• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone Dealing With Sinus Issues?

Carrigon

I have heard of other people getting it after viral infections. And I haven't found anyone who really had an easy time getting rid of it. Some people swear by the steroid nasal spray, but I'm so reluctant to do it. An equal amount of people had bad side effects from it. I still didn't try Friar's Balsam yet. Been dragging my feet on ordering it. It's an herbal tincture that you're supposed to steam with. I heard it works, but I guess I've been hoping I wouldn't have to order it. A friend told me that her doc said to just have alot of vitamin C and D and lots of fresh air. Well, I've had alot of C and D for months, it's not working. Being out when I can, sometimes the air helps alittle, but it comes back.

Hip

I had a lot of problems with a constant sinus infections after catching a weird respiratory virus that led to CFS. I have no sinus pain, fortunately, but I find that as the severity of my sinus infection increases, I experience horrible anxiety levels (generalized anxiety disorder symptoms). I suspected that these anxiety states are actually CAUSED by the sinus inflammation.

This has turned out to be true: as soon as I eliminated my sinus inflammation (with dietary changes and certain supplements - see later), the anxiety states went away too. So I think sinusitis can actually be a major cause of anxiety states (and perhaps other CFS symptoms too).

In fact, it has been observed that people with CFS, who have sinus surgery to fix their sinusitis, sometimes find that their CFS symptoms greatly improve afterwards. So I am guessing that an ongoing infection in the mucous membranes of the sinuses can affect, or perhaps even spill over into, the brain or hypothalamus (located right next to the sinus cavities), and exacerbate the symptoms of CFS.

The viruses that are thought to cause CFS/ME (Epstein-Barr virus, HHV-6, parvovirus B19, Enterovirus) principally replicate in the mucous membranes, be it the lining of the intestines, stomach, throat, or sinuses, so it makes sense that there is some ongoing sinus inflammation in CFS patients with these viruses, just as there usually is ongoing gut infections - these viruses can inhabit the entire respiratory and gastrointestinal tract, from mouth/nose to anus.

Anyway, I found that the best thing to help clear up the constant sinus inflammation is firstly eliminating dairy products entirely from your diet. No milk, cheese, butter, cream, whey, yogurt. These contain lactose and casein, which promote mucus formation in the sinuses.

Then in addition you may need to add several herbal supplements to your daily regimen that are good for clearing sinus infections. I found that good doses of reishi, echinacea, propolis, and MSM worked well. But there are many supplements that also can help clear sinusitis: cat's claw, cinder vinegar, colostrum, cinnamon seeds, ginger, ginkgo biloa, guaifenesin, horseradish, myrrh, bromelain, oregano, bilberry, goji berries, Pelargonium sidoides, Terminalia chebula, N-acetyl-cysteine, pantothenic acid, and high dose vitamin A.

FernRhizome

well, i may have one of the crazier sinus problems yet....two weeks ago while I was asleep my dear cat DROOLED into both my nostrils. It was horribly disgusting and it happened just after all the threads on pet transmissions of viruses had been posted! My nose got stuffy and then I had some bleeding a few days earlier but then it seemed to clear up for a few days and then I started to go down hill systemically and now I am hardly functionable and my nose/sinuses are totally stuffed up and I am constantly swallowing PND. I go in for blood tests tomorrow & see my doctors on Monday. It's now clear that what happened is akin to a cat bite! Because there was saliva and then it must have irritated the nasel passages causing bleeding which means I could now have a systemic infection (which is EXACTLY what it feels like). Both a localized sinus infection AND a systemic one as well. I don't tolerate any drugs at all and antibiotics cause serious cardiac arthymias. I am crossing my fingers. And it's hard to feel loving toward my cat!! ~Fern

Hysterical Woman

In many of my relapses I seem to get a very stuffy feeling in my sinusses with head pressure and sometimes pain or fullness in the ears, and a general fluey feeling with no temperature. Does anyone get this head cold feeling?

Hi Machair,

Sinus symptoms are very annoying indeed! Several people have posted what looks like great information. I hope that you are able to find something that helps you. One thing that I use that is only a temporary fix is ginger root. I slice off about 1/4 inch of the root and put it in a cup and pour boiling water over it. Let it steep for a while and drink as tea. I also use the crystallized ginger root for quicker results and it makes me feel like I am getting a treat since it tastes like candy to me. Ginger root also has anti-inflammatory properties.

