• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anybody here who's knowledgeable about dealing with candida?

Sarah94

I've been struggling with candida (or at least, what I think is candida) since I took a 10-day course of antibiotics in September. I was wondering if there's anybody here who'd knowledgeable about dealing with this, who's be willing to discuss things with me, preferably via private message. I am doing all the "obvious" things - candida diet, taking various supplements which are supposed to help with candida, and taking antifungal meds - but it's still a big problem. My doctor is fairly flummoxed too. I don't have the energy to go through all the threads which already exist on this topic. And would prefer to discuss with just one or two people, because I find that Phoenix Rising threads get too overwhelming for me when lots of people are offering opinions.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hi @Sarah94 - I have two suggestions: (1) virgin coconut oil was very effective for me for getting rid of candida. I just ate it plain, it melts at 76 degrees, so it melts in your mouth. It also caused a very strong herx reaction for me, made me feel like crap for about 10 or 11 days but it worked. I started at 1 tablespoon a day and worked up to 2. Coconut oil can control overgrowth of a fungal pathogen in GI tract, study in mice suggests -- ScienceDaily Unlike antifungal medicines, it has no bad effects apart from die-off reaction. You can google coconut oil and candida for more info - there's a ton of it out there.

(2) I had chronic diarrhea once for 6 months (unrelated to candida) - I tried several different probiotics, cheap and expensive ones, with no results, I was tested for SIBO (negative) and finally tried kefir, and within a week it all cleared up. So whenever my gut gets messed up now for whatever reason, kefir is my go to - it works! I just buy it at my grocery store, health food store is fine too of course.

If there's anything you want to discuss via PM, send me one --

Wishful

Unlike antifungal medicines, it has no bad effects apart from die-off reaction.

I get a bad reaction from coconut oil, and I don't believe that it's die-off. Those MCTs will have some effect somewhere in the body. I think some people will have a bad not-die-off effect, so it's not 100% safe (plus some may be allergic).

Mary

Moderator Resource
I get a bad reaction from coconut oil, and I don't believe that it's die-off. Those MCTs will have some effect somewhere in the body. I think some people will have a bad not-die-off effect, so it's not 100% safe (plus some may be allergic).
You're right, there are people who are allergic to coconut oil (and almost anything). Your reaction might have been a die-off, or not.

I was referring to the type of "side" effects caused by Diflucan: Side Effects of Diflucan (Fluconazole), Warnings, Uses (rxlist.com) Comparatively speaking, I think coconut oil is extremely safe, unless you're allergic or you take too much, etc. The chief negative effects I read about from MCTs are gastrointestinal, and seem to be dosage-related.

Strawberry

Would canned coconut milk have the same effect as oil? I do have oil, but milk is a little more pleasant as not greasy. But maybe it’s the oil plus caprylic acid in combination?

Wishful

Your reaction might have been a die-off, or not.

In my first year of ME (before I knew about ME), I did consider candida as a possibility. The first time I tried a treatment, I felt lousy, so I thought "Yes. This is the expected die-off, so I'm on the right track." Unfortunately, it didn't matter what anticandida treatment I tried, they all made me feel lousy and that lousiness never diminished even after months. That made me dubious of 'die-off' being responsible.

Strawberry

Wow, that’s interesting to hear about the (not) die off reactions. Yikes. And curry? That reminds me I haven’t made any in a long time. I love curry.

OOPS edit to add I did some research and it seems coconut milk has more of the good stuff than coconut oil. It still could be that coconut oil helps just with the oils... but don’t quote me! I have enough coconut milk to last a few months grocery strike. I love curry and Tom kha gai. I also have plenty of coconut oil for the occasional popcorn.

I've been struggling with candida (or at least, what I think is candida) since I took a 10-day course of antibiotics in September. I was wondering if there's anybody here who'd knowledgeable about dealing with this, who's be willing to discuss things with me, preferably via private message. I am doing all the "obvious" things - candida diet, taking various supplements which are supposed to help with candida, and taking antifungal meds - but it's still a big problem. My doctor is fairly flummoxed too. I don't have the energy to go through all the threads which already exist on this topic. And would prefer to discuss with just one or two people, because I find that Phoenix Rising threads get too overwhelming for me when lots of people are offering opinions.
I have candida analytes in my blood, my body responded for a few weeks each to nystatin, xifaxan, doxycycline, but fluconazole had no effect. I experimented with plenty of herbs such as goldenseal and oregon grape root.

Last edited by a moderator: