• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else have low norepinephrine?

crypt0cu1t

IG: @crypt0cu1t
I was going through some old tests from Octover and noticed that I have very low norepinephrine along with my other abnormal test results that you guys know about (high AChR Antibodies, High Salivary Protein 1 Antibodies, High ESR, High CRP)

Does anyone else have low norepinephrine or can anyone tell me if it may be related to my coexisting autoimmune illnesses (Sjogrens, AAG, Autoimmune Encephalitis)

AlleyCat

I have low norepinephrine but I don't know why. The last endo i saw said the test was probably incorrect. So I had another test done and that time it was so low it didn't even register. I'm seeing a new endo next month so maybe I can get an answer. If I do I'll let you know.

crypt0cu1t

I have low norepinephrine but I don't know why. The last endo i saw said the test was probably incorrect. So I had another test done and that time it was so low it didn't even register. I'm seeing a new endo next month so maybe I can get an answer. If I do I'll let you know.
If you do find anything out let me know! Thanks :)

outdamnspot

I think so (based on symptoms); oddly enough, since falling ill, I've constantly sought out things that increase stress/adrenaline -- despite the worsened anxiety -- because it's all my system seems to be running on. Parasympathetic activation can sometimes make me worse and induce some scary symptoms.

BeADocToGoTo1

Of course there can be many reasons. But, here is some food for thought as an underlying cause of low norepinephrine in my case was nutrient deficiencies due to malabsorption, which in turn was due to exocrine pancreatic insufficiency EPI, SIBO, and Candida overgrowth.

There are many cofactors and nutrients needed for the body to produce neurotransmitters, so you could check whether you are deficient in any of the following:
  • Tyrosine. An amino acid needed to produce dopamine, which in turn is needed to produce norepinephrine.
  • Phenylalanine. An essential amino acid needed to produce tyrosine. It cannot be produced by animals and must come from food.
  • Tryptophan. An essential amino acid needed to produce serotonin, which in turn is used to produce melatonin. It cannot be produced by animals and must come from food.
  • Choline is a precursor for the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, and impacts tyrosine related neurotransmitters like dopamine and norepinephrine.
  • Tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4) is a cofactor for the enzymes responsible for the production of monoamine neurotransmitters (epinephrine, norepinephrine, DOPA, serotonin). BH4 requires tryptophan, vitamin B6 and zinc cofactors in sufficient levels.
  • Issues with transforming dopamine into norepinephrine, could indicate vitamin C or copper deficiencies
  • Microbiome imbalance can also influence levels. Clostridia bacteria, for example, can inhibit the transfer of dopamine to norepinephrine.
More background details are in this thread:

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...y-epi-and-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-cfs.62997/

Last edited:

AlleyCat

@crypt0cu1t I went to the new endo today and was told having low norepinephrine means nothing. He said he would only worry if they were high (meaning a tumor on the adrenals). So, another waste of my time and energy. But I thought I'd share what was said with you. Have you found anything out?

crypt0cu1t

@crypt0cu1t I went to the new endo today and was told having low norepinephrine means nothing. He said he would only worry if they were high (meaning a tumor on the adrenals). So, another waste of my time and energy. But I thought I'd share what was said with you. Have you found anything out?
Well, he's wrong. Low norepinephrine can cause all sorts of issues. I've been doing some extensive research on it and was actually told by Dr. McKeon at Mayo that low norepinephrine is a common finding in autoimmune dysautonomia.

manasi12

Well, he's wrong. Low norepinephrine can cause all sorts of issues. I've been doing some extensive research on it and was actually told by Dr. McKeon at Mayo that low norepinephrine is a common finding in autoimmune dysautonomia.
I had low norepinephrine after standing but couldn't corelate as I seem to have hyperadrenergic POTS. This seems true as it is likely autoimmune due to Sjogrens.

manasi12

I seem to have hyperadrenergic POTS as well. Were you diagnosed with Sjogrens?
Yes..almost. I have SSa antibody and severe dysautonomia. But still only managing symptoms with floricot and atenolol.
I don't know about your case much, but seems u have early Sjogrens too. How is your Dr treating it? Is it possible for you to see Dr Brent Goodman in Mayo,Phoenix? He has treated almost 60 cases of POTS with Sjogrens. Meanwhile u can join POTS +Sjogrens group on Facebook. It has some pretty good info.

Last edited: