• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else with this weird neck sensation?

ChookityPop

When I got sick in 2014 I had a lot of neck pain. Strainy muscles, feeling like I couldnt hold my head up. Sometimes it didnt help laying down.

From symptom start in 2014 I «felt» my neck no matter What I did. The only thing that seemed to help was to use a hoodie. So I basically used a hoodie (with the hood up obviously) for 2-3 years until the weird neck sensation vanished. It felt numb ish from my neck and up in the back of my head/scalp. Very difficult to describe. Using the hoodie made it so I didnt «feel» it all the time since I now felt the hoodie instead which was a huge relief.

Interestingly it vanished simultainously with my recovery. After 3.5 years I started working 30-50% until I relapsed hardcore a year later.

Anyone have/had this?

Or know What it could mean? I find it interesting that it vanished at the same time as I recovered.

Maybe relevant:
I now am diagnosed with autoimmune small fiber neuropathy.

I dont know Where to post this. I probably could have posted it in the pain thread also though pain wasn’t the main symptom in my neck. I had neck pain in the beginning and for a few periods during the 3 year period But the numb weird feeling in my neck/head persisted until I recovered.

Last edited:

hapl808

Mine hurts and feels strained all the time - except when I start a new course of antibiotics, anti-pathogen herbs, etc. Then I get headaches for a day or two, and suddenly my neck pain and strain starts to dissipate. Never goes away entirely and ebbs and flows with my condition and supplements and such, but always here. Even when I was more mild and moderate, it never entirely went away. (I've never had complete remission, though, and been more severe for the past five years).

ChookityPop

Mine hurts and feels strained all the time - except when I start a new course of antibiotics, anti-pathogen herbs, etc. Then I get headaches for a day or two, and suddenly my neck pain and strain starts to dissipate. Never goes away entirely and ebbs and flows with my condition and supplements and such, but always here. Even when I was more mild and moderate, it never entirely went away. (I've never had complete remission, though, and been more severe for the past five years).

Interesting. What are you treating with that combo? And. why do you think the antibiotics and herbal anti pathogen herbs alliviate the neck pain?

hapl808

Interesting. What are you treating with that combo? And. why do you think the antibiotics and herbal anti pathogen herbs alliviate the neck pain?

I don't know why it works. Makes me feel like there's some pathogen there, but it never goes away so I tend to balance the herbs or abx versus digestion and other issues. No solution so far. (I've tried azithromycin, doxycycline, allicin, artemisinin, olive leaf, oregano oil, caprylic acid, etc).

Woof!

Messed up neck here, too - especially C2 which can go out of alignment when I turn certain ways, even in my sleep. I had a horse roll over my head when I was 17 (that didn't help!), but honestly, I can remember my neck being messed up when I was 7.

What helps the most: Rolfing and dry needling (both a life saver!!) Heating pad and BC powders (aspirin + caffeine) as needed.

Yes, neck gets tight especially if exercising or getting hot, and it comes with very slight nausia and a headache that starts off as tension and can turn into a full on headache which lasts rest of day. My stomach also gets 'tight'. I can remedy this with long deep breaths but as soon as I stop it gets worse.