• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anybody tried an Alpha Lipoic acid IV?

markmc20001

Somebody posted an interesting link from Burt Berkson on another thread. I found it interesting

http://www.honestmedicine.com/2009/...k-and-our-medical-system-the-interview-t.html

I listened to almost the whole interview and am quite facinated with the Lipoic Acid IV's results Burt claims to have given to very serious patients with serious liver disease or with cancer.

The reason I ask about lipoic acid, is because I'm suspicious that liver is giving me alot of trouble, if not most of my trouble. I'm also very curious because Lipoic acid is one vitamin I really think is helping me alot. I have run out of lipoic acid for the first time in 2 years, and without it I seem to be having more difficulties. Especially having troubles with my mouth (gums and lips), which seems to be the only way I can look inside myself. :)

Burt talks about people with liver disease so serious they were expected to die, and they lived after he had given them an alpha lipoic acid IV.

Personally, I would rather try a ALA IV before going for anti-retrovirals. Maybe I don't even need an IV and just can take a few more pills.

alex3619

hi markmc20001, I too am interested in LDN and IV lipoic acid. However, this is separate from antiretrovirals, and for all we know could work best in combination with them. We need research, and so we need funding and political interest, as well as scientific interest. Bye, Alex

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i only glanced over the link but why use it iv, does it work better or absorbed better then oral lipoic acid. I have used oral lipoic acid and n-acetyl-cysteine for years because of their anti-oxidant properties and also because of its protective effects on the liver, especially since being on av's and other meds, so far my liver function has been fine, so im assuming it has been helping protect my liver and kidneys.

cheers!!!

alex3619

Hi heapsreal, the iv use is to provide a medical dose, not a supplement does. It induces liver regeneration, or at least that it is the claim. It may also induce regeneration of other tissues, but the evidence is less good here. Certainly it is helpful in peripheral neuropathy. The LDN stimulates and stabilizes the immune system. So the combination is claimed to improve immunity and regeneration, its not really about treating pathogens or even oxidative stress.

bye
Alex

markmc20001

hi markmc20001, I too am interested in LDN and IV lipoic acid. However, this is separate from antiretrovirals, and for all we know could work best in combination with them. We need research, and so we need funding and political interest, as well as scientific interest. Bye, Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for throwing in the part about the political interest and scientific interest. :eek:)

Good point ALA is different from anti-retrovirals. For me though, since I have taken alpha lipoic acid orally I am not that afraid of it and would be more willling to try an alpha lipoic acid & LDN IV before going on the anti-retrovirals. That was kind of my point.

I think ALA might help with a retrovirus too if I understand the below article correctly?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1724477

Alpha-lipoic acid, a naturally occurring disulfide-compound that acts as a cellular coenzyme, inhibits replication of HIV-1 in cultured lymphoid T-cells. Alpha-lipoic acid was added 16 hours after infection of the T-cell lines Jurkat, SupT1 and Molt-4 with HTLV IIIB and HIV-1 Wal (a wild type HIV-1 isolate). We observed a dose dependent inhibition of HIV-1-replication in CPE (Cytopathic effect) formation, reverse transcriptase activity and plaque formation on CD4-transformed HeLa-cells. An over 90% reduction of reverse transcriptase activity could be achieved with 70 micrograms alpha-lipoic acid/ml, a complete reduction of plaque-forming units at concentrations of greater than or equal to 35 micrograms alpha-lipoic acid/ml. An augmentation of the antiviral activity was seen by combination of zidovudine and low dose of alpha-lipoic acid (7 micrograms/ml). Trypan blue staining revealed no toxic effects of alpha-lipoic acids on peripheral blood mono-nuclear cells and T-cell lines even in concentrations of greater than or equal to 70 micrograms/ml. Therefore, we propose the inclusion of alpha-lipoic acid into chemotherapy trials in combination with zidovudine.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
One thing I have read consistently is that ALA is contra indicated for those with a heavy mercury load. Sorry I have no links.

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
One thing I have read consistently is that ALA is contra indicated for those with a heavy mercury load. Sorry I have no links.

Yes, see Andy Cutler's "Amalgam Illness" for more info on this.

I believe I was the person who posted the information about Burt Berkson.

I believe I was on my way to curing my ME/CFS using Lipoic Acid (taken according to Cutler's dosing schedule). A major coinfection which I caught stopped me from carrying on with the therapy.

Would be interesting to find out if anyone can get access to IV lipoic acid.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Taken orally the R form is supposed to be superior to the basic for of ALA.

dannybex

Yes, see Andy Cutler's "Amalgam Illness" for more info on this.

I believe I was the person who posted the information about Burt Berkson.

I believe I was on my way to curing my ME/CFS using Lipoic Acid (taken according to Cutler's dosing schedule). A major coinfection which I caught stopped me from carrying on with the therapy.

Would be interesting to find out if anyone can get access to IV lipoic acid.

Check out the bottom of this link for Cutler's opinion on IV lipoic acid (that is if one has a heavy metal issue):

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Autism-Mercury/message/56091

Chris

Hi, I am not yet prepared to try lipoic acid IV, but will point out that AOR make a slow release form capsule that they claim is much more bioactive than their regular capsule; you can find more info on their website, www.aor.ca . They only sell the R-form. Best, Chris