• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else not prepared for the food and tampon etc shortage?

Mouse girl

Hey there,

I tend to be someone who doesn't freak out about certain things, like earthquakes, illnesses (which isn't good with this illness really). I only went to a doctor when my life was literally not livable or I've had life threatening symptoms. So when I saw that some shelves were being depleted, I just figured, well, people are scared but it will be ok. I didn't worry about making sure I was stocked up or on top of what I was running low on. I'm also a bit behind because my health has been so bad, I've just been doing the bare nessessaties so I often run out of things when I'm like this.

Cut to.....me last night realizing that hey, water and gatorade and other things couldn't be delivered to my house so I went to Target late to avoid a crowd and oh my lord! No food. No paper goods. No soaps. No TAMPONS!!!!! It was kinda funny and so bizzarre. I am soooo not stocked up on stuff. I do have toilet paper and enough tampons for now and some food but looks like I'll have to diet a bit and I"m just hoping that the water that I ordered will be delivered cus you can't drink the tap at my house, old rusty pipes. I can deal with being hungry but not without water, toilet paper, and tampons! Hello!

So, anyone else like me? Not a worrier but realizing, hey, I should have been just to make sure I have stuff cus hello, I'm high risk. LOL I heard there were lines around the block at Trader Joes and they are out of everything. I'm really glad they are closing schools and stadiums, meeting, etc because as of now, the death rate is high for a virus and it has a pretty long incubation period so it's dangerous but dude, feel a bit stupid being so lax when I am science minded and have been intrigued by the Spanish Flu and virus mutations, medicine etc. Just caught off gaurd by the grab and run panic that happened this weekend and it's bound to continue for some time.

xebex

Yep I’m never really worried about things like this until it’s too late! Luckily I have washable pads and a moon cup but can’t really use the moon cup as I can’t ever seem to get it comfortable but I have friends who use it successfully. We figured we’d just wipe our butts Indian style! We have stocked up on food and have some basics like lots of rice and pasta and dried beans and tinned tomatoes. But if this turns apocalyptic we do not have enough to get us through :(

Mouse girl

I don't think the viral tool will be apocalyptic because it is bad compared to the flu but it doesn't have the 20% death toll that the Spanish Flu had, it's about 5% for those tested. But than again, I don't worry about health stuff or disasters etc so I could be a fool. lol But.....it's the fear response and food hoarding, grab that could be really bad especially for peeps like me with no one to help and I can't stand in lines etc. But, at least I can drive and walk. Is the moon cup that thing that is like a little cup that fills up inside you? How the heck can you empty it without it being a mess? Can they cause toxic shook because it holds it all in?

xebex

Yes I’d I worry that the fear and panic is going to cause more damage! :(

The moon cup is ok once you get used to it but it can be tricky to start! You just remove and tip into the bowl. I think it can be bit messier with removal than tampons but as you can change less then it balances out and it’s less waste so less mess in that sense too. I would wear the cup for sure if could wear it comfortably! There are some fears about TSS but I read the two women who got it used the cup for 7 days with out removing it er der!

https://putacupinit.com/do-menstrual-cups-cause-tss/

Mouse girl

The cup thing is certainly intriguing. I saw some add for it and just didn't get how it could work. I've met some women who've never used tampons. Pads freak me out and feel like creepy diapers, so I never wore em. Just shows how different we all are. Hopefully, I won't have to deal too much longer. I'm 51. A doctor told me that some women keep getting periods till they are 60! I mean, periods are no big deal for me. I don't have cramps or anything but just would be more convenient to not have to deal with it. By the way, I love how the thread has morphed into period talk. lol Hopefully, it will keep the less evolved away from this thread. lol Certainly more amusing and less stressful to chat about periods, tampons and cups than panic and food shortages.

AnnieT

Rags are your friend ;)

Seriously, I have been there through poverty and not being able to get out at times. If using newspaper.... don't flush it.

Food on the other hand, I always figure as long as I have dry goods like oatmeal and rice, I'll survive.

Diwi9

Administrator
This may sound crazy...but I would not object to people connecting over PR to help other patients out by sending products to them in cases of need. We can network and help one another as we are able. @Mouse girl - if you need tampons, PM me...I will source a box for you.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
Just caught off gaurd by the grab and run panic that happened this weekend and it's bound to continue for some time.
It will get better. Things started shutting down where I am earlier this week, and people began panicking and clearing out the stores. But once people have stocked up and stores have been given a few days to re-stock, I'm confident you'll be able to find more of the things you need. That's what's happened here.

Also, if there are any facebook groups for your community try to join them. In my area people are posting if they're willing to pick up groceries for their neighbors, and some people have even formed organized groups where people can post what support they require, and what support they're willing to offer each other.

EddieB

I’m fairly certain that there is no actual shortage of products, it’s just an overreaction that will pass. I know people in that industry, they tell me they just need time to catch up and restock.

My advice, is to stock up on non perishable items when convenient, as to minimize your trips to the store, as well as reduce your time when you are there, and thus limit your exposure.

Last edited:

xebex

The cup thing is certainly intriguing. I saw some add for it and just didn't get how it could work.
its all about the right angle and lots of bearing down for removal lol! It worked great for me for awhile but for some reason it became uncomfortable. I possibly don’t have the patience or energy to do it right anymore.

Mouse girl

This may sound crazy...but I would not object to people connecting over PR to help other patients out by sending products to them in cases of need. We can network and help one another as we are able. @Mouse girl - if you need tampons, PM me...I will source a box for you.
That is so sweet of you. I'm good for now but I do love the idea of patients helping other patients cus god knows the healthy community have never helped out in any way for most of us even family members and who we used to view as friends when we were healthy.

Mouse girl

Yes, for me with the cups, I wouldn't want to have to worry about weather I got it clean enough again. Infections are no good and I wouldn't have the energy for it. I can barely get clothes and dishes washed with machines.

I'm glad to hear that things got restocked in other areas. I figured that would happen but I do live In LA so.....it's so large and everyone can be so focused on getting ahead or surviving especially those with kids, that sharing or helping out just doesn't exist really at least not for those who are sick. So I do wonder if the hoarding will continue or even get worse here........who knows. Kindness and sanity certainly aren't in the air in general in the last few years so with this, oy! I do love the suggestion of newspaper. I know they use that in other countries for TP. Might help out the newspaper business. I was impoverished for most of my life and I'm used to not eating for days and getting by with nothing or figuring out how find different ways of doing things but my health does suffer without eating now and it's just hard for me to do basics and I have some mold issues with tons of rain we are getting so it's not great timing but it's not so bad.

Thanks everyone for sharing and helping out and keeping things fun and light too.

Wishful

I'm pretty self-sufficient here. If I couldn't drive to town for food I'd snare some bunnies. Haven't done that yet. They're too cute. :)