• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else get recurrent herpes viruses that are not EBV?

jen1177

[And for everyone else, Anyway, still curous to know if anyone else has these non standard recurrences of zoster or simplex that's gotten up into their cranial nerves and/or gives them symptoms like i described of eleectiricty spreading in chest and/or head and alterations to heart rate and blood pressure and/or dizziness. Also interested if anyone has known herpes simplex 1 on their chest or forehead (I know this is herpes gladatorium or however its spelled but that seems like more of a nuisance and no one reports heart trouble from it).[/QUOTE]

Yes, I've been getting chronic shingles for about a year and a half. My first case of shingles I had a rash on my leg that was the diagnosing factor for my doctor, but for about 9 days before the rash appeared I had severe pain starting in my lower right abdomen and going through to my back/butt and then down my right leg. It was internal pain, not pain from where the rash was. But the leg rash did sting/burn and also itch. I also had a set of symptoms: slight nausea, sore throat, migraines would vanish, cognitive problems. After that initial first case, the subsequent cases of shingles were mild, but I'd still get a mild rash which sometimes just looked like bug bites, but I'd also get that whole set of symptoms each time. Occasionally I do still get severe pain and then a about a week later a mild rash shows up in the area where the pain was. The pain isn't helped by motrin or tylenol and percocet didn't even help. But after 24 hours of taking Valtrex, the pain was reduced by 90%. It's bizarre and only a couple of doctors that I've talked to about it believe it's shingles. Most docs don't believe it, and it's hard to get antivirals when the doc doesn't believe I need them.

I also have been getting migraines that start at the base of my skull. It feels like there is inflammation there, and there are crunching sounds when I turn my head. I'm starting to think that my migraines are connected to the zoster virus because they started around the same time that I got the chickenpox when I was 19. And when I get the flare-ups of the shingles, my chronic migraines stop completely.

I am also wondering if this chronic viral issue is being worsened by my taking lisinopril or due to my having a hysterectomy (being without a good hormone balance and severely lacking hormones). The chronic shingles and changes in my migraines coincided with the hysterectomy and taking lisinopril for high blood pressure.

vision blue

@jen1177
interesting on the hysterectomy since its seems anatomically close to where you get your shingles. zoster like all herpes viruses are pretty damn opportunistic, so not crazy to think was woken up from those nerves as a result of the nearby agitation.

also interesting on migraines. i get headaches as part of the cranial nerve involvement, but i know someone else who has bona fide migraines that started fromt he moment she got shingles and persists. is taking the fancy new injection for it- forget its name. expensive stuff.

not familar with lisinopril and will look it up.