• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else tried weight lifting or intuitive training systems?

Hd-x

First off all, I personally believe that strict training concepts like GET dont work for ME/CFS.
So I came up to the conclusion that low volume training is the way to go and started with an intuitive training route.
Intuitive training means NO fixed training days, NO fixed exercises to do.
Or in other words: I still train if I feel "fine" + "enough rested", I decide during the training what exercise I do and how many sets/reps.

Not following anymore strict concepts has finally push me to the next level. (besides taking a bunch off supplements). My regeneration time was worst because off ME/CFS, but was able to cut it down from 14days to 3days. :)
Still the legs are somewhat stubborn and have a hard time with squats + deadlifts.
I am able to push harder to some degree on other exercises (Overheadpress, Dips, French Press, Curls).
My PEM is not fully gone, but significantly reduced.
Interestingly my trouble with the chronicly infected throat has gone, I also dont have anymore subfebrile temperatures - it seems doing some sport is good for my immune system.
So, I am now considering adding cardio training - I am still somewhat unsure if this is obvisously too early as so long there is some PEM left.

Anyone else had success with weight lifting and when do you start to integrate cardio?

Last edited:

BeADocToGoTo1

The benefits are immense if you have the energy and ability to do so. You breathe more deeply and getting lots of oxygen flowing in is crucial food for our mitochondria. Weights are in my opinion better than hours upon hours of repetitive cardio. It will also help strengthen tendons, bone density, cardio, help maintain or grow muscle mass, but also helps with blood sugar control, hormone levels, mood improvement, to name a few.

It took a while for me to address all the nutrient deficiencies. I had to have a hard look at everything I ate and drank to reduce as many insults to the body as possible, whilst providing as much nutrition. Even during the worst years I would force myself to walk, even if it was just to the edge of the street. Once I became stronger, little bike rides, a little yoga, some dumbbells (had to start with 1and 2 pounders!). Very slowly, with lots of PEM set backs. Now I try to do some weights (prefer dumbbells) quite regularly, also to help regulate my blood glucose levels before bed.

If you are re-introducing cardio I would start simply walking. Slowly build up and really listen to your body if you are feeling a set back...don't push through this as it is a warning. If you have a salt water pool (avoid chlorine = toxic insult to the body) or body of water, you can try some easy putting around. Especially with swimming I noticed that I would get big hits in the beginning, so really start with just a few minutes initially. Bike riding is another place to start, but again watch that the enthusiasm of being out there does not push you too hard. Yoga breathing exercises are always a good thing, but the stretching and strengthening exercises are a good way to ease in. I would start at home instead of a busy, hotbox of a yoga studio.

By the way, even for the top athletes, leg days are often their least favorite. :)

Wishful

My input is probably without much value, since I never developed physical issues from ME, though I did get neurological symptoms from physically-induced PEM.

I've been more active than usual the last year, replacing my roof, which required lots of ladder climbing. Then I chainsawed and stacked up firewood from I think eight large trees. I've shovelled a lot of snow in the last week, and split (using a maul) and restacked a lot of wood. The splitting and stacking definitely got my heart and lungs working harder. I haven't noticed any significant changes, positive or negative from all that activity.

I think response to exercise is one of those 'varies wildly from person to person' things for ME. The only way to know your response to integrating cardio is by experimenting on yourself.

Hopefully you won't end up with a ':aghhh: I really wish I hadn't done that. ' episode.

However, if you don't try, you won't have the opportunity for a ':thumbsup: Woo hoo! That really helped!' episode either.

Hd-x

Once I became stronger, little bike rides, a little yoga, some dumbbells (had to start with 1and 2 pounders!).
I had to start with an empty barbell, had some tremor and trouble holding the barbell.
With the time I figured out the tremor (+ some other neurological problems) were nutrient deficiencies.
My Copper, ferrous and phosphorous levels were low (Vitamine D too)
After fixing all nutrient deficiencies, most off the neurological problems were gone.
I am meanwile able to do 54kg (119lbs) Overhead press and can strict curl 100lbs without getting in any PEM trouble. Still the legs + M. erector spinae remained deconditioned in a strange way: For example I can nowadys walk long routes without major problems, but once I go 1 floor off stairs the legs are hurting.

My idea was to try a little bit bike rides as Cardio training.
The problem I still have with Cardio training is that you have to do it on a regular base to get any benefits out off it but training on a regular base is at last somewhat similar like GET and my experience with GET was bad,
So I am not sure if it is too early for Cardio and if (perhaps) it would be a better idea doing any "intermediate" steps first. (like squats with light weight@HighReps)
Yoga or ThaiChi are btw. also things, on my "want-to-do" list. ;)

I've been more active than usual the last year, replacing my roof, which required lots of ladder climbing.
My activity level was this year higher then in past and can work a little bit in my house + garden.
Usually I am getting tired after 2-3hours work and need to rest, after resting for some hours I can continue to do something. It didnt sound that great first but overall a significant change -> years ago I crashed hard with PEM for the next days and had to lay down into the bed (for several days).

Last edited: