• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone ever had a heart attack?

Kati

Patient in training
The best advice, Mr Kite, is stop wondering and go get yourself and your heart checked in emergency.

And let us know what's going on.

Lily

*Believe*
Hi Mr Kite

I can understand your concern regarding these symptoms. What you have described certainly is not one of the classic presentations of an MI, but that said, you probably know that many people do not demonstrate the classic symptoms. That is of course, why no one should ever tell you, ahhh nothing to worry about.

As you described the symptoms though, I couldn't help but think you have described many of the symptoms associated with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. This is a condition I've seen quite a bit of even though it's considered rather rare. Blood vessels and nerves pass through a narrow space between the armpit and shoulder and can become compressed. Often seems to become somewhat of a chronic condition. People complain of pain in the neck/ shoulder and numbness and tingling of the 3rd-5th fingers and sometimes the forearm. Many times is accompanied by weakness in the grip and arm, but not always.

Of course it could be many other things, but your description brought that first to mind. You'll feel better if you get it checked out. At least have a check to rule out any cardiac problems. You never know, and that's not a good thing to ignore.

Best Regards,

Lily

jeffrez

The best advice, Mr Kite, is stop wondering and go get yourself and your heart checked in emergency.

And let us know what's going on.

Okay, well what's the second best advice? :tongue:

I'm in the midst of a crash now, and I think going to the ER would be next to impossible.

jeffrez

Hi Mr Kite

I can understand your concern regarding these symptoms. What you have described certainly is not one of the classic presentations of an MI, but that said, you probably know that many people do not demonstrate the classic symptoms. That is of course, why no one should ever tell you, ahhh nothing to worry about.

As you described the symptoms though, I couldn't help but think you have described many of the symptoms associated with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. This is a condition I've seen quite a bit of even though it's considered rather rare. Blood vessels and nerves pass through a narrow space between the armpit and shoulder and can become compressed. Often seems to become somewhat of a chronic condition. People complain of pain in the neck/ shoulder and numbness and tingling of the 3rd-5th fingers and sometimes the forearm. Many times is accompanied by weakness in the grip and arm, but not always.

Of course it could be many other things, but your description brought that first to mind. You'll feel better if you get it checked out. At least have a check to rule out any cardiac problems. You never know, and that's not a good thing to ignore.

Best Regards,

Lily

This sounds very much like a possibility, thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to research it more. It happened right as I bent over to pick something up, so it might be possible that some nerves got really compressed.

Lily

*Believe*
Mr. Kite, I just want to emphasize that many people with heart attacks do not present with classic symptoms. Depending on your age and other factors that come into play, I don't think you want to ignore this. If you have health insurance, most companies have a 24-hour nurse line that you can call. They have a nice and rather quick way to triage the situation. Is that a possibility? Or how about giving your family physician a call?

I understand how things are during a crash, truly I do and what effort it takes to do things. From your description it does seem likely that vessels and nerves could be compressed, but you don't want to assume that.

Lily

CBS

I cannot imagine any better advice than that already given by Kati (a nurse). Death by heart attack at a relatively young age is not uncommon in CFS.

alice1

Mr Kite
PLease go to the emergency or call an ambulance and get a proper diagnosis.I would think not knowing would only cause more stress.

jeffrez

Mr Kite
PLease go to the emergency or call an ambulance and get a proper diagnosis.I would think not knowing would only cause more stress.

Thanks - I will consider that if it gets worse. I did some of the stretches on the Wiki page though - flexing the shoulders forward and back, stretching the arms out - and I think there is already some improvement. It might just be from the anti-inflammatories I've been taking, or the benzo, but so far it is not worse, at least. Maybe tomorrow I will have a better sense of what it's all about.

jeffrez

I'm much better today after the stretching. I think Lily nailed it that is TOS or a TOS-like syndrome.

brenda

Mr Kite

One natural treatment for heart attack is a teaspoon of cayenne in water (do a search) every few minutes till it abides. It is supposed to be really effective and I would do this if I was in that position until I got help but hopefully it was not what was wrong this time. Magnesium is also supposed to be used by some doctors.

Lily

*Believe*
Glad you are feeling better, Mr. Kite. However, it would be even better if you'd get yourself checked out (and not the chiropractor) See him after your doc has done an EKG. You can't be too careful.

Take care
Lily

Lily

*Believe*
Sounds very likely you're right. As for the SSRI +MAOI interaction:eek::eek:, that could have been much worse. The cayenne pepper isn't a cure, just a vasodilator that might buy you some time in an emergency.

The ER is a pain in the neck (or another place:), but they're pretty darn good when you have a real emergency. Let's hope you never need one for that reason.