Good Luck,

HW

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I've had chronic sinus congestion and infections for decades. I have tried everything, but very recently after starting GcMAF injections my sinuses (and ears) have begun to clear and drain. I have only had 2 injections (3rd tomorrow) but I certainly hope this trend continues. Since GcMAF increases macrophages, I'd assume I am better able to fight allergies and viruses.

Sinus pain and infection can ruin your day!

Sushi

I always had sinus problems as a good (edit - just corrected typos in this post, but not even sure what I meant here. Child?). They really improved when I had an old carpet removed from my bedroom. Maybe mine's related to dust or mold?

I'm still worse than a 'normal' person, and would never leave the house without tissues, but it's not really a problem. I don't think I've ever mentioned it to my current GP (who I've been with for five years).

jstefl

I have had sinus problems for many years, long before my CFS started.

I went to an ear nose and throat doc yesterday. He did a visual exam with a camera and found swelling , but no infection. He has a very different theory as to why this is happening. He believes that the sinus congestion and inflamation, at least in my case, is caused by acid reflux.

This is a problem that I have had for many years also. My doctor claims that the stomach acid gets into the throat and nasal cavities while you are sleeping, causing the problems.

He tells me that it happens at night when you are laying down because there is a much easier path from the stomach to the throat.

His treatment involves dietary changes plus a tilted bed. He suggests raising the head of the bed to create an angle of about 6 degrees. This means raising the head approximately 10". This angle is enough to keep the acid in the stomach while you are sleeping.

He claims that many CPAP users can stop using their machines after the swelling goes down.

His dietary changes involve avoiding fatty, spicy, and acidic foods. He also suggests that you wait at least three hours after you eat to lay down, avoid cigarettes, aspirin and ibuprofin, alcohol, caffein, and smoking.

I know that this idea may sound kind of crazy to many of you, because I was a bit shocked at first also. I can't do the bed tilt thing, as I have a water bed, but I am working on the dietary changes and am taking Zantac at night to hopefully keep the acid down.

I would be interested in hearing any comments, and will post any good results.

John

Enid

Thanks to you all for this informative thread. Can't add much though suffered with some severe periods after ME. Strangely getting the gut problems under control (with appropriate supplements) has eased the severity - guess it ties in with Kenny Meileir's infection findings.- (spreading through the body ?)

*GG*

I have had sinus problems for many years, long before my CFS started.

I went to an ear nose and throat doc yesterday. He did a visual exam with a camera and found swelling , but no infection. He has a very different theory as to why this is happening. He believes that the sinus congestion and inflamation, at least in my case, is caused by acid reflux.

This is a problem that I have had for many years also. My doctor claims that the stomach acid gets into the throat and nasal cavities while you are sleeping, causing the problems.

He tells me that it happens at night when you are laying down because there is a much easier path from the stomach to the throat.

His treatment involves dietary changes plus a tilted bed. He suggests raising the head of the bed to create an angle of about 6 degrees. This means raising the head approximately 10". This angle is enough to keep the acid in the stomach while you are sleeping.

He claims that many CPAP users can stop using their machines after the swelling goes down.

His dietary changes involve avoiding fatty, spicy, and acidic foods. He also suggests that you wait at least three hours after you eat to lay down, avoid cigarettes, aspirin and ibuprofin, alcohol, caffein, and smoking.

I know that this idea may sound kind of crazy to many of you, because I was a bit shocked at first also. I can't do the bed tilt thing, as I have a water bed, but I am working on the dietary changes and am taking Zantac at night to hopefully keep the acid down.

I would be interested in hearing any comments, and will post any good results.

John

You might want to look into what Dr. Shoemaker does for nasal issues. I think he believes a biofilm builds up, and you need to use a compounded antibiotic spray to take care of the matter. I could be wrong here, but I think I am generally correct.

My Dr follows some of his work, perhaps all?, and he prescribed me a nasal spray about 2 years ago, and it cleared up my crusties for the most part. I do use a VPAP for when sleeping, so I do still have some issues, I am not the best on keeping my equipment clean!

GG

PS The script had the acronym of BEG spray, I still have the bottle in my fridge. Sorry I am just jumping in on this thread and don't know what was said in previous postings.