• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else crash in the spring? Is it pollen or something else?

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
After I was sick for a few years I began to notice a pattern. While I expected to feel much better in the spring when I didn't have to fight against the winter's chills as much, I generally ended up feeling worse for several weeks.

It's happened again; I'm in a really tough stretch right now. I was recently in contact with several other people with ME/CFS in my area, and they're having big crashes as well right now.

I never really thought about what might be going on before. But I wonder if it might have something to do with pollen :bouquet:? I don't really have seasonal allergies, but I still wonder if having to contend with pollen somehow wears out my system.

Or maybe it could be something else that goes along with the changing of the seasons? But I'm not sure what.

Does anyone else experience crashes in the spring? Or have any theories as to why I do??

Crazy! I'm complete opposite. I crash in the winter. Dec 2 hits and my body shuts down everything. But during the fall my recovery thine is longer than in summer.

I do take a daily allergy medicine, and have never dealt with seasonal allergies. Maybe location had something to do with it? I'm in Washington State.

Learner1

After I was sick for a few years I began to notice a pattern. While I expected to feel much better in the spring when I didn't have to fight against the winter's chills as much, I generally ended up feeling worse for several weeks.

It's happened again; I'm in a really tough stretch right now. I was recently in contact with several other people with ME/CFS in my area, and they're having big crashes as well right now.

I never really thought about what might be going on before. But I wonder if it might have something to do with pollen :bouquet:? I don't really have seasonal allergies, but I still wonder if having to contend with pollen somehow wears out my system.

Or maybe it could be something else that goes along with the changing of the seasons? But I'm not sure what.

Does anyone else experience crashes in the spring? Or have any theories as to why I do??
My bet is it's pollen.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I had a doctor once say everything is cumulative. I've been cheating a bit on my allergy diet and I'm feeling the additional pollen/molds in the air this year.

Usually they don't bother me at all. I never have to take antihistamines at all but right now I'm a little tempted to dig them out of the closet and take a partial one. My skin and eyes have been itchy and irritated for the last couple of days.

Guess, I'll have to get back to being more disciplined on the diet too. :(

YES!!!!! I feel much worse in the spring. I did not notice the pattern until another pointed it out. My twin sis has a theory, she mentioned something called "snow mold," this was new to me. With warmer weather, and thaw, maybe more mold spores? There are about 4-6 weeks in the mid to late March and into April I feel markedly worse. Really bad. And every year I fear my baseline is just slipping away.

Viala

I actually feel better during spring and then again worse in the summer, autumn is also usually better. You are right it can be pollen, mold or it may have something to do with SAD, after long, dark and cold months. We spend too much time indoors and often without proper amount of light. If you are not too light sensitive you can try bright light therapy, starting slowly.
When I started it I had headaches for a few days, and it took me about two months to saturate with light, so to speak. Hard to say how it influences CFS, but I think we should remember that light is also important, same as healthy diet and having a lot of rest.

lenora

Yes, I forgot about life with allergies. It used to be that I had a few weeks off in the summer (TX & heat), but not this year although Dallas has had a whole lot of rain.

At 74 I find they're getting worse each year, and yet they're supposed to improve with age. Uh, not so. We spend a lot of time out on our porch in the summer, but I think we have molds in our house during the autumn (or pollen blowing in from leaves, etc.) and then the really bad stuff begins with pulling out Xmas decs. All of that dust, I think. So then spring weather brings pollen blowing in from west TX. It covers everything & everyone has allergies then.

Our ducts are cleaned out, the house is very clean, but no, Rebecca....you're a far cry from alone. I just hope they don't continue to get worse as the years pass.

After you've lived in a new location for 2 years allergies can return in an even worse form. So don't think b/c you feel better in a different place that you always will.

Both of us suffer from allergies....my husband since he was about 19. His were so bad that he had shots for many, many years. At least I'm happy to say that his have improved with age, while mine haven't. There are also things like Fluonase (nasal spray) OTC if you desire that instead. Good luck. Yours, Penny

Irat

For me and I also known from others and described in ayurveda Medicine too(spring tends to increase kapha when not in balance ) it's the change in season ,.External changes in the environment takes some time for adaption/transition in the internal environment too.Especially for us with a oversensitiv nervous system

The change from winter to spring is very powerful and dynamic,the pulse of life quickenes.Bears comming out of hibernation. Many ppl can feel sluggish ,heavy and cranky more wired and tired during this time. @Rebeccare in German we even use the name spring fatigue....so if you have no allergies I would not take any antihistamines which will just add up to your toxic load,but rather use some tips and food mentioned in those 2 articles if possible ,and good self care to keep you in a state of homeostasis.

https://yogalondon.net/monkey/seasonal-changes-embrace-the-flow-with-ayurveda/

https://medcraveonline.com/IJCAM/ri...-up-with-the-seasonal-effect-on-our-body.html

https://harmonyok.com/2019/11/22/transition-from-winter-to-spring-the-ayurveda-way/

Last edited: