• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone get less frequent colds with CFS?

Swim15

Since my CFS started I’ve noticed that I never come down with colds or seasonal allergy symptoms like I used to and they are very rare now whereas I’d get something 2-3 times a year previously at least.

I know this isn’t what’s typically cited for CFS but anyone else experience this?

Wishful

Yes, the question has been raised before, and yes, PWME often seem to get fewer viral infections. Another subset seems to get more infections. I've had two viral infections that I can recall since 2001, and both only lasted a day or two IIRC.

godlovesatrier

Not at all, never have. I am far more sick since I got ME. It used to be very bad I would be sick with a cold every 3 weeks from oct to april 1st, it was basically one cold that went on for 2 months or a virus or whatever. My immune function has declined over time too. I noticed a massive difference in the last 12 months.

I noticed a massive drop in infections when I started working from home 4 days a week, even moreso when I got up to 5 days a week. But I only need someone to sneeze near me and I'll pick something up if I'm at home. My body can't quell even small amounts of something. Plus today the second wave is well on its way with the UK, biggest daily rise in infections for 33 days, by quite a way.

keepswimming

I've had CFS for 19 months now and in that time I've only had one cold. Normally I get ill a few times over the winter so that seems like a reduction to me.

On the other hand my hay-fever has been much worse since having CFS.

keepswimming

I think out bodies are on hyper alert and knock things out fast before we know we got 'em. The hyper alert perhaps contributing to our feeling of "meh."
Sometimes I feel like I'm coming down with something and then it never turns into anything... However as the symptoms of coming down with something are similar to PEM I'm not sure if my body has fought something off or if its just CFS symptoms!!

ljimbo423

Since my CFS started I’ve noticed that I never come down with colds or seasonal allergy symptoms like I used to and they are very rare now whereas I’d get something 2-3 times a year previously at least.

I know this isn’t what’s typically cited for CFS but anyone else experience this?

I haven't had a cold or flu in about 15 years or so. ME/CFS has my immune system very over-active. I'm pretty sure I got covid 19 a little while ago but my symptoms were mild and I didn't even spend any time in bed.

The covid made me feel pretty miserable though for 6 days. Day 7, 8 and 9 I felt better but still had a lot of fatigue and malaise. I woke up on day 10 and it was gone.

That's the only time I've been sick with a virus in 15 years or so.

Hip

Numerous threads on this phenomenon.

A poll found about 80% of ME/CFS patients have less colds; but 15% have more colds.

Rich Van Konynenburg even offered a possible explanation for the phenomenon, based on parts of the immune system being weaker, so the first line interferon response get ramped up to compensate.

Juanita Vee

I'm one of the lucky 80%... fewer colds here! So interesting! I swear I can even smell a cold hanging out in my nose, my throat will start feeling scratchy, but nothing ever materializes, it's gone before I know it.

lenora

Hello everyone....I've had this for 35 years now. In the beginning I used to catch everything. My husband finally stopped shaking hands in the winter as he wouldn't get sick, but I would. I always had what the other sick person had.

I also have ribs that can be go out of place very easily, thus coughing is especially difficult for me. No, I don't seem to get colds any longer, but I now have 10 mos./yr. allergies that are severe and cause bronchitis, even pneumonia on occasion. On the other hand I am 73 yrs. old, and have no immune system & so many other serious problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
If I would go back to eating my allergy foods though, I know I would start to get them again. That's what happens when I cheat so for me, the colds are related to my diet.

I think some of us have changed our diet significantly. We are more aware of the things we react to so eliminating them also might have something to do with the fewer colds.