to feeling as if my brain is inflamed/on fire lol.

what symptoms did this help you with? And how do you use them?

I bought some curcumin powder in bulk and mixed it with pepper and oil, no result , other than a more yellow kitchen.
I've recently started "theracumin" which supposedly crosses the BBB, about a week ago, Im dealing with PEM at the moment but I will provide feedback here in 4 weeks if it's remarkable

Learner1

I’m looking to try some Curcumin to feeling as if my brain is inflamed/on fire lol.

what symptoms did this help you with? And how do you use them?
Curcumin has helped symptoms in two ways:

1) brain swelling and headache after my IVIG treatment. It typically helps within about 15 minutes of taking 2g of the CurcumEvail product. Other brands were not as effective or quick.

2)Detox crises, with headache and intestinal symptoms, which have happened when I've tried to detox heavy metals too fast.
I bought some curcumin powder in bulk and mixed it with pepper and oil, no result , other than a more yellow kitchen
Curcumin is not very bioavailable. Even with the strategy you mentioned, it's not likely to be too helpful. Sunlight will get the stains out.
I've recently started "theracumin" which supposedly crosses the BBB, about a week ago,
I tried Theracumin, And it wasn't very helpful for my symptoms.
Im dealing with PEM at the moment but I will provide feedback here in 4 weeks if it's remarkable
Curcumin isn't very helpful for my PEM. Antioxidants, like ALA and glutathione, hydrocortisone, and NAD+/NMN are helpful these days, and BCAAs, which work in the mitochondria did in the past, but it seems I no longer need them.

lenora

Hi....I took turmeric/curcumin for many, many years as it was supposed to help with the inflammation caused by shingles. Of course sleep was out of the question for me as it is on so many nights.

Imagine my great surprise when I read that turmeric/curcumin actually causes irritation and interferes with sleep. Also, I can't say it did anything for my cognitive decline, but I can't definitely lay the blame at its feet. When you're really sick with an illness...really, really you have no cognitive power to begin with.

With me, an ordinary M.E. Day brings the ups and downs of the illness, of course, but my cognitive abilities seem to stay in the same range. Yours, Lenora.

Last edited by a moderator:

lenora

Sorry @ MonkeyMan, I read that quite awhile ago (in a serious publication) and it led me to stop using turmeric/curcumin totally.

When it was first introduced it was for inflammation. Whether this is true or not, I can only say that you can't rely on my situation. I'm not trying to make anyone's mind up. I was simply asked if this helped my cognition, and I have to say, in all good faith, that it probably didn't. I was on it for years and years. How does one measure help if it doesn't happen immediately? I wish you well....Yours, Lenora.