• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

anybody knows about MTFR2?

trollo

Hello. Recently my nutritionist suggested me to test for MTFR2 saying that it has to do with homocysteine. I asked him if he wasn't confusing with MTHFR C677T but he insisted about MTFR2. Now i already made the 23andMe test 8 years ago and there are 4 MTFR2 snps in it but i can't find any information on which of these SNPs is the one i should test for. Is somebody here able to help me? Thanks.
Those are my result (raw datas)... Can also somebody explain to me what the alert on the bottom mean?
mtfr2.jpg

Dan_USAAZ

Hi Trollo,
I believe your nutritionist would need to tell you which SNP on the MTFR2 gene they think produces a problem with homocysteine. The SNP would be identified by the RSid (column “Marker (SNP)” from your screenshot). Not having the RSid would be like searching for a needle in a haystack. You would never find it.

As for the alert (*) at the bottom of the page, I interpret it this way. They are saying that this data may not reliable and important decisions/actions should not be made based on it.

Best of luck.
Dan

Last edited:

trollo

Hi Trollo,
I believe your nutritionist would need to tell you which SNP on the MTFR2 gene they think produces a problem with homocysteine. The SNP would be identified by the RSid (column “Marker (SNP)” from your screenshot). Not having the RSid would be like searching for a needle in a haystack. You would never find it.

As for the alert (*) at the bottom of the page, I interpret it this way. They are saying that this data may not reliable and important decisions/actions should not be made based on it.

Best of luck.
Dan
My nutritionist doesn t know the SNP, otherwise i would have simply found the result by myself through 23andMe. About the alert: if they say that , doesn t this mean that this genetic test have no value? If i cannot be sure that my condition for that SNP is G/G what value can this test have?

Dan_USAAZ

About the alert: if they say that , doesn t this mean that this genetic test have no value? If i cannot be sure that my condition for that SNP is G/G what value can this test have?

I wouldn't say no value, but limited. I am in the same situation with 23andMe. They state that their calls are 99%+ and they test for 700,000 variants. Assuming this error rate is accurate, it would suggest there could be up to 7,000 miscalls. So I guess you could say that they are “mostly” accurate.

When I find something concerning in my data, I might try one or more of the following.
  • Consult a genetics counselor.
  • Get additional DNA testing from another company to validate the result.
  • Depending on the possible deficits caused by the SNP, try to get medical testing related to the deficits.

trollo

I wouldn't say no value, but limited. I am in the same situation with 23andMe. They state that their calls are 99%+ and they test for 700,000 variants. Assuming this error rate is accurate, it would suggest there could be up to 7,000 miscalls. So I guess you could say that they are “mostly” accurate.

When I find something concerning in my data, I might try one or more of the following.
  • Depending on the possible deficits caused by the SNP, try to get medical testing related to the deficits.

Then 23andMe is a scam, if i cannot rely on their results it has no value. I wasted my money 8 years ago

SWAlexander

Hello. Recently my nutritionist suggested me to test for MTFR2 saying that it has to do with homocysteine. I asked him if he wasn't confusing with MTHFR C677T but he insisted about MTFR2. Now i already made the 23andMe test 8 years ago and there are 4 MTFR2 snps in it but i can't find any information on which of these SNPs is the one i should test for. Is somebody here able to help me? Thanks.
Those are my result (raw datas)... Can also somebody explain to me what the alert on the bottom mean?
View attachment 44709
If you have or get a „promethease report“ (https://promethease.com/) you have a better chance to find out more about it. Also, if you click, while in the RAW DATA, on the “rs” you can find out more. It is tedious work but very informative.
Download your raw data from 23andme and upload at https://promethease.com/ - https://geneticgenie.org or Enlis

Last edited:

Learner1

Then 23andMe is a scam, if i cannot rely on their results it has no value. I wasted my money 8 years ago
Actually, I found 7 significant genetic issues in my 23andme data that conventional doctors recognize that have shown up on lab tests, and have affected my health and treatment. There were others that have been helpful too.
If you have or get a „promethease report“ (https://promethease.com/) you have a better chance to find out more about it. Also, if you click, while in the RAW DATA, on the “rs” you can find out more. It is tedious work but very informative.
Enlis is helpful too.

