• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else with liver involvment and mast cell issues?

vision blue

Hadn't realized before that years of liver enzyme abnormalities (ALT, AST, GGT) of no known liver cause can be from MCAS. Anyone else have this or know alot about it?

I don't know much about it, but I had high liver enzymes since the beginning. First i thought it was because of a latent gland fever infection, but MCAS is likely too. Not sure how to measure MCAS, he just describes an imbalance in the immune system based on cytokine measurements.

When I asked he mentioned my liver is normal now, but not sure if he actually measured liver functioning.

hb8847

I have high liver enzymes too yes, and I also have mast cell activation syndrome. However I suspect the MCAS isn't the direct cause in my case, rather whatever the underlying problem is it's causing them both. I suspect mine is bacterial dysbiosis which release endotoxins and also trigger mast cells.

vision blue

I have high liver enzymes too yes, and I also have mast cell activation syndrome. However I suspect the MCAS isn't the direct cause in my case, rather whatever the underlying problem is it's causing them both. I suspect mine is bacterial dysbiosis which release endotoxins and also trigger mast cells.

I wonder how many of us have frequently elevated ALT and AST and if its a higher percent than in the normal population, or perhaps populatin with chronic illness.

Probably we all have different reasons for liver enzyme elevations. I think i had mast cell activation issues since infancy, inference based on food reactions and dermatographia at age 10 (and a genetic finding). So for me , that came first. In your case sounds like mast cell overreaction came later. In me, i still don't know if mast cells have caused my elevated liver enzymes I just know the standard battery of livre tests has never turned up anything. And kmow that any new viral illness raises my liver enzymes. I have figured my chronic ellevations are related to oxidiative stress and in my case have assumed it was the extnesive dental work that put me in the land of the sick (at least wave 1. So for me related to detox of the dental chemicals. But recently was reading that mast cells can "infilitrate the liver" whatever that means and elevated liver enzymes can be up in MCAS (though also said for many its cholosteroal related and alk phosphatase- not relevent for me usually) , so it has added a new hyopothesis to explore. Hence wanting to know how many have both mcas and liver enzymes though i suppose a more basice question is yeat another poll- how many have had chornic elevations in ALT and AST with some definition of chronic provided. But since only 37was the max poll responses i've ever gotten, doesn't seem worht the effort.

One step is seeing how many with CFS have both liver enzyme elevations along with a mast cell problem. if that turns out higher than those with cfs that have elevated liver enzymes but NOT a mast cell problem, then one can start to pull apart possible reasons for the association between the enzymes and the mcas.

Last edited:

Lieselotte

My AST/ALT are always on the very high border of normal. Docs don't seem to think it's a problem, but seeing as I have a hard time detoxing, I DO think it's a problem.

Recently someone told me that EBV and mold could tweak your liver. So you could look into that. And mold causes MCAS.

I'm taking TUDCA right now as a way to help my liver. Last test showed improved numbers, but only repeat testing will tell if it's really helping.

PS. @vision blue your profile pic....I have that image on my doormat! :D

vision blue

@Lieselotte Don't think i've heard of TUDCA; will look it up. if your numbers on are the high side of normal, you could ask if theyll do GGT. Its the most sensitive of the tests so it's easier for anything to show up on that one as out of range - which can be useful.

That's really funny about the pic! What company makes/sells the doormat? maybe I should get one!

vision blue

ooh, thanks. just looked it up. weighs 3 lbsheavy. That's my limit. hmm. won't be able to easily pick it up and won't be able shake it off - but still, i could just put it down and leave it on the ground. I think i once almost bought this wonderful tin chest from world market, made in india, very pretty design. i stupidly cancelled it, changed my mine, but when i went back was gone...I'll see if they have same pattern in somethng smaller too.

my ggt this time is 109, reference range 0-60.