Recently my nutritionist suggested me to test for MTFR2 saying that it has to do with homocysteine
I'm not so sure about that - this is a description of what the gene does:

May play a role in mitochondrial aerobic respiration essentially in the testis. Can also promote mitochondrial fission

If you're concerned about homocysteine, best to check levels of Folate, B6 and methylmalonic acid (for B12, not serum B12).

trollo

Actually, I found 7 significant genetic issues in my 23andme data that conventional doctors recognize that have shown up on lab tests, and have affected my health and treatment. There were others that have been helpful too.
Enlis is helpful too.

I'm not so sure about that - this is a description of what the gene does:

May play a role in mitochondrial aerobic respiration essentially in the testis. Can also promote mitochondrial fission

If you're concerned about homocysteine, best to check levels of Folate, B6 and methylmalonic acid (for B12, not serum B12).
In the testis? Really? That's really interesting because i have possibly testis issues because i became infertile suddently 2 years ago. This could be the reason he thought about that... Can i know where have you found such information on MTFR2? I haven t been able to find much about it, it seems quite an unknown gene out there

trollo

trollo

Learner1

In the testis? Really? That's really interesting because i have possibly testis issues because i became infertile suddently 2 years ago. This could be the reason he thought about that... Can i know where have you found such information on MTFR2? I haven t been able to find much about it, it seems quite an unknown gene out there
I think you need to be precise about what genes or SNPs you're looking for. Is it MTFR2 or MTHFR2? Big difference... On rvyounknow the SNP, you can look it up by rs number in SNPedia and other places
I tried to upload my raw data file to Promethease but it asks me money to see the results...
You get what you pay for. It is worth the nominal Costa if these transactions/interpretation tools to find a problem.that can be treated.
On GeneticGenie i don't think i can seek for MTFR2. It says only Methylation and Detox as options.
Again, exactly what gene and what mutation are you looking for? If it's MTFR2 it won't be under methylation and detoxification.

trollo

I received response from 23andMe:
"If you are concerned about a SNP in your raw data that is not included in a report, it may be that this SNP is not performing well. As noted when a customer downloads or searches the Browse Raw Data feature, the feature provides an advanced view of all the uninterpreted, raw genotype data. This data has undergone a general quality review however, only a subset of markers have been individually validated for accuracy. As such, the data from the 23andMe Browse Raw Data feature is suitable for research, educational, and informational use only. It should not be used for medical or other use. We employ a case-by-case review and removal of SNPs where appropriate."
So basically, for what i can understand, only A SUBSET of markers are accurate, the rest is trash. What should be these subset of markers it is not clear at all. I made 23andMe years ago to know mt MTHFR panel but at this point i wonder if all those results were reliable or were just bullshit. Should i pay to participate to a research? WHAT??? Or should i be intended to spend my money in a genetic test just to play with my ancestry and useless stuff like that?

SWAlexander

I received response from 23andMe:
"If you are concerned about a SNP in your raw data that is not included in a report, it may be that this SNP is not performing well. As noted when a customer downloads or searches the Browse Raw Data feature, the feature provides an advanced view of all the uninterpreted, raw genotype data. This data has undergone a general quality review however, only a subset of markers have been individually validated for accuracy. As such, the data from the 23andMe Browse Raw Data feature is suitable for research, educational, and informational use only. It should not be used for medical or other use. We employ a case-by-case review and removal of SNPs where appropriate."
So basically, for what i can understand, only A SUBSET of markers are accurate, the rest is trash. What should be these subset of markers it is not clear at all. I made 23andMe years ago to know mt MTHFR panel but at this point i wonder if all those results were reliable or were just bullshit. Should i pay to participate to a research? WHAT??? Or should i be intended to spend my money in a genetic test just to play with my ancestry and useless stuff like that?

Of course, it is up to you.
I had MTHFR tested in a lab as well, because I was tired to be sick.

trollo

Where do they say their results are 99% accurate? Can you post the link? Are all SNPs reliable 99% or some are more accurate and other are less (as they wrote to me by mail